Editing zwcfg to enable dim transition

My system uses GE (Jasco) zwave dimmers that have different model numbers, some of them allow for long dim-transitions and others do not. After researching it appears that the key difference lies in the dimming duration value under COMMAND_CLASS_SWITCH_MULTILEVEL. I’m hoping to ‘unlock’ this functionality by editing the zwcfg_xxxx.xml file.

I’m writing this post to:

1. Verify that you can enable this functionality through altering the zwcfg file
  2. Verify that my edits are correct
  3. Verify that the order of operations will achieve desired result

I have read through this previous post and am using it for reference (link)

#1)
Zwcfg snip of device with long-dimming

<Node id="12" name="" location="" basic="4" generic="17" specific="1" roletype="5" devicetype="1536" nodetype="0" type="Multilevel Power Switch" listening="true" frequentListening="false" beaming="true" routing="true" max_baud_rate="40000" version="4" query_stage="Complete">
		<Manufacturer id="63" name="Jasco Products">
			<Product type="4944" id="3038" name="14294 In-Wall Smart Dimmer" />
		</Manufacturer>
		<CommandClasses>
			<CommandClass id="32" name="COMMAND_CLASS_BASIC" version="1" request_flags="4" mapping="38">
				<Instance index="1" />
			</CommandClass>
			<CommandClass id="38" name="COMMAND_CLASS_SWITCH_MULTILEVEL" version="2" innif="true">
				<Instance index="1" />
				<Value type="byte" genre="user" instance="1" index="0" label="Level" units="" read_only="false" write_only="false" verify_changes="false" poll_intensity="0" min="0" max="255" value="0" />
				<Value type="button" genre="user" instance="1" index="1" label="Bright" units="" read_only="false" write_only="true" verify_changes="false" poll_intensity="0" min="0" max="0" />
				<Value type="button" genre="user" instance="1" index="2" label="Dim" units="" read_only="false" write_only="true" verify_changes="false" poll_intensity="0" min="0" max="0" />
				<Value type="bool" genre="system" instance="1" index="3" label="Ignore Start Level" units="" read_only="false" write_only="false" verify_changes="false" poll_intensity="0" min="0" max="0" value="True" />
				<Value type="byte" genre="system" instance="1" index="4" label="Start Level" units="" read_only="false" write_only="false" verify_changes="false" poll_intensity="0" min="0" max="255" value="0" />
#Adding comment for post clarity - see line below
				<Value type="byte" genre="system" instance="1" index="5" label="Dimming Duration" units="" read_only="false" write_only="false" verify_changes="false" poll_intensity="0" min="0" max="255" value="255" />
			</CommandClass>

Zwcfg snip of device without long-dimming

<Node id="9" name="" location="" basic="4" generic="17" specific="1" type="Multilevel Power Switch" listening="true" frequentListening="false" beaming="true" routing="true" max_baud_rate="40000" version="4" query_stage="Complete">
		<Manufacturer id="63" name="Jasco Products">
			<Product type="4944" id="3031" name="12724 3-Way Dimmer Switch" />
		</Manufacturer>
		<CommandClasses>
			<CommandClass id="32" name="COMMAND_CLASS_BASIC" version="1" request_flags="4" mapping="38">
				<Instance index="1" />
			</CommandClass>
			<CommandClass id="38" name="COMMAND_CLASS_SWITCH_MULTILEVEL" version="1" innif="true">
				<Instance index="1" />
				<Value type="byte" genre="user" instance="1" index="0" label="Level" units="" read_only="false" write_only="false" verify_changes="false" poll_intensity="0" min="0" max="255" value="99" />
				<Value type="button" genre="user" instance="1" index="1" label="Bright" units="" read_only="false" write_only="true" verify_changes="false" poll_intensity="0" min="0" max="0" />
				<Value type="button" genre="user" instance="1" index="2" label="Dim" units="" read_only="false" write_only="true" verify_changes="false" poll_intensity="0" min="0" max="0" />
				<Value type="bool" genre="system" instance="1" index="3" label="Ignore Start Level" units="" read_only="false" write_only="false" verify_changes="false" poll_intensity="0" min="0" max="0" value="True" />
				<Value type="byte" genre="system" instance="1" index="4" label="Start Level" units="" read_only="false" write_only="false" verify_changes="false" poll_intensity="0" min="0" max="255" value="0" />
# Missing line for "Dimming Duration"
			</CommandClass>

The second device is missing the “Dimming Duration” value under COMMAND_CLASS_SWITCH_MULTILEVEL

#2)

Is the process as easy as pasting the line below into the zwcfg file? (@ # Missing line for “Dimming Duration”)

<Value type="byte" genre="system" instance="1" index="5" label="Dimming Duration" units="" read_only="false" write_only="false" verify_changes="false" poll_intensity="0" min="0" max="255" value="255" />

#3)
Assuming #1 and #2 are correct, it is my understanding that the appropriate order would be:

1. Stop zwave network via the configuration gui
  2. Make edits outlined in #2 above to the zwcfg_xxxx.xml file
  3. Start zwave network
  4. restart

Hi,
Only MultiLevel CC Version 2 and above support the duration Value. - The device you are trying to enable it on is version 1 - so its not going to work.

1 Like

I was worried that would be the culprit. Thanks for the info @Fishwaldo.

If the multilevel CC was version 2, do you believe my plan and edits would have worked? I’m pushing the limits of my knowledge here and just wanted to make sure I’m on the right track.

It it was version 2 you wouldn’t need to edit anything, it would have been discovered automatically like your other switch.

1 Like

That…makes sense, lol.

Looks like the path of least resistance is to buy the Jasco model #14294.

I have that. It works well if you need a basic switch. If you are looking for something that has more capabilities (like scene control) look elsewhere.

1 Like

Interesting. I currently use my model #14294 in a scene to slowly dim the lights over an extended period of time (~45 sec). The other models of GE dimmers that I own do not support this, namely model #12724 mentioned above. Two questions:

1. What capabilities are you referring to with “scene control”? I’m picturing double-tap functionality but that also feels like a trigger.

2. What brands/models do you recommend? I’ve invested fairly heavily in GE z-wave products in an effort to make a simpler system to troubleshoot (changing is only a matter of cost + effort)

I’m picturing double-tap functionality but that also feels like a trigger.

Yes, “Central scene” support means the switch can support double, triple, etc. tapping of the buttons which are detect by the controller for automations. The 14294 (at least the old ones) can do a double tap, but not in a good way.

What brands/models do you recommend?

I have a HomeSeer fan control switch, but their dimmers are the same, support scenes and a programmable RGB status LED. I use the LED to show if any of my doors or windows are open.

Zooz and Inovelli also seem to be popular, but I don’t own them. They have more features, including scenes and status LEDs, depending on the model.

If you want a standard looking switch that dims/toggles and that’s about it, GEs are perfectly acceptable. The 14294 also has a new version, I think it’s mostly hardware design changes. The zwave product DB claims this new version supports central scene, but I’ve not seen anything about it.

1 Like

Thanks for the lesson. I might add a homeseer dimmer to my network to test it out. My GE dimmers have been rock solid - the initial pairing can be a pain, not sure if that is unique to the GE products.

I’ve looked into the innoveli red series in the past due the fact that they do not require a neutral. From what I gather the integration with HA is not great because the switch runs on a newer version of OZW.

This has veered from the original intent fo my post, but I have learned a lot. Your insight is appreciated.