Easy scaling and moving of Lovelace cards

It would be awesome to move the cards more freely in Lovelace (e.g. drag and drop with the mouse). Using the arrows today causes me nightmares.
Also would be cool if we could scale the cards (with everything that is inside). Just like you scale a picture in a document/presentation

This is being actively worked on. Assuming all goes well you will get your request.

4 Likes

Ok. I looked into 0.115 and moving the entities within the scope of one card is a really good step forward.
And my main point here is to easily move the entire cards within the scope of the entire tab (not using the arrows or manually moving the code). So I hope @tom_l you meant the work is towards the latter, right?

066066649f26c637776fca348c30ffd3

This is what was sneak peeked in the frontend developers discord channel.

Just because it is being worked on does not mean there is a guarantee that it will ever see the light of day.

4 Likes

is there a github ticket or something to follow the progress?

There’s a youtube channel. Zack posts live streams on how his development is going occasionally.

Otherwise the Frontend Discord Channel.

1 Like

This would be an awesome user friendliness improvement.

its been a year since the last post. this would be a really nice feature. moving the cards using the buttons is a huge pain, especially when you have a lot of cards and some very large cards that scroll past a single screen.

It would also be nice to scale the card and have a scroll bar on the right side for long cards.

Is like to see the ability to have elements span rows and columns in grid cards

Any update on this?

It would be REALY nice to have this available.

Heh… I accidentally found this topic after shuffling cards on one of my dashboards using up and down arrows. Of course, every action was resulting in movement to unexpected places.

I know up/down arrows change the order of cards. But rendering on the page doesn’t follow that, trying to distribute the cards horizontally and vertically at the same time. Not even mentioning that UI doesn’t follow the card being the subject of the change. So after clicking on the arrow I have to find the card again and again.
TBH I don’t know any other application with so an unfriendly approach. And I’m really surprised devs are happy with that.

1 Like

Nope.

Very unfortunate. The current ‘move cards’ is a pain.

this is the most accurate post ever, I find this the biggest and most frustrating thing about home assistant and should be looked at as a very high priority user story.

3 Likes

Seriously - we’ve gone another two years down the road from ‘drag n’ drop’ and ‘scaleable’ Lovelace UI discussions and we have - nothing. HA has a significant problem with the completely unfriendly and unintuitive organisation of the UI. It should be properly acknowledged that this is a weakness and a barrier to novice users. We need a UI roadmap declared and then regularly communicated.

1 Like

I’m guessing you did not watch the State of the Open Home presentation?

I did neither, any good news?

the most wanted feature ever…

i would also love to see this feature…

or event updates about the current state of dev

Development has pretty much stalled. However home assistant is moving towards tile cards which theoretically could support drag and drop a lot more easily.