Echo Devices (Alexa) as Media Player - Testers Needed

Not without knowing what you did to update, seeing the config you have right now or at least any error logs you have.

venv on ubuntu 18.04 lts i686, standard update as usual, ill grab a log in a sec, the check config page says " Configuration invalid - Platform not found: media_player.alexa"

logs act as if the component doesnt exist, but the file is definetly there…

log entry is as follows:

Log Details (ERROR)
Mon Mar 04 2019 19:24:37 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time)
Error loading custom_components.media_player.alexa. Make sure all dependencies are installed
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/loader.py", line 147, in _load_file
module = importlib.import_module(path)
File "/usr/lib/python3.6/importlib/__init__.py", line 126, in import_module
return _bootstrap._gcd_import(name[level:], package, level)
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 994, in _gcd_import
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 971, in _find_and_load
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 955, in _find_and_load_unlocked
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 665, in _load_unlocked
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap_external>", line 678, in exec_module
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 219, in _call_with_frames_removed
File 
"/home/homeassistant/.homeassistant/custom_components/media_player/alexa.py", line 15, in <module>
from homeassistant.components.media_player import (
ImportError: cannot import name 'MEDIA_TYPE_MUSIC'

it was working just fine previous to the update to HA, only HA was updated

then you’ll need to go to the github for the component and read up on what you need to do to update the component too. There were breaking changes announced above in the thread.

has anyone figured out how to get the Alexa.Weather.Play to do tomorrow’s forecast?

saying “alexa, weather” and “alexa, tomorrow’s forecast” gives two different reports.

gotcha, thanks, i didnt see where the update was required.

I don’t remember if it was specifically required either but if you updated HA only and it’s no longer working then that would be the next thing I would try.

FAQ

No specific timeline yet. One plan was to get this into HA first, but that requires submitting only one component at a time so notification would probably be after that. Of course, the notification component is actually pretty trivial now that the API exposes it so maybe I can put a few cycles in to get it in.

Just to confirm what others have said, this component/thread has nothing to do with how Alexa processes anything vocally.

To the extent no one responds directly, you can probably figure it out by making an Automation routine and inspecting it. You may see the parameters you need to change or you’d get enough information to submit a feature request.

Is it possible to call certain routines by different phrases.

E.g:

• Alexa, tell me the outside temperature?
  • Alexa, outside temperature
  • Alexa, …
  • Alexa, how much is the fish :wink:

These examples should all trigger the same routine.
Do I have to make a routine for every single command or is it possible to add phrases?

That’s not possible in the Alexa App. You’ll have to make multiple routines.

Will this work with version 0.49.1

Almost 2200 posts! Wow
I have a new install of the official hassio vdi image on a virtual Box hassos machine updated with the newest version of Hassio. Is there an install method proven to work in this situation and if so could someone direct me there. I am sorry to ask but i have been reading for 20 min and cant seem to find any one way that works. Thanks so much for this component and thanks in advance for any help received!

There is a lot of posts here as mentioned above, so I may have missed what I am looking for, but is it possible, when you have multiple Alexas, to have it answer back from the same alexa that the command was picked from? Ex: If I issue a command to turn the coffee maker on, have it answer back with a random phrase that coffee is brewing on the same Alexa, and if there was no other commands on any other devices, send a phrase to the initiating Alexa when coffee is ready.

Have you seen the official wiki? This has the best information. Once there, also check out the different categories from the menu on the right:

Yes, but make sure you’re using the lastest version of this component. Check out the sensor.last_alexa which shows you how to create a template sensor. It worked best for me in scenarios like you described, when I created a routine in the Alexa app which called an HA script.

In the script, the first thing I do is update the last_called attribute for all my Amazon Echoes with the service: alexa_media.update_last_called . I then delay for one second and then update sensor.last_alexa with the homeassistant.update_entity service.

At that time, sensor.last_alexa will contain the correct name of the echo media_player that you triggered the routine with thus enabling you perform a task and then tts back whatever message you want.

Edit: Info on sensor.last_alexa is on the wiki that I linked to on the post right above this one.

Thanks for your reply, I’ll check it out, but afraid it may be a little over my head. Seems like it would do exactly what I am looking to do though. Now that I know what to look for, I may search this thread of the forum for “alexa_media.update_last_called” for some inspiration/examples. Thanks again

Thanks for the fast reply! @PlayedIn.
I did see the wiki , was actually there first but then after reading here for a few minutes i got concerned that maybe methods and or info had changed. So the instructions in the wiki work, for the most part. Great! I will get at it then. I just didn’t want to install everything and then find out something has changed and have to start all over. I have the original version working on my main hassio machine and want to test install new version on fresh machine before upgrading my main machine to 88.2. Thanks again!

Hi everyone,
I am using Hass.io and I want to try to use Echo Devices as Media Player.
I tried to find alexa.py that I can download, but I can’t find it.
Please help me.
Thank you.

1 Like

Thank you for your fast response @Ionebaggie

I’d like to play a “dingdong” sound when the front door opens.

Does someone here have an example for that. Maybe playing a sequence?