Easy way to make HA accessible remotely(without DDNS+PORT FORWARDING)

How would you do that?

Tasker I suppose.

do you any link which explains (preferably in “simple” way) how all thjis works? Me after 2 years of use still do not get it all

If I cannot understand how to setup DDNS and port forwarding, maybe HA is not for me. Everything about HA is self learning and following guides from forum and documentation. If I cannot pass the first hurdle, most probably I will be better off with cloud based solutions such as Xiaomi, Alexa or Google Home.

2 Likes

Agree, except some Internet providers may not even give you options like port forwarding. This is obviously easily fixed, if you live in a place with lots of providers to choose from… Not my case!

Hi all,

After I installed required files and setting appropriate configuration.yaml, my HA does not display the new card, as per below:

How to solve this issue?

Thanks.

port forwarding is controlled on your router. Yes your ISP will most probably give you a bargain basement one that does not do these sorts of things, but if you are serious, you would have probably upgraded this to something with a little more flexibility… maybe even with IPS nad firewall etc…

1 Like

Thanks for your help. If you know what such plan is available in Indonesia, do let me know…

If you’re using hass.io then use the Zero Tier One addon for remote access for free with no port forwarding or Nabu Casa with no port forwarding and a $5/month fee.

1 Like

If you are not sure what you are doing, then you should be careful as you will open up your home internet if you open ports and forward.

Also, everytime you want to add an add-on that requires a specific port, you will also need to open that port on the router and forward to you local ip address of Hassio… as @DavidFW1960 says, there may be other ways to get access from outside your home network that may be a little safer if you are not sure what you are doing…

What router do you have at home? Find out if it supports Port Forwarding for starters if you want to start looking at that option.

Since this thread was first started, nabu casa has become a reality.

Use it. Support home assistant. Use it.

1 Like

It’s also odds on that he’s behind CGNAT so port forwarding, open ports aren’t an option however both my suggestions will work with CGNAT.

whilst I am all for supporting Nabu Casa, the $5 is not always an option… especially if you are sitting behind a weak currency…

1 Like

Lololol… Thank you so much for your tips… LOL

reading this now, I seem to have missed an important feature of Nabu Casa… I have a subscription and use it to connect to Google Home in the cloud… Or so I thought.

Can we use NabuCasa and do away with Duckdns and Lets encrypt (which I now both use)?

thanks for pointing me to the way to do so.

https://www.nabucasa.com/config/remote/

a yes, thats mighty interesting. The caveats worry me a bit though, since I receive more ip-bans than I like… dont want the full HA instance to be unreachable because of that.

would the port forwarding, which in my current setup is necessary for several add-ons, still be required, or can we do without those also, using nabucasa?

You don’t need any port forwarding if you use nabu casa

Did anyone try @frenck’s method? https://frenck.dev/introducing-wireguard-vpn-for-hass-io/

I think I’ll still go with Nabu Casa for Google Assistant and support to HA, but looks good otherwise…

I’ve been using Wireguard with a split tunnel (i.e. local addresses only go through the VPN) so it’s always on on my phone without affecting normal browsing/apps. Apart from very occasional connection failures (solved with the old fashioned turn off/on again) it’s been very stable and hassle free. I run it on a Pi, alongside PiHole. Couldn’t recommend it enough.

Not a Hassio user (Docker all the way, on a NAS), so I haven’t used his add-on. But the biggest hassle was setting it up initially, so making it available as an add-on like that is awesome.