Emberpulse - Power Monitoring, Hub and Cloud Analytics

So the South Australian government were giving a lot of these devices away for free as an initiative for home power saving, I got one, and it produces great stats and graphs but they don’t have an open API I know about.

• it has a “hub” which connected to wifi
  • energy monitor in switchboard transmits to the hub and uses current clamps in circuits
  • all data is pushed back to their cloud
  • web and mobile app access to graphs as stats

when we setup hub it produces these tests

The Emberpulse is successfully connected to the cloud.
 The Emberpulse has received an IP address 192.168.1.25.
 A gateway IP address is 192.168.1.1.
 The Emberpulse can ping a gateway.
 The Emberpulse can resolve www.google.com into an IP address 172.217.25.132.
 The Emberpulse can ping www.google.com.
 The Emberpulse can connect to the HTTPS port on www.google.com.
 The Emberpulse can resolve test.mosquitto.org into an IP address 5.196.95.208.
 The Emberpulse can ping test.mosquitto.org.
 The Emberpulse can connect to the MQTT port on test.mosquitto.org.
 The Emberpulse can send and receive MQTT messages from test.mosquitto.org.
 The Emberpulse can resolve emberpulse.com.au into an IP address 52.65.84.136.
 The Emberpulse can ping emberpulse.com.au.
 The Emberpulse can connect to the HTTPS port on emberpulse.com.au.
 The Emberpulse can send HTTPS ping requests and receive successful responses from emberpulse.com.au.
 The Emberpulse can resolve mqtt.emberpulse.com.au into an IP address 52.65.84.136.
 The Emberpulse can ping mqtt.emberpulse.com.au.
 The Emberpulse can connect to the MQTT port on mqtt.emberpulse.com.au.
 The Emberpulse can send and receive MQTT messages from mqtt.emberpulse.com.au.

I would like to get some stats into Home Assistant into my integrated control panel
I email support team and they said they don’t have an API

Anyone want a challenge to reverse-engineering the local device or signals, or back me up requesting the dev team open up a little to Home Assistant?

My best bet would be to scrape the logged in web interface. I tried registering to see what it looks like but sadly you have to own a physical device with a code before you can even register. If you want inspiration you can look at the Verisure solution in homeassistant, it works by logging in and fetching data from their website every 2 minutes. Here is the link to the components: https://github.com/home-assistant/core/tree/dev/homeassistant/components, and here is the link to the underlying library: https://github.com/persandstrom/python-verisure. The verisure integration also manages sessions and stuff so I think you should be all set if you use it as reference.

1 Like

I also have one of these devices in South Australia. One possibility might be to intercept the MQTT traffic at the router, and somehow mirror it into a local MQTT broker which HA could then interrogate.

Captured some traffic, it’s talking to port 8883 at mqtt.emberpulse.com.au, which is very likely MQTT over TLS. So it will require MITM on a TLS connection, and if the Pulse unit checks the server cert for validity that could be problematic.

1 Like

Wanting to do the same thing here - also in Adelaide :slight_smile:

I have contatced the team at 360labs but they’re not willing to assist with opening the codebase.

1 Like

Yeah I gave up also and just installed a Shelly EM, still use the IR Airconditioning controller they gave out though, that connected via IP direct with home assistant without their hub

At last got this working where the Embermeter pair with stick coordinator and the messages are processed with Zigbee2MQTT.