EcoPlug integration

Well, it looks like I was having multiple issues simultaneously. But when I restored a backup of Home Assistant from April, and got everything working well (mainly Node-Red with its update), then applied Hoppersusa’s genius fix, I was able to get my Eco Plugs running with:

|Version|core-2022.6.4|
|---|---|
|Installation Type|Home Assistant Supervised|.

It appears that if you don’t have his fix applied, HA will not boot due to:

switch:
  - platform: ecoplug
    scan_interval: 10 #(Or whatever)

in the configuration.yaml file. If you remove or block that, it will boot, but with the Eco Plugs being unavailable.

That is my experience at least.

Thank you all for your help!

I use this version and I haven’t had any issues. I’m on 2022.6.3

EDIT: I do seem to recall doing this hack awhile back, perhaps it’s still in place:

Currently switch.py has:

from homeassistant.const import (DEVICE_DEFAULT_NAME, ATTR_HIDDEN, EVENT_TIME_CHANGED, EVENT_HOMEASSISTANT_STOP)

change to:

from homeassistant.const import (DEVICE_DEFAULT_NAME, ATTR_HIDDEN, EVENT_HOMEASSISTANT_STOP)
1 Like

@Scope666 I went ahead and updated your change in github.

Someone needs to take over ownership, care and feeding of pyecoplug! That was my fork just to get it working for my instance…it is unsupported and not guaranteed to exist in the future.

1 Like

Not my change, Hoppersusa posted it above.

Are there fresh instructions on how to get this working, i copied the files over to the custom folder and made the update to the import statement but the devices are not showing up in the devices list?

nevermind: i ended up using homebridge, they have a package for the eco plug. using that integration with home assistant.

I have 2 smart switch device, one for the pump, another for the heat.
The first one is recognized and I control it in HA, the second one is not. Any ideas where to look at ?

Hello, did you make it work like this ? I can’t control one of my switch with the custom component and I am looking for a solution.

Hey, did you make it works in the end ?

Is anyone successfully using Eco Plug at this time.

I installed the HACS integration from https://github.com/rsnodgrass/pyecoplug and followed the installation instructions to add the following code to configuration.yaml

switch:
     scan_interval: 10

I am not seeing any devices show up on my Integrations page.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

My eco plugs have been working flawlessly since we had to make this change earlier last year.

1 Like

I’ve been trying to get this to work on and off since August and I can’t get the configuration.yaml edit to be happy enough to let me restart home assistant. When I copy and paste that into the config.yaml I get an error on restart until I remove it.

Config.yaml and the file structure:

I haven’t been able to figure this out and could use some help. Been trying on and off for a few months but can’t get it going.

When I add these lines in my configuration.yaml, I can’t even restart the Home Assistant. After adding the files (unaltered by myself, just uploaded into the folder) in the custom_components folder and adding the lines in the config.yaml, I get the following error:

Could only add one photo
I also have the HACS repo added, but appears empty. I believe it’s the right one?

You are using the wrong HACS. Please remove and use this repository: EcoPlug

1 Like

Ok thanks. I’ve done that and it restarts without the error. No entities or devices show up for ecoplugs though.

I’m trying to control this device on my network. It uses the ECO Plugs app on my phone for control. I’m trying to get it controlled in Apple Homekit.

Is this device supposed to work with this integration?

I have that exact same pool pump timer, and the integration works for me. My pool is closed for the winter so it’s currently disabled.

This is what HACS is pointed at: GitHub - rsnodgrass/pyecoplug: Python library interface to EcoPlug wifi outlet

Beginning part of switch.py for comparison:

Did you do anything with UDP 8900 inbound? I just installed this and am similarly having no luck seeing the switch.

Steps I’ve done:

switch:
    scan_interval: 10
  • Restarted the server (several times).

do I have the config stuff right? The files all look like they’re in the correct places, but still no plug! Hopefully time may fix it if it just hasn’t done a heartbeat, but lmk what’s up. Thanks!

I wish my pool wasn’t closed, I’d be able to help more with it up and running. The one obvious thing to check is that the device is working in the Official Eco Plugs app. Usually once I enable it, and uncomment the lines, it just shows up in HA.

EDIT: I do remember that there’s a cloud icon in the Eco Plugs app, you could try it with it off and on, see if there’s any difference. I think I usually have that on.

Thanks for the reply. It works great with the eco app. both with “cloud” and “no cloud” next to the plug. Some screenshots of anything you can find pyecoplug related would help. For instance, I don’t get the pycache folder generated in my ecoplug folder. Seems like the script may not even be running?

A few questions:

1. Do you have home assistant cloud?
  2. Do you have a directory called pyecoplugs in the same directory as your config.yaml? (trying to see if there’s a dependency missing)
  3. can you post screenshots of anything ‘pyecoplugs’ related on your install? Including the top level dir where there might be some other dependencies? (for example, my init file is empty…

Can you see anything wrong with this image? I’m afraid I may have messed up indentation somewhere?

1. I do now, but this integration worked for the last few years without it.
  2. Not seeing it, will show screenshot below.
  3. Your indentation looks correct to me. It’s like mine except I have those 2 lines commented out for the Winter. I have to keep the breaker off for the pool pump / switch because if it turned on with it winterized it would be BAD.