Echo Dot with Emulated Hue (Fall 2017)

I may try starting from scratch after switching to HASS.io. This would help determine if it was a config issue or environmental. Will check back once that’s done. Thanks.

I had everything working fine with both Echo Dot and the Google home, but with only the configuration of
emulated_hue:
listen_port: 80

Then when I changed it to this:
listen_port: 80
expose_by_default: true
exposed_domains:
- switch

nothing worked… I tried to put it back to the original settings and it still hasnt worked… I am not an expert but I think it has something to do with the expose_by_default settings which change the way HA communicates with the emulated Hue, and it doesnt reconfigure it even after settings have changed.

The default is true so you shouldn’t be affecting anything by adding or indeed removing it.

Finally got it working okay after a switch to HASS and replacement WiFi.

With this or the new Google Asisstant API, is there a way to only expose select and specific IDs?

I have Wink connected to HA and don’t want to expose every single ‘switch’ as I only want to expose my switches from HA that are Wake On Lan and not the light switches being brought over from Wink as otherwise they get duplicated and Alexa / Google Home doesn’t know which device I want.

I was reading over some forums but couldn’t find what I was looking for. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last night I replaced my two Gen 1 Echos and one Gen 2 Echo Dot with three Gen 2 Echos and started experiencing a similar issue.

In the logs, I noticed:

• HA sends a Gen 1 Echo the description.xml twice.
  • HA sends a Gen 2 Echo the description.xml six times.

Switching between devices, I found:

• Gen 1 Echos find all of my devices exposed through emulated hue.
  • Gen 2 Echos find none of my devices exposed through emulated hue.
  • Gen 2 Echos cannot control devices found by a Gen 1 Echo, or Gen 2 Echo Dot. In the Alexa app the device says the server is unavailable.

Anyone else experience this while working with the new Gen 2 Echos?

I gave up trying to get emulated_hue to work again. There is native support coming soon. Hopefully in the next release.

So I have a Gen 2 Dot (Was there ever a Gen 1?) and Gen 2 Echo. The Echo doesn’t find any devices, but the Dot does. After the dot added them to the alexa universe I can control the via the the Gen 2 Echo too!

I hope this will continue to work, because I don’t want to expose my hass. io to the internet.