Echo Devices (Alexa) as Media Player - Testers Needed

Do you have a Fire TV device, and are you also running AndroidTV? I had to exclude my Fire TV from alexa_media_player, remove the alexa_media_player integration, restart HA, and add the alexa_media_player integration back to fix this problem.

Hi! I have just added the code under and is wondering if someone could show me how to get Alexa to announce different sensors i have on HA? I am using the latest verison v2.3.4.
I have been searching around but cant find out how to do it. Hope someone can share a code how to do it.

notify:
  - platform: alexa_media
    name: alexa_media

i use for example the following script to announce over the state of other persons an states of sensors (like temperatur) if a person coming home

alex_home:
  alias: Alex kommt nach hause
  sequence:
  - wait_template: '{{ is_state(''person.alex'', ''home'') }}'
    timeout: 00:08:00
  - delay: 00:00:12
  - service: notify.alexa_media
    data_template:
      data:
        type: announce
      target: media_player.radio_wohnzimmer
      message: 'Hallo Alex. Willkommen zuhause. Mama ist {% if is_state("person.mama",
        "home") -%} auch zuhause. {%- else -%} nicht zuhause. {%- endif %} Papa ist
        {% if is_state("person.papa", "home") -%} auch zuhause. {%- else -%} nicht
        zuhause.{%- endif %} Die Temperatur zuhause beträgt {{ states("sensor.heizung_wohnzimmer_temperature")
        }} Grad. Und draussen ist es aktuell {{ states("sensor.openweathermap_temperature")
        }} Grad. Jetzt ist es {{ states("sensor.time") }} '

on the other side i use the following to announce about a text message from an input field…
Lovelace Config

entities:
  - entity: input_text.alexa_durchsage
    type: 'custom:text-input-row'
  - action_name: Senden...
    entity: script.durchsage
    icon: 'mdi:voice'
    name: ' '
    service: script.turn_on
    type: call-service
type: entities

the used plugin for the input field

an the beloning script for this…

durchsage:
  alias: Durchsage
  sequence:
  - service: media_player.volume_set
    data:
      entity_id: media_player.radio_wohnzimmer
      volume_level: '0.3'
  - delay: '00:00:03'
  - data_template:
      data:
      target: media_player.radio_wohnzimmer
    service: notify.alexa_media
  - data:
      title: '*Durchsage*'
    service: notify.telegram_group_channel_name```
3 Likes

Hi,
Is there any way to change the brightness on an Echo Spot using the Alexa Media Player?
thanks in advance!

Thanks @northpower25 :+1:

see

1 Like

Another thing you can do is remove alexa_media_player from configuration.yaml and add it back via the Integrations flow. This is a bit of a hassle as you have to manually disable unwanted devices and entities but seems to be the way the HA developers want components to behave moving forward.

Could I please have some guidance to get room temperatures read out by the echo dots?
I’ve taken a look at the automation examples on alexa_media_player github but the examples are for lights only.

Can someone walk me through how I would change this to temperature?
I would like to ask my echo… “alexa, what is my living room temperature” and have it read out the living room temperature sensor.

That’s what I dis:

question_outside_temperature:
  sequence:
  - service: alexa_media.update_last_called
  - delay: '00:00:01'
    data_template:
      target: '{{ states.sensor.last_called_alexa.state }}'
      data:
        type: tts
        The outside temperatur in the gardes is {{ states.sensor.outside_temperature.state |int |round(0) }} Grad.
        {% if states.sensor.yr_forecast_precipitation.state | int == 0 %}
          No rain in sight
        {% elif states.sensor.yr_forecast_precipitation.state | int > 0 and states.sensor.yr_forecast_precipitation.state | int < 1 %}
         slightly rain is expected
        {% else %}
         Heavy rain is expected
        {% endif %}

Export the script in the alexa section of configuration.yaml
Create a routine in alexa

1 Like

Hi all, I have been using the alexa “type: tts” for while. I want to use “type: announce”, but can’t get it to work. Should it be as simple as replacing “tts” with “announce” or is there something else that needs changing?

Hi Jorg,

Thank you for the example and used your setup to get everything setup. I also didn’t realise you needed to create a routine in the alexa app that pointed to the script (emulated hue light).

All works now for my house temperature and garage door sensor

Great to read that I could help

No, you just have to replace

Sorry if this has been asked already but is there anyway to get Alexa to respond only on the echo you are prompting?
Currently in my scripts specify each echo dot.
If I ask the about temperature… the tts response is across all devices I have specified.

What I would prefer is to ask “Alexa, what is the kids bedroom temperature” when im in the kids room (with their echo dot) and not have it play the response on every echo dot in the house.

only a few posts above I posted the solution:
the sensor update_last_called is the way.

- service: alexa_media.update_last_called
  - delay: '00:00:01'
    data_template:
      target: '{{ states.sensor.last_called_alexa.state }}'
      data:
        type: tts
1 Like

Thanks Joerg. It just won’t work using “announce”. She stays silent!

Here works:

action:
      data_template:
        data:
        target:
          - media_player.echo_salotto

1 Like

I’ve got it now. Announcements were disabled in the Alexa App!

same question from me. Is the feature Online status of devices enough to get the embedded temperature sensor of Amazon Echo Plus?

Hey there , after a complete loss of my hassio config , i am trying to get everything working again… I searched true the hacs integration for Alexa media , and i find it , just no option enabled to hit install… The install button is grey (not available). Should i install manualy again?