Echo Devices (Alexa) as Media Player - Testers Needed

STATUS UPDATE:

I’ve been working hard trying to get some of the bugs out and hopefully resolve some of the issues that users have had with the login failing on the add-on, and honestly when researching node.js and nightmare the major issue is that it is remarkably unreliable on different platforms. Therefore I think in the interest of making sure the media_player component works well for everyone I have decided to dump all efforts into removing the need for node.js and the add-on all together and make everything native python.

The issue is that it will indeed need a mechanism for users to input the captcha and my thought is that I can use the component configuration page (like used for ikea trådfri) and allow users to see the captcha and enter the code to make everything seamless.

I’ve already got the code working for logging in, seeing that a captcha is needed and saving it to the file system but I still need to implement the code to present it to the user in the HA gui.

Once this is complete the good news is that the component will not require any external add-ons, it should be faster because it is talking directly to amazon instead of going through the add-on and hopefully will resolve most if not all of the login issues people are having.

Thank you all for your patience and as soon as I get this all working you’ll see a version update from me.

12 Likes

Thank you very much for you hard work getting this up and running for us. Im running Hassio on a pi zero w and have had no luck in getting this to work so far. Looking forward to it is and understatement.

Your work is much appreciated ! Thank you, for your efforts.

thank you for the update and the work.

not working on System HassOS 1.5

error:
Can't install keatontaylor/aarch64-addon-alexa-api:0.5 -> 404 Client Error: Not Found ("pull access denied for keatontaylor/aarch64-addon-alexa-api, repository does not exist or may require 'docker login'")

aarch64 is not supported, but soon the add-on will be obsolete and no longer needed.

Coming Soon

Could help but to share what I have so far.

14%20PM

9 Likes

sounds good, soon you get information in how to test what you developing lets us know
looking foward to make this work :slight_smile:

1 Like

Excellent work! Up and running and working swimmingly. Are you taking any requests? If so I’ll have ‘He’s a jolly good fellow’ please :grin:

I’m dying of anticipation. This is the answer for the masses! Keep up the good work!

1 Like

I’m running hassio but when I got to install the component it tries to install then loses connection. Any ideas?

I just tried to use curl via SSH directly on the vm, and “curl localhost” fails:
curl: (7) Failed to connect to localhost port 8091: Connection refused
127.0.0.1 fails too, using the normal hostname is working fine…

Ahh sorry - didn’t realise support for 64 bit system was available yet!

DrZzs just released a video featuring your component. Just so you know.

4 Likes

Is there any update on playing music from HA to alexa using this component?

Hi, I have this issue. I’ve installed hassos 1.5 and when I try to install the api, I recive the following error in the log:

18-07-16 20:26:24 INFO (SyncWorker_10) [hassio.docker.interface] Pull image keatontaylor/aarch64-addon-alexa-api tag 0.5.
18-07-16 20:26:28 ERROR (SyncWorker_10) [hassio.docker.interface] Can’t install keatontaylor/aarch64-addon-alexa-api:0.5 -> 404 Client Error: Not Found (“pull access denied for keatontaylor/aarch64-addon-alexa-api, repository does not exist or may require ‘docker login’”).

Can anyone help me?

Thanks!

64-bit support is coming soon

Anybody got it works on hassbian?

@hugodelaroza - aarch64 is not supported. See this post - Echo Devices (Alexa) as Media Player - Testers Needed

working in the uk

had to disable 2 step authentication on amazon.co.uk

then everything works as it should

i can play music fine

can send tts fine

only thing ive found it cant do is send tts to the play everywhere group, it will play music fine but but send tts to it so i have to add my media players in seperately

{
“entity_id”: “media_player.kitchen, media_player.living_room”,
“message”: “home assistant set up test”
}

also can control volume great as a script:

alexavol10:
alias: Alexa Kitchen Vol 10
sequence:

• data:
    entity_id: media_player.kitchen
    volume_level: 1
    service: media_player.volume_set