Emporia energy monitoring

Entirely local control. Without it, the current integration relies on the cloud. So all meter data is transmitted up to the vendor website, then back down to your Home Assistant interface over the internet.

To add to this, if/when Emporia goes out of business, the local method will continue to work.

There have a been a number of companies that have ditched their cloud support. Iris (Lowes), Insteon and iHome were all big companies that you would think have some staying power but shut off their cloud and left users hanging. There is a very long list of companies that have decided its not profitable to run the cloud service so they turn it off or go under and leave users with a bunch of useless devices.

1 Like

i just recently purchased one of these units and flashed to esphome. My soldering job leaves something to be desired, but otherwise was a pretty straightforward mod.
I followed all the arrows on the clamps, but all my individual circuits were negative coming into esp. oh well, added *inverse to all the circuit definitions, all fixed.

my only concerns; my voltage reading is showing a 8-10v difference between the two phases, which i think is a little off, but i also haven’t verified with my meter yet. so will see…

second, the volume of events being sent to homeassistant is heavy on recorder, and my power graphs take forever to load after a couple days.
I do have to put a bit more research into how to deal with this. Not sure if there is any way to maintain high detail in recorder for the last couple days, but to average and store less points but still maintain a bit more history for later. (similar to what the energy panel does)

In the mean time, I’m upgrading my HA hardware to a NUC, so it will have a bit more capacity to handle the load.

Should be possible: Basic three-phase power measurements explained - IAEI Magazine

If there is a neutral (4 wires total, 3 phases + 1 neutral), using 3 clamps and adding them together (by creating a template sensor) should result in a correct reading. I encourage you to visit the project’s github page and read the docs there as well as search the issues, there are posts of people working with 3 phase power there.

I’m currently in the process of getting hardware for home assistant. I was thinking of going o-droid (can’t find rpi4) but I’d like to eventually use some energy monitoring. Should I go the NUC route? I have both zigbee and zwave, I guess I would need to get two sticks and that would be it.

I got the email below today which was immediately followed by a second “just kidding we sent this to you in error” email. It looks like they’re gearing up for a new Vue solution. Given the price point of the Vue gen 2 and relative value of a canned solution with all of the monitoring clamps included it wouldn’t surprise me if this new gen 3 no longer has an esp chip inside. If you’re on the fence about getting a Vue and flashing with ESPHome, you may want to pull the trigger sooner than later….