Echo Devices (Alexa) as Media Player - Testers Needed

Not sure what your’e asking but you can remove and readd the integration.

Let me see if that helps. I haven’t touched the reconnect logic recently but perhaps Amazon is using that to determine a password reset.

1 Like

Not sure how they came out. I meant “reauthenticate”. I ended up deleting it completely, uninstalling and reinstalling. All fixed

How do I get my Alexa devices to show their correct state in HA? I’ve got several Echo Dots integrated, and they all work great as far as announcements go.

However, some of these Echo Dots are powered off, yet they all always show up in HA in the “Standby” state.
These usually show up correctly as “Unavailable” when I restart HA, but within a few minutes, they eventually revert to a “Standby” state.

Some haven’t even been turned on in weeks, and they do show up correctly as “Unavailable” on the Amazon app, so I’ve no idea what’s causing this.

I’ve checked my domains at https://alexa.amazon.com/api/devices-v2/device, and deleted the PICKLE file to reauthenticate, but nothing seems to work. The inactive devices will always show up in HA as “Unavailable” briefly, before going into “Standby” like all the others.

I was hoping to use their state as a check to play announcements depending on which of my Echo devices are currently on, so any help here would really be appreciated. Thanks!

The state should be controlled by the “online” tag in the devices json or if a websocket message is received from a device. If you’re seeing the online tag as false and it’s not getting updated in the app after 10 minutes or so, then open a bug report with logs.

That said, if your goal is to play messages only on echo devices that are on, it shouldn’t matter if you just send the notification to everything. Anything that is off won’t speak.

The state should be controlled by the “online” tag in the devices json or if a websocket message is received from a device. If you’re seeing the online tag as false and it’s not getting updated in the app after 10 minutes or so, then open a bug report with logs.

Yeah, the powered-off devices show up correctly on both the json ("online:false") and the Alexa app (Unavailable), so it’s only on HA that their state is wrong. Thanks for the response, I’ll file a bug soon.

My use case is that I’ve got 2 Echo Dots - A is always on while B is only turned on occasionally. When B is on, I’d like the announcement to be played on B only (even though A is still active), so this would help.

The Alexa Freetime feature has a “Bedtime” setting that allows you to disable Alexa during a range of hours. Does anyone know if/how this can be set through HA?

Usually when this happens to me (requesting more than once before an echo responds to a request or command) , I have found that it is because one of my other echos are actually answering the request but not performing the actual service or command. The easiest way to test this for me is to check the “last alexa” sensor immediately after the first failed request and it almost always reports the last alexa device to be a different echo device than the one that I spoke to (usually one really close). This may not apply to you at all but maybe it will help. I almost pulled what little hair that I have left out before I happened to be standing between rooms and saw the light ring light up on the other echo. Hope this helps.

EDIT
Sorry , I was trying to reply to a question someone had about having to repeat alexa requests twice , and fat fingered something then posted to the wrong place . hopefully whoever it was will see this,lol

Unsupported as I don’t have freetime and haven’t implemented anything from it. Part of the problem is the API calls required identifying a child ID and I’m not sure how to even get that list.

Twice in the last 2 weeks or so I’ve had to re-authenticate and both times when I’ve gone onto the Amazon website, I’ve had a prompt to change my password.
I’ve got 2FA configured, and I’ve just tried setting up the integration again with the built-in 2FA app to see if that helps.

Strangely, both times that this happened I noticed that two of my Echo Dots had switched to the second account in my Amazon Household and wouldn’t switch back to my account (it would say it had switched and then switch back immediately) until I rebooted, but this is likely to be a symptom of the password reset rather than the cause.

I’ve also considered setting it up using exported cookies, is this less likely to cause issues like this?

Exported cookies just allows you to use a login process in the web browser outside of the component. It wouldn’t impact whatever Amazon is doing to stop unauthorized API use after you’ve logged on. 3.4.1 has some logic suggested by @ReneTode where we disable any API reconnects until the login is recompleted but I don’t think anyone but Amazon knows why Amazon is forcing reconnects or password resets.

1 Like

indeed its far from clear.
i needed to renew my password 3 times in the last few weeks, where i had the same password for 8 years and 2 years another password after that.
the same problem rises when you order products. for 10 years i could just order and it was delivered and no problem.
last year there was a short period where they didnt accept my usual payment method, and the last few weeks half of my orders didnt get trough with my usual payment method, so i needed to do extra steps to get the orders out.

i think that disabling api reconnects can prevent that people need to change their password though.
1 “unauthorised” login (where amazon asks to react to a link, a mail or type in a code send to a phone) doesnt make them renew your password, several of those attempts does, for that im sure.

edit: the same thing by the way also happens with looking at my TV.
in the past i needed to give my password once, now i already needed to go to amazon mytv several times to fill in a code. and a few minutes ago again.

amazon is giving us a hard time lately. :frowning:

Notification and TTS are working great but I seem to have lost the media card updating media etc. It used to show what the echo was playing . Using latest Alex media player update from Hacs and latest home assistant anyone else having problems?
Thanks

Having issues too, So after uninstalling and trying to reinstall I cannot get past the capture page.

Same here ,but i checked and there was an update in hacs . I did update and restarted ha , then had to reauthorize the integration and after that all is good again.

1 Like

had to reconfigure it

that went OK

BUT

I think the english could be beater

FYI from a few weeks ago in this thread…as I had the same comment.
alandtse says: “That’s coming from HA. I have no control on that and I have submitted feedback that it’s misleading”

Hoping this is the right thread to post, I’ve tried to skim these 4,500 posts to see if someone had the same issue but didn’t find an answer, but is anyone else having the issue to reconfigure (authenticate) to their amazon account on a weekly basis? Is there a way to make the authentication permanent? Seems like I never had this issue in the early days of this component.

tons of posts about that, many people have same issue.

Hi there… Cool custom component.

How would I go about grouping all of my Alexa devices together so that I can refer to the group when making announcements or TTS? If I get a new Alexa device, I don’t want have to edit a bunch of scripts to add it. I’d like to add it in one place instead and reference the group somehow.

I’m not even sure I understand the difference between an announcement and TTS. Can someone tell me the difference?

Thank you,

-Alli

Take a loook at the wiki. There are references regarding groups, tts, announce