Echo Devices (Alexa) as Media Player - Testers Needed

@fakezeta It looks to be congruent with my behavior: I tested a sentence without any meaning for Alexa and she answered consequently.
So it looks that the message in payload is as it was spoken to Alexa and not a simple text string to be read by hers tts capability.

try saying things that should trigger her to do something.

like play music, how is the weather today?
or a text that you did put in a routine.

if that works you guys got it even better then we do.

is there some form of “simon says” function available in italian? can you make her repeat you, when you speak to her in any way?

Yes, it’s working like this.

seems to exist:

but the the answer is “I cannot understand”.
For the italians out there s***********o was “sto cazzo”

This evening I can do other tests.

Just a question maybe off-topic: Is it possible to integrate the zigbee hub of echo plus inside HA? And if yes, how?

if you can send commands then you can create a routine that let her speak.
thats even better because then you can let her do everything.

and it seems that te reason that the TTS from here isnt working is because the simon says function is broken in your language.

I confirm that it works asking the time or the weather forecast but it looks it hasn’t yet the “Simon says” function.

Hm, so I wonder if all Gen 3s accept other commands now.

Tried testing the service as you specified, but it’s showing as an invalid json, any ideas?

The " is wrong

{
"entity_id": "media_player.bedroom_echo",
"message": "testing"
}

Thanks, that works.

Hi Coolie, Try This

script.yaml

shut_up:
  alias: "Shut Up"
  sequence:
    - service: media_player.alexa_tts
      data_template:
        entity_id: "media_player.livingroom" ####Put your device in this area media_player.your_device####
        message: "Shut The Fuuck! UP, ... I do not want to hear, your big, arse, MOUTH!, anymore! ... you little! arse hole"

see if this works for you! Let me know! Good Luck

Hmm…that’s strange. I’ve never had any issues with “fancy” quotation marks before. I’m not sure how that happened.

Thanks for catching that, tho.

I do wish we could get this here! If I could send a command to start a Alexa Skill, I could start my car from a automation and do all kinds of fun things!

Does anybody know if it will ever be possible to envoke a Skill from the UI?

im sure that starting skills will be added to routines at some point.
but i think that what they have (sending commands in text to alexa) is new, only not everywhere available yet.
it could be a bug, but i dont think so somehow.

I followed the instructions to enable my echo device and put the custom component alexa.py inside /configdir/custom_components/media_player and added this into configuration.yaml:

media_player
  - platform: alexa
    email: “!secret amazon_email”
    password: “!secret amazon_password”
    url: “amazon.it”

but after reboot i do not see any component related to alexa into my HA.
Where am i wrong? Maybe i must put amazon.com instead amazon.it as url?

that depends on what server you did setup your amazon devices.
if you logon to alexa.amazon.it and find your devices there and you can change your devicesettings there, then use it
if you logon to alexa.amazon.com and find your devices there and you can change your devicesettings there, then use com

I use alexa.amazon.it and find there my devices…
So it’s not the problem…

Do not use brackets (")

It would be awesome if it ever happens! opens up so many possibilities!

Do you mean this will work?

- platform: alexa
    email: !secret amazon_email
    password: !secret amazon_password
    url: amazon.it