Echo Devices (Alexa) as Media Player - Testers Needed

What are your config files and what is your HA installation type (Hassio on rpi strech, or VMware installed)

im on hassio on and ubuntu vm. and my file structure now looks like this

custom_components
  alexa_media
    __init__.py
    const.py
    media_player.py

i just changed it to alexa_media from just alexa and also changed the config from the old way to the newer.

alexa_media:
accounts:
- email: your amazon email
password: your amazon password
url: amazon.com

You do know its not under media_player: any longer, correct? Its under its own domain, so alexa_media: should have no spaces to the left of it in configuration.yaml. Is that the way you have it now?

yes thats how i ahve it. my spacing didnt copy and paste properly but yes.

im debating on just deleting all of it. and redoing it. but dont wanna go through the captcha and everything again

Did you use the RAW option for each of the three files that you downloaded? Is the old alexa component still in the media_player folder?

yes i remember using the raw editor but will go ahead and try again to eliminate the possiblity. There is no other media_player folder because i tried to adhere to the new file structure

alexa_media/media_player.py
life360/device_tracker.py
etc

Ok good. You might also try removing or renaming the pickle file located here:

/config/alexa_media.pickle

wont that cause me to have to redo the captcha or somesort of authorization?

Yes which I had to do any way when I switched to this new version earlier today. You’ll get a notification in Lovelace to redo the capcha if you delete the pickle file. And only takes a second to enter it in again.

You could leave that as a last resort if you don’t want to do that, but some people have to sometimes to get this to work.

im at the last resort point cause all my config seems correct and im sure between versions i got mismatched.

I cant imagine just deleting it will allow me to check valid and be able to restart

edit: nope it didnt :frowning:

You restarted hassio? You triple checked that you downloaded the raw output on all three files? Looks like a job for @alandtse but he’s probably going to want you to post your config formatted properly using the </> tool.

it wont allow be because of the error

Oh I didn’t realize you couldn’t validate your config. You’re on .88 or higher?

88.1 and yes if i comment out the alexa_media: below then its error free. does it not allow !secrets maybe?

It allows it. Here is my config:

alexa_media:
  accounts:
    - email: !secret amazon_username
      password: !secret amazon_password
      url: amazon.com
1 Like

https://hastebin.com/ducacikusi.makefile

No, you can’t send actual files. See below regarding using Alexa routines to discover other options we can try to expose.

You don’t use routines to play music. routine is for playing routines that are defined in the Alexa App. Routines can be used to discover how the Alexa App is playing music or doing something.

EDIT: Wiki updated.
To play music, you have to define the media_content_type appropriately. Search the forum for other examples and hopefully someone updates the wiki with working examples.

{
  "entity_id": "media_player.guest_room",
  "media_content_id": "cats the musical",
  "media_content_type": "AMAZON_MUSIC"
}
{
  "media_content_id": "7 rings",
  "media_content_type": "APPLE_MUSIC"
}
{
  "media_content_id": "BBC one",
  "media_content_type": "TUNEIN"
}

Did that exact statement work before? If it changes, it may be an Amazon issue. You can try the Routines method to discover how Alexa does it using the Alexa App in my response above.
EDIT: This may actually be a bug we can look into.

In Development and it also says for versions 1.1.0. That’s in the queue and hasn’t been released. I’m currently splitting my time answering forum posts and actually coding, so there’s only so much time for stuff.

Follow the format exactly. Yes, secrets will work. If you’re using optional values, try removing them.

1 Like

I think u have to relogin again,
Since the pickle file also gets change.

1 Like

You’ve gotten an unbelievable amount of work done. Custom updater is low priority for everyone I’m sure. Thanks!

Are your file sizes, similar?