Echo Devices (Alexa) as Media Player - Testers Needed

Exactly my point. Why is this difference ? “Play” opens one stream, “open” opens some other and only via “voice” command the correct stream is opening. How to know the exact command that is to be used in HA to play the right station? JFK is playing fine.

I found that using play was working best for me so far.
I can’t open Radio Nature neither with open nor by using play via voice. Always get the mentioned stations.
But for whatever reason :roll_eyes: stream works here:

service: media_player.play_media
data:
  media_content_type: custom
  media_content_id: stream "Radio Nature"
target:
  entity_id: media_player.echo_office2

I used stream “Radio Nature”

And for me it started playing “Selena Gomez & The Scene”

Just two ago everything was working fine. Don’t is something has changed at Tunein server or from alexa side. Becuase if I use a voice command everything works fine via Tunein🤔

Well, as said, voice command is not working here either.
Restart HA and empty browsers cache.

Did everything

1. HA restart multiple times.
  2. Empty browser cache.
  3. Reinstalled Alexa integration

For Tune-In, I have found in the past that by looking at the Voice History’s response which shows the string Alexa used to play a particular station, that I could use that string as the media content when using play_media.

You are right… that is how I was doing it… giving the voice command and then looking at the command string. Then using that command string in HA.

But not tunein is all broken with HA. The command string that is generated by voice is no longer working if I use it in HA.

Using home assistant companion on mobile worked for me

Finding some things have stopped working seemingly out of the blue.
My log shows;

2022-10-13 14:42:16.579 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.media_player] Platform alexa_media does not generate unique IDs. ID G090U6109******* already exists - ignoring media_player.bedroom_3

Has anyone seen this or know how to resolve? The devices were all set up a very long time ago but I cannot see a simple way to remove and re-add without loosing all my current automations and scripts? Trying to get TTS working again as it has stopped.

edit: it still shows what is playing and i can use play/pause. Just cannot call anything from HA like TTS or routines

Can you restart HA?

Thanks, done a few restarts. Updated Alexa media Player and HA also.
Seems really odd as thats the only thing logging. Looking at the Debug configuration now to try getting more.

Nothing useful i can see;

2022-10-13 16:33:33.932 DEBUG (MainThread) [custom_components.alexa_media.notify] Message: Test, kwargs: {‘target’: [‘media_player.bedroom_3’], ‘data’: {‘type’: ‘announce’, ‘method’: ‘speak’}}

2022-10-13 16:33:33.933 DEBUG (MainThread) [custom_components.alexa_media.notify] Target type: <class ‘list’>

2022-10-13 16:33:33.933 DEBUG (MainThread) [custom_components.alexa_media.notify] Processing: media_player.bedroom_3

2022-10-13 16:33:33.933 DEBUG (MainThread) [custom_components.alexa_media.notify] Processed Target by string: [‘media_player.bedroom_3’]

Oddly enough some devices with the Duplicate ID error in log are working fine as expected.
2022-10-13 16:30:57.772 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.media_player] Platform alexa_media does not generate unique IDs. ID G0911M1001****** already exists - ignoring media_player.s_echo_dot

2022-10-13 16:36:56.327 DEBUG (MainThread) [custom_components.alexa_media.notify] Message: TEST, kwargs: {'target': ['media_player.s_echo_dot'], 'data': {'type': 'tts'}}
2022-10-13 16:36:56.327 DEBUG (MainThread) [custom_components.alexa_media.notify] Target type: <class 'list'>
2022-10-13 16:36:56.328 DEBUG (MainThread) [custom_components.alexa_media.notify] Processing: media_player.s_echo_dot
2022-10-13 16:36:56.328 DEBUG (MainThread) [custom_components.alexa_media.notify] Processed Target by string: ['media_player.s_echo_dot']
2022-10-13 16:36:56.332 DEBUG (MainThread) [custom_components.alexa_media.notify] TTS by <Entity DOT: standby> : TEST

Removing the integration and readding won’t impact any scripts/automations. Entity_ids are set to your device serial numbers so should be persistent.

1 Like

Is there a way to just remove the devices i am having problems with?

It has been asked before in this enormous thread. But not sure if there is an answer.

If I set the volume via a call service volume_set I get “beep”.

Can I get rid of that?

Sadly: nope.

Bleep bleep…

1 Like

Has anyone updated to v4.2.0 and can explain the release note? I was expecting to no longer need to add type: tts but I may be wrong.

I was looking in this (massive) thread but couldn’t find an answer. Is there any way that I can play a Plex playlist with this integration? Normally this wouldn’t be an issue AFAIK, but I’m in the Netherlands. The Plex Alexa skill is unavailable in my region:

Or is there some other way that I can play music on my Echo Dot that I’m missing?

obviously you cant do more with the media player then with the alexa itself.
so if you cant play a plex playlist directly with a voice command, then you cant do it with an automation.