Echo Devices (Alexa) as Media Player - Testers Needed

you can not send tts through the mediaplayer entity. you need to use sevices.

1 Like

ahh I see ok, that works, thanks very much!

Thanks for the report. There’s a fix currently staged. This is likely to be the last fix in the 0.X.X branch as HA wants us to change the file structure format so it probably makes sense to do the breaking change anyway for 1.0.0.

@peteee, I’ll be fixing the 1.0.0 branch next. Will post once it’s done. EDIT: Staged for merge into dev.

1 Like

very good work…

@alandtse Thanks for the update. Look forward to the fix.

Hi,

Just installed this component, and installed first time without issue! - love the idea of being able to control the echo’s from Home Assistant - however, although I have got a lovelace card which is showing my tunein radio station playing - and is updating the current song playing etc etc - I am unable to control the echo - no volume control or start/pause - I can see in home assistant when I press the pause/play button it is calling ‘media_play_pause’ - however nothing is happening on the echo. Same when calling ‘volume_set’

Any ideas?

Thanks

@alandtse

Thank you!!!

Great stuff here!!

1 Like

Can you tell us which lovelace card are u using with tunein radio stations?

Just using this one:
entity: media_player.echo_dot
title: Kitchen Echo
type: media-control

There is a limitation to render tts payloads on echo dot groups, is that a limitation of the api or of the component itself? would be great, when i could send payloads to groups too.

thats a limitation from the amazon side.
allthough they have added a broadcast function, so it should be possible nowadays.
but you can create a HA group to send TTS to,

Hi,

A few weeks ago I installed the custom_component alexa.py, and in home assistant I detected two players.
I disabled the component until I had time to look at it, but now when I turn it on again it gives me an error. The only difference is that I now have an SSL certificate.

This is the error:
Tue Feb 19 2019 09:52:50 GMT+0100 (hora estándar de Europa central)
Error while setting up platform alexa
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/helpers/entity_platform.py”, line 128, in _async_setup_platform
SLOW_SETUP_MAX_WAIT, loop=hass.loop)
File “/usr/lib/python3.6/asyncio/tasks.py”, line 358, in wait_for
return fut.result()
File “/usr/lib/python3.6/concurrent/futures/thread.py”, line 56, in run
result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
File “/home/homeassistant/.homeassistant/custom_components/media_player/alexa.py”, line 147, in setup_platform
config.get(CONF_DEBUG))
File “/home/homeassistant/.homeassistant/custom_components/media_player/alexa.py”, line 650, in init
self.login_with_cookie()
File “/home/homeassistant/.homeassistant/custom_components/media_player/alexa.py”, line 673, in login_with_cookie
self.login(cookies=cookies)
File “/home/homeassistant/.homeassistant/custom_components/media_player/alexa.py”, line 807, in login
self._data = self.get_inputs(soup)
File “/home/homeassistant/.homeassistant/custom_components/media_player/alexa.py”, line 686, in get_inputs
for field in form.find_all(‘input’):
AttributeError: ‘NoneType’ object has no attribute ‘find_all’

I have read that it may be a problem with the html, but before it worked.
What can be?

Regards

one last question @Corey_Maxim if that’s ok, I copied your code for the greeting albeit I used binary sensors from a Bayesian device tracker to determine whether home was on or off and it seems to detect everything ok but I don’t understand how or where it determines PERSON from.

Can you explain where it pulls PERSON from so I can figure out where to do it in my code.

Thanks

From the binary sensor name

Delete the alexa_media.pickle file from your config directory. Amazon may also be asking you to reset your password.

1 Like

i has already used echo dot as media player, it can tts, play spotify, but in log always occur “Update of media_player.leo_s_echo_dot is taking over 10 seconds”
are any solution to solve this issue?
thanks for reading

Thanks
I had tried to delete the file alexa.cpython-36.pyc
Now, it’s working fine :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:
Regards

Version 1.0.0 when we release it. Until then, no.

This is broken in 88?

2019-02-20 13:13:14 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.loader] Error loading custom_components.media_player.alexa. Make sure all dependencies are installed
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/python-venvs/hass-prod/lib/python3.5/site-packages/homeassistant/loader.py", line 147, in _load_file
    module = importlib.import_module(path)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/importlib/__init__.py", line 126, in import_module
    return _bootstrap._gcd_import(name[level:], package, level)
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 986, in _gcd_import
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 969, in _find_and_load
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 958, in _find_and_load_unlocked
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 673, in _load_unlocked
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap_external>", line 673, in exec_module
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 222, in _call_with_frames_removed
  File "/opt/hass-prod-cfg/custom_components/media_player/alexa.py", line 16, in <module>
    from homeassistant.components.media_player import (
ImportError: cannot import name 'MEDIA_TYPE_MUSIC'

Please update to v 0.10.2.

6 Likes