Eight Sleep component

I just bought the Eight Sleep tracker (on it’s way) and was wondering if anyone has tried reverse-engineering their API? https://www.eightsleep.com/

This would be a great addition for automations and scenes. The potential could be quite interesting, such as a) run automations when getting in or out of bed (i.e. lights, thermostat, coffee maker) b) heat up the bed before bedtime c) provide real time stats and announce to speaker. It’s pretty exciting just thinking about the possibilities!! :slight_smile:

It does work with IFTTT, but they are promising more integrations coming soon. Anyone have one who knows how to code??

They don’t have a public API so there’s nothing to reverse-engineer, unfortunately.

umm…well if they had a public API, we wouldn’t need to reverse-engineer :wink:

1 Like

Without a public API, I don’t know how anyone can help you. Have you ever reverse engineered a non-public API?

I’ve heard of it happening yes. Anyways, I didn’t post to get into any back and forth on this…I leave in peace.

Keep an eye on it and if they publish an API, post a Feature Request.

Reverse engineering things is kind of out of the scope of this project, but devs are usually open to working with published APIs. Reverse engineering an application which may not even have an API is a very difficult proposition.

I have ‘reversed’ (really just scraped?) the private APIs for netatmo and withings for a couple of sensors.

@Jer78 I think this is something @rpitera is alluding to, you might need to get messy unless they open their api to developers.

1 Like

I pinged them again to enquire on their plans for releasing an API. It’s something they have been promising for quite some time, so I hope it’s in the works. I don’t mind the scraping approach for getting the data but I guess we’d need an API to send commands.

Scraping would only work if they had a web interface. I don’t see that there.

I’ve had my Eight Sleep mattress cover since last September. I was one of the first backers a couple of years ago. Honestly I really like it, even if it’s only to get an idea of your quality of sleep. Some say it’s not really that accurate, but it’s close enough for me.

I also bought it mostly for home automation and be able to trigger a bunch of automation with it. I held off backing the project until I received confirmation that they would have an API for the product. I am not a coder though, so I won’t be able to contribute, but will be glad to test.

So then I suggest you guys keep an eye out for some word on the release of their api and then make sure you can get access to it; usually will require some kind of a login. Depends on the company; some have it as an option of your existing account and some require a separate ‘developer’ account.

Once you get access and can log in, post a feature request with a link to the API main site. Then make sure you and anyone else who’s interested votes on it.

Here’s the response from Eight Sleep:

We will be releasing our REST API to eager developers wanting to get their hands dirty. It’s definitely part of our roadmap, although we haven’t set a timeline for it yet. If you’d like to start integrations, we do have a public channel available on IFTTT now!

We added you to the list of people we will notify once we get close the release date.

I received a similar response a month or so ago. I’m using the IFTTT tie-ins with HASS now, but will happily code a component once the API docs become available.

Awesome! I’d love to help out too. I’ve been wanting to learn to write components for a few months and it will be motivation to learn! Let’s hope they keep their promise and release a public API.

If they have an app it should be pretty easy to reverse engineer that.

There is an app. I wish I knew where to even start because I’d love to figure out how to code it. Would be a fun project.

Get the app Charles installed and running on your computer and it should be straightforward

I would wait a bit. I’ve had my eight sleep mattress in use for less than a month and the hub has already failed. Waiting on a replacement part, but Chinese New Year means they are out of stock for two weeks to even send one out.

considering the fact the don’t have any replacement hubs ready to go, indicates this is a major issue with their design and have been replacing a lot of failed devices.

Aw that sucks. Let’s hope I don’t have that problem. They don’t ship to Canada so I had to cross the border for mine. If there’s a production issue that won’t be fun having to get a replacement. Best of luck on yours!

Looks like someone there’s a SmartThings integration here, if someone has the know how to port to HA. https://github.com/alyc100/SmartThingsPublic/blob/master/smartapps/alyc100/eight-sleep-connect.src/eight-sleep-connect.groovy

1 Like