Echo Devices (Alexa) as Media Player - Testers Needed

Would it be possible to add controlling the light ring on echos? It would be a good way of notifications at a glance.

Hello,

I am new-ish to HA but not new to home automation. I am trying to get this integration working and I’m receiving a 500 internal server error.

I have thoroughly scoured this thread and the forum and I see a lot of different causes for this but no solution (that has worked for me). I’m having the same problem that others have reported, I just can’t seem to find the fix.

• It’s bringing me to the Alexa authentication page, I validate the credentials, and I get the error.
  • I have reconfigured it a least a dozen times (to validate that I’m using the correct settings)
  • I restarted HA a few times (because I saw others reported this fixed their Alexa config)
  • I have validated that the duckdns/routing is correct and matches what’s in my HA config (which is running other authenticators/callbacks).
  • I have initiated this request from inside and outside a browser using the duckdns and I receive the same results.
  • I tried all of this in an incognito tab (because I saw people saying there was a caching issue)
  • I tried all of this in edge (because I saw people were having this issue in chrome)

I know this is something silly that I’m just not getting but after hours of looking, I’ve finally come to ask for help. I saw others saying it could be stuck in a captcha loop?

Here is the config as it’s set and seems appropriate:

It happened to me. What worked for me was to use the companion app on the smartphone with WiFi disabled and using mobile data.

I just got it.
I was missing steps with the 2FA. Added an authenticator app, added the config yaml, restarted, 2FA’d and logged in with devices. Awesome!

Config.yaml is basically deprecated and shouldn’t have any impact. You should remove it as it will override everything in the config entry on restart. This may not be a problem until your password changes and you keep getting an auth error because you forgot to change it in the yaml.

Without debug logging showing what caused the 500 I can’t begin to debug it unfortunately. If you run into it again, please open up an issue with the requested info.

1 Like

Well, I DIDN’T have that in the config yaml until I realized it double ported all my SONOS into HA (where I already have a SONOS integration).

I recall a screen where you could put comma separated devices to block but now that this is set up, I can’t seem to find that in the UI?

Through the UI, I DID disable those SONOS’s that showed up in the Alexa Media App but they still showed (with the disabled symbol). I really wanted to have an accurate device count in there while I’m setting up/testing. So I put the config yaml in there so I could block all my SONOS’s.

Thank you for the constructive feedback on the config yaml. I will remove it and try to find the appropriate way to block the SONOS’s from coming through Alexa.

The config entry has an area for exclude_devices.

I was able to remove the config yaml and readd the integration the correct way with the comma separated excluded devices. One thing to mention, I had the same issues again and I ended up trying multiple times. It appears to be the settings in the config that either I don’t understand or the app doesn’t like. I eventually got it to go through following the EXACT steps I followed yesterday.

• Enter in all the config info including the built in 2FA key.
  • Deselect the two boxes at the bottom
    *Submit
  • It throws an error and tells you what to do (a 2FA box appears)
    *Enter the code then submit again, validate the amazon 2FA, and then everything appears.

Either I don’t know what I’m doing (which is possible) or there’s a step in the amazon 2FA that’s not exactly clear. Regardless, I DID get it to work by playing with the config settings.

This is a great app and I’m glad I have a substitute for echo speaks on HA.

Hi, does anyone have an automation for changing the background of an echo show?

action:
  - service: media_player.play_media
    data:
      media_content_type: image
      media_content_id: https://home-assistant.io/images/cast/splash.png
    target:
      entity_id: media_player.matt_s_echo_show_5_2nd_gen

this doesnt seem to work?

I have the same problem with my Echo Dot (4th Gen), did you find a solution to the “standby” issue?

Also does anyone have a working automation for displaying notifications on their echo show?

I just updated from 2021.10.1 to 2021.11.1, and now this component won’t load and I am unable to delete the integration and start over. Has anyone experienced this behavior and/or how do I fix it? I am running my instance in docker.

Have you also updated HACS too? There was a buggy release recently.

Open hacs, select this integration and Redownload. Restart ha core and you should be good.

Yeah, I think that was it. I rolled it back to the last release and now it seems to be working fine. Thanks!

The latest version of HACS is fine, as is the latest version of AMP. You should be able to upgrade to both.

Hey guys,

If I’ve missed it somewhere apologies.

Can anyone share their Node Red flow for connecting\disconnecting to a Bluetooth device?

I have a dot connected to an amp and want to switch to the speaker when not playing music.

Found it!:

That’s why I was so confused, they don’t show up lol

Selecting bluetooth speakers for Alexa output
While the components source_list only lists input (bluetooth devices that can stream sound to the Alexa device), you can call the select_source service to connect to any previously paired Bluetooth Speaker. Switching it back to “Local Speaker” disconnects it again.

scripts.yaml

alexa_connect_kitchen_speaker:
  sequence:
    - service: media_player.select_source
      data:
        source: "Kitchen Speaker."
      target:
        entity_id: media_player.echo_living_room
alexa_disconnect_kitchen_speaker:
  sequence:
    - service: media_player.select_source
      data:
        source: "Local Speaker."
      target:
        entity_id: media_player.echo_living_room

EDIT 2

Need help with a couple of things.

First of all:

this works;

service: media_player.select_source
target:
  entity_id: media_player.lounge_music
data:
  source: Local Speaker

This does not. How come?

Secondly:

I disconnect and it just reconnects again straight away, Anyone else having that issue?

Edit 3

So apparently its the Logitech BT adaptor auto reconnecting. Sigh.

Back to the drawing board I guess :frowning:

In the data drop down make sure you are changing it from “expression” to “JSON”

Screenshot from 2022-01-11 15-15-20

1 Like

Any chance this could be used to call up the native “picture-in-picture” view used on FireTV for cameras?

Hey guys,

Is anyone stopping alarms in Node Red based on a motion sensor? How?

Thanks

If you have the Fire TV linked to an Echo device in the Alexa app (using Settings > TV & Video > Fire TV) you can do something like this:

service: media_player.play_media
data:
  entity_id: media_player.that_echo_device
  media_content_id: show name of camera in picture in picture
  media_content_type: custom

The only issue I found is that that Echo device will say “OK” when it does it - but enabling Brief Mode on it may stop that.