Echo Devices (Alexa) as Media Player - Testers Needed

So now it’s also possible to change the volume when its in idle/standby mode?

Nevermind, just tried it, It works, very nice, this way we can get rid of the silence song title.

I can control the volume iusing the services in the dev tools tabs. But is it also possible to see the volume bar in the mediaplayer card, even when its in standby?

can someone point out how to use this?
Edit: see Home · alandtse/alexa_media_player Wiki · GitHub

will it be possible to have services without mediaplayers?
so can i only activate TTS service or is the mediaplayer needed?

edit: good work by the way!

@andrew.vint , i’ve moved to the new 1.0.0 version and its all working fine, the TTS is working too. i’ve followed the instructions

and it all is working fine. I also removed everything and re-did and it still worked fine.

@alandtse. great effort, thanks for your work :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok, so sequence works for me, but I don’t get routines working.

I have a routine called “test” and I tried it this way

{
“entity_id”: “media_player.myalexadevice”,
“media_content_id”: “test”,
“media_content_type”: “routine”
}

but it doesn’t work.

When I say “alexa, test” it works.

hi guys in the instructions it says add it to the config but i have mine broke out can i add it ot the media_player.yaml file and if so is it set out the same as the instructions say?

You need to to this:

This has to be added to the main config.yaml, remove the old entries on the media_player.yaml.

alexa_media:
  accounts:
    - email: !secret alexa_email
      password: !secret alexa_password
      url: amazon.in
      scan_interval: 30
1 Like

I assume, it’s not yet possible to invoke skills with this component?

Great project you got here! Thanks for all you do!

Was someone here yet able to fire a routine with this?

As I mentioned above mine doesn’t work and I’m wondering if it’s maybe region specific.

in option we have to type Sms, email or 1 ,2 ? because I tried both and no email confirmation recieved

I run HA 0.88.1 and I moved to 1.0.0.

While previous version worked fine now I found this error:

2019-02-23 21:24:51 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Error during setup of component alexa_media
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/homeassistant/setup.py", line 154, in _async_setup_component
    component.setup, hass, processed_config)  # type: ignore
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 57, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/config/custom_components/alexa_media/__init__.py", line 63, in setup
    from alexapy import AlexaLogin
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'alexapy'

What am I missing?

Thank You

See post above from @Prathik_Gopal

You have to change your config too

What to you mean? Wrong topic?

Capture

Of course I did it.
I read the instruction here:
https://github.com/keatontaylor/custom_components/wiki/Configuration

Try to reboot the system. not just HA. I had the same error. rebooting the system worked for me.

Hello, have 1.0.0 up and running but am getting this error (88.0, 88.1 docker not available yet i guess)

(MySQLdb._exceptions.DataError) (1406, "Data too long for column 'event_type' at row 1") [SQL: 'INSERT INTO events (event_type, event_data, origin, time_fired, created, context_id, context_user_id) VALUES (%s, %s, %s, %s, %s, %s, %s)'] [parameters: ('[email protected]', '{"last_called_change": {"serialNumber": "XXXXXXXXXXXXXX", "timestamp": 1550959078969}}', 'LOCAL', datetime.datetime(2019, 2, 23, 22, 0, 41, 643060, tzinfo=<UTC>), datetime.datetime(2019, 2, 23, 22, 2, 55, 616610), 'db7b343eed43rderd912fc485b5355ec9', None)] (Background on this error at: http://sqlalche.me/e/9h9h)

Any thoughts?

Edit: think it has stopped mysql from recording as well.
Edit 2: “event_type” column is only 32 the value trying to be input is 36

I have my configi file setup like this. However I am getting an error. Any suggestion, error is posted below.

# Media Players
  - platform: snapcast
    host: 192.168.2.122
  - platform: mpd
    host: 192.168.2.122
    alexa_media:
      accounts:
        - email: [email protected]
          password: mypassowrd
          url: amazon.com

Your configuration contains extra keys that the platform does not support.
Please remove [alexa_media]. (See /config/media_player.yaml, line 3).

I resolved the issue! I missed the fact that this is not a media player component and needs to in the main config.yaml

Not sure where i’ve gone wrong. Added the new alexa_media component but hassio doesn’t like it.

Configuration invalidCHECK CONFIG
Component not found: alexa_media

This is my config:

alexa_media:
  accounts:
    - email: #########@gmail.com
      password: ########
      url: amazon.ca
      include_devices:
        - "Echo Dot"

I think that’s a Media Player UI issue. I can take a look but at this point we’re not doing anything on the UI side. EDIT: I looked, and while we are returning volume data the UI is hiding it because we’re not in a play or pause state. I will be fixing some other display issues but short of always keeping the devices in a PAUSE state instead of STANDBY/IDLE, there’s not really much we can do on the backend.

Yes, exclude everything or on linclude something that doesn’t exist. We still have the autodiscovery poll that is done via scanning interval. Change it to a really high number if you want to reduce that poll.

No; still waiting for someone to identify a working script that can. We can do anything an Alexa routine can do though.

I’ll do some additional debugging at some point after I triage any breaking issues. I believe I tested it once after replicating the call from the shell scripts, but I don’t use it day-to-day so may have missed something. Please open up an issue and get us some scrubbed logs.
EDIT: Issue and fix available.

It should be lowercase “sms” or “email”. I may need advanced debugging if it still doesn’t work. Please check the wiki for info.

For some reason it’s unable to install the dependency when you start HA. You’ll manually need to do a pip install alexapy in the appropriate python environment.

First, you may want to scrub the data in your post because it looks like it has your email address. My guess is since we’re concatenating your email to the domain alexa_media somewhere, that we’ve hit a HA SQL table limitation during logging. Please file an issue including any errors from alexa_media.
EDIT: I filed the issue and have a fix for you to test.

It can’t find the files under custom_components\alexa_media. Please make sure the files are correctly copied into the directory.