ECOWITT Weatherstation integration for Home Assistant

PS there is a known issue with this integration and 0.115 so if you upgrade you wont be able to get it set up right now.

1 Like

It’s working for me at the moment on 114. Thanks for the heads up.
The one thing not working is weather underground for some reason

Hmmm, mine is still working just have my station id and key that i got when i registered at WU. These are the ones visbile when you login to your account and look at devices.

Do you remember how you set it up in home assistant? I cannot get my pws entity to work properly somehow

Is this still an issue with 0.116? I just got the ecowitt gw1000 and was looking to get it setup.

The other thing that concerns me is that if the ecowitt is offline (for whatever reason) when HA restarts, it will crash the HA boot up process? That kind of stopped me cold in my tracks…

It hasn’t been fixed in HACS, but I made a fix and a PR, but the owner of the repo hasn’t approved it yet.
You can grab the updated code from here:

I haven’t tried the reboot as you are asking, but I believe that is only the case at the first start-up of the integration.

Good to know that is a big difference. I can baby sit it the first time, but I didnt want to have my entire HA break because my ecowitt was unplugged in a couple of months and go nuts trying to figure out what is wrong!! :slight_smile:

Is there any way to get the current AQI and AQI 24hr average from a gw1000?

As I told, I haven’t really tried a reboot as you asked. But recently I had to turn off the power in the house and the weather station’s console was unable to reconnect to the WiFi. When I checked HA, it has turned on and working, but all the weather station entities were “unavailable”.

Has anyone tried ecowitt2mqtt? https://github.com/bachya/ecowitt2mqtt

Since this project seems abandoned by the original dev at the moment, perhaps its a better option? it seems under active development and natively supports home assistant.

I’m using it now and so far its great, highly recommended.

Does anyone know the definition of wind_gust? It seems to be the highest wind value in the last n minutes. But I’m not sure the value of n. Seems to be about 10 minutes. Does anyone know?

Specifically this sensor: https://github.com/garbled1/homeassistant_ecowitt/blob/72434003e7f82eae869b170f1e9e49607b2bf1c9/custom_components/ecowitt/init.py#L276

By definition (from Wikipedia):

A gust or wind gust is a brief increase in the speed of the wind, usually less than 20 seconds.

Otherwise look here:

I didn’t ask my question very well. I didn’t mean to ask the definition of a gust, what I really meant was how long does the value of the gust last within the HA sensor. The WS68 sensor might give the largest wind value (gust) since the last 16 second update but home assistant seems to hold onto the largest value for about 120 seconds.

The path of the data:

WS68 --> GW1002 --> ecowitt community integration --> HA sensor wind_gust sensor

Somewhere along the way the wind_gust in HA seems to be the largest wind value reported by the sensor in the last 2 minutes (this is me guessing based on historical sensor data from this sensor).

It depends how you set your Ecowitt reporting interval. HA just displays the gust value from the unit what was sent. (It might be 120 seconds what you set on your unit.)

I bought Froggit WH4000SE weather station (European label for Ecowitt), installed Ecowitt plugin via HACS and added Ecowitt integration as well. I got lots of sensors that started to work right away. I have chosen metric instead of imperial, so some of the sensors changed soon to “unavailable” (for example wind speed miles per hour, while kilometers per hour was still available), so I just removed those.

BUT my question is, I would like to have wind speed in meters per second instead of kilometers per hour. I know I chose that option from my weather station settings, and the indoors control panel shows it right, but is it the integration itself that is missing meters per second for wind (or, lux value for light)? Or is there some way I can just convert those sensor values on the fly?

All right, I just solved this by creating another sensor that I will be using instead of Ecowitt’s one (sensor.wind_speed_2). That will do the calculation:

wind_speed:
      unit_of_measurement: m/s
      friendly_name: "Speed of wind"
      icon_template: mdi:weather-windy
      value_template: >
        {{ (states('sensor.wind_speed_2')|float * 0.277777778)|round(1) }}

So, then I’ll just display wind_speed sensor in UI and now I have wind speed in meters per second instead of kilometers per hour :slight_smile:

1 Like

I bought a GW1000 Gateway and managed to get it set up (figuring out their app was much trickier than it should have been). I did NOT buy any extra sensors (yet). The GW1000 comes with a pre-wired temp/humidity/pressure sensor. I’m able to see data from this on the WS View app on my phone.

I followed the setup instructions for the Ecowitt Weatherstation integration and everything went smoothly. However, the integration didn’t set up any devices and thus I’m not seeing any data. I’m wondering if this is because I don’t have any other sensors besides the built-in ones, or if there is something wrong.

Any ideas?

EDIT: I forgot to mention, there are no errors in the logs

When you loaded the integration how did you load it?
Did you load HACS and then load it from there?
Did you restart HA after you loaded HACS & Ecowitt?
If you did and followed the instructions you should see this in your integrations list
Note there is only 1 device and 44 entities.

Hi, @rontaylor, thanks for the quick reply.

I downloaded from HACS and loaded it from there. I did several restarts afterwards. Here’s what I see:

Screen Shot 01-09-21 at 08.28 PM

Perhaps I need to uninstall and reinstall…