Echo Devices (Alexa) as Media Player - Testers Needed

Speaking of Plex, when playing music through the Plex skill the Alexa card says “Standby” and none of the controls work

Other than that great component :slight_smile:

thanks for this… I got it working easily by using single quotes in the config.

How do I get it to list favourite radio stations etc, so they appear in a drop down? or isn’t that possible?

Cheers
Mark

Now the Apple Music is live, is it possible to add that?

HI, I cannot install addon.
This is error message:
** ERROR (SyncWorker_10) [hassio.docker.interface] Can’t install keatontaylor/aarch64-addon-alexa-api:0.5 -> 404 Client Error: Not Found (“pull access denied for keatontaylor/aarch64-addon-alexa-api, repository does not exist or may require ‘docker login’”).**

My configuration is Hassio.io 0.84.2 on Raspberry Pi

THANK YOU I was driving myself crazy trying to figure out why I coudn’t get radio stations to work…

“N P R” not “NPR”

1 Like

I’ll take a look. I’ll also look into the plex skill and see what I can figure out. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you… I got it to work. This is something that have been on my list of things to do for a while.

1 Like

Does anyone know how to play some silence using Spotify instead of Amazon Music? (In order to be able to change the volume)

I found a silent track on Spotify called ‘5 Seconds of Silence’ by the artist ‘November 5’.

I tried the same code as that from @b3voholic using the song name (5 Seconds of Silence)

- service: media_player.play_media
  data:
    entity_id: media_player.echo_dot
    media_content_id: '5 Seconds of Silence'
    media_content_type: SPOTIFY
- delay: '00:00:03'
- service: media_player.volume_set
  data:
    entity_id: media_player.echo_dot
    volume_level: 0.8

That wouldn't work, so I tried song name and artist (5 Seconds of Silence by November 5), Spotify URL to the track (spotify:track:2arG6nSmXmh7joBYxxqEdU), and even created a playlist with just that song, and tried adding the name of the playlist, but none would work for me :neutral_face:

I’ve just managed to get this running on Hassio, thanks so much for all the work and I know I’m a bit late to the game.

It logs in (amazon.co.uk) and I can see all my Echo devices. I can also see what music they’re playing when I play music by asking the Echo.

However, when I try any of the controls in Home Assistant nothing happens. I get the message that the play/pause script has been called but it has no effect on the Echo. I’m sorry if I’m doing something really obvious wrong, but does anyone have a suggestion?

i needed to change al my accounts to usa for it to work, before that i got what you are having

Thanks, unfortunately I tried amazon.com in the config file before co.uk and it worked - all the Echo devices showed up but then they all showed as unavailable. Using amazon.co.uk gets them to show as available and properly show any music playing, but clicking on the controls does nothing.

Is there any debugging that can be done/logs to see if something is failing?

tja i needed to set my amazon account to usa and make every echo device be set to usa for this to work.
it did not work to only change the config file.

Great, thanks for the info, I might try that but hopefully some fix will be developed to allow it to work with devices not set to the US.

Has anyone got this working with a UK account and devices set to UK?

Yes, I’m in the UK with UK devices. Here’s my config:

media_player:
  - platform: alexa
    email: !secret alexa_email
    password: !secret alexa_password
    url: amazon.co.uk

In secrets.yaml my email and password don't have any quotes around them.

how did you get the sensor info into the alexa “message”?
in other words how do you get alexa to check status of the front door sensor and report / say “open”
I have been trying to figure out how to do this and you are the first person i have found that is doing it .Please share!

Here is an example of a script I use. If I ask Alexa, “Is the garage door open?”, the script below is executed and replies back to my Echo_Plus with one of 4 possible answers:

garage_door_status:
  alias: 'Garage Door Status Spoken'
  sequence:
    service: media_player.alexa_tts
    entity_id: media_player.echo_plus
    data_template:
        {% if states.binary_sensor['0x00158d000243672e'].state == 'on' and states.binary_sensor['0x00158d000232c071'].state == 'on' %}
          Both garage doors are open
        {% elif states.binary_sensor['0x00158d000243672e'].state == 'on' %}
          The left garage door is open
        {% elif states.binary_sensor['0x00158d000232c071'].state == 'on' %}
          The right garage door is open
        {% else %}
          both doors are closed
        {% endif %}

I have since modified it so that I can ask any of my 5 Amazon Echos questions such as this and the message is sent to the same Echo where it was asked. However I’m now using Node Red instead of yaml like the above because its so much easier IMO.

Thanks so much!! wow you really no what you are doin! I use node red as well just getting started though, would you mind sharing your flows?

Not really, just received a lot of help in these forums.

You might should start a new thread if you have questions about this so we don’t clutter up this one by going off topic? The Node Red export of this sequence is very long. I’m afraid I shouldn’t put it in this thread.

ok , i think i can figure it out from here , thanks so much for your help.
i admittedly dont no that much about forum rules and etiquette so please forgive my mistakes thanks again for your help!! if i cant figure it out i will ask for help in a new topic.
if you ever need mechanical help please don’t hesitate to call at 4052079848 and ask for mike,[be sure to mention home assistant or node red,i get a lot of telemarketers asking for the owner] so i can repay the favor.

1 Like

The Node Red export of this sequence is very long. I’m afraid I shouldn’t put it in this thread.

Could you perhaps upload it in a text file to google drive or similar? I’m a newbie figuring this out so having a flow to dissect would make it easier. If not thats okay :slight_smile: thank you.