Emporia VUE 2 and esphome

Hello everyone…

I am planning to get my house monitored by the emporia device but do have more than 16 breakers.
I contacted them and they said 2 can run in slave mode acting as one.
But i also found the option to esphome them but i am not quite sure if slaving them is working with esphome and if not if 2 esphome emporias could be integrated to run next to each other…and the values given could be used/analysed as coming from one device…
And before i buy…in case all these questions do work out good. Did anyone hear or experience issues with latest releases of the emporias in terms that they dont work with esphome anymore?

Thx alot upfront

I have the same question. I have two Emporia Vue 2s in order to monitor the entire panel. I just connected one and it is showing huge Balance (due to the other circuits). I am not sure if there is a way to get the two of them to work together so that the balance entity is actually correct?

I don’t have advice about esphome, but if I were you I might choose to just not monitor all breakers. Many probably use negligible power to be monitored independently. Hopefully that works for you to keep this simple

I have 3 of these to monitor every circuit in my panel and my consumption is reporting accurately. You only connect the 200A CT’s on one of them, that is the total for your entire panel. The individual circuits are not summed together, they are independently tracked.

So do your 3 units use esphome?

Yes, all 3 of them are flashed with ESPHome.

I just realized you also asked about latest version. I did have issues with my adapter to flash, bought mine off Amazon a few weeks ago and got the newest version. I ended up using an adapter that exposes RTS and DTR and it flashed without issue that way.

This is the adapter I used… WITMOTION USB-UART 6-in-1 USB to Serial Converter, Multifunctional (USB to TTL/RS485/232, TTL-RS232/485, 232 to 485), Universal Adapter Module with CP2102 Compatible with Windows 7/8/10,Linux, Arduino https://a.co/d/esGleKg

Thx alot for the info…
Do your meter reading and your vue2 somewhat relate? Is it semi accurate?
Can it track energy production?

From what I’ve seen so far it is pretty accurate, but I’ve only had it up for a week. I don’t have anything producing energy so I can’t say for sure, but the github for the project seems to indicate that it is possible.

I just installed one of them with 16 connectors…how in the world did u get 3 of those i to the cabinet?
I was barely able to close mine with just one

Very carefully! It’s a tight fit, but I labeled both ends of every CT and hooked them up, routed them all to the bottom, and zip tied the excess in bundles, connected everything and got it all situated then put the cover back on.

Did you get the configs sorted out?

Darn,la el. Oth ends and bring them down would have been a good idea haha…u should see my spaghetti setup…
But i ran outof room with second unit, no idea how 3 would fit in there.
I havent flashed any of them yet, but the esphome c9nfigs are created…
Was going to use origi am for some time to see how usefull it actually is.
But having 2 is handled bad by vue…they dont appear seamless in one long list…and dont add together nicely…
How does your card look like that u use for your analysis/view?

Good morning
VUE 2 modified with ESPHOME.
same as VUE2.yaml. on home assistant virtual machine works well.
on ihost modified Home assistant returns:

`- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also “/data/build/vue2-1/.pioenvs/vue2-1/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log”.
See also “/data/build/vue2-1/.pioenvs/vue2-1/CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log”.

fatal: not a git repository (or any parent up to mount point /)
Stopping at filesystem boundary (GIT_DISCOVERY_ACROSS_FILESYSTEM not set).
CMake Error at /data/cache/platformio/packages/tool-cmake/share/cmake-3.16/Modules/CMakeTestCCompiler.cmake:60 (message):
The C compiler

"/data/cache/platformio/packages/toolchain-xtensa-esp32/bin/xtensa-esp32-elf-gcc"

is not able to compile a simple test program.

It fails with the following output:

Change Dir: /data/build/vue2-1/.pioenvs/vue2-1/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp

Run Build Command(s):/data/cache/platformio/packages/tool-ninja/ninja cmTC_22cff && [1/2] Building C object CMakeFiles/cmTC_22cff.dir/testCCompiler.c.obj
[2/2] Linking C executable cmTC_22cff
FAILED: cmTC_22cff 
: && /data/cache/platformio/packages/toolchain-xtensa-esp32/bin/xtensa-esp32-elf-gcc -mlongcalls -Wno-frame-address   CMakeFiles/cmTC_22cff.dir/testCCompiler.c.obj  -o cmTC_22cff   && :
/data/cache/platformio/packages/toolchain-xtensa-esp32/bin/../lib/gcc/xtensa-esp32-elf/8.4.0/../../../../xtensa-esp32-elf/bin/ld: /data/cache/platformio/packages/toolchain-xtensa-esp32/bin/../libexec/gcc/xtensa-esp32-elf/8.4.0/liblto_plugin.so: error loading plugin: /data/cache/platformio/packages/toolchain-xtensa-esp32/bin/../libexec/gcc/xtensa-esp32-elf/8.4.0/liblto_plugin.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
ninja: build stopped: subcommand failed.

CMake will not be able to correctly generate this project.
Call Stack (most recent call first):
/data/cache/platformio/packages/framework-espidf/tools/cmake/project.cmake:298 (__project)
CMakeLists.txt:3 (project)

========================= [FAILED] Took 26.35 seconds =========================`

Good afternoon everyone…

I finally dared to flash this puppy and got all done, but not sure what is up with it now.
My esphome dashboard does show it offline, it said it flashed correctly but i cannot ping it on the ip it is set to.
Do i need to put it all back together and have it run with its original power?
Thx for any ideas

It’s been a while since I did this, but I think I remember that if you are testing it from the debug headers, you need to remove the short from IO0 to ground, as this puts the device in bootloader mode. Once it is flashed, you don’t want it to be in that mode, so it can boot normally.

Hello and thx for the reply.
I tried everything i can think of but i cant get this thing to boot when on original power supply. and on the flasher it is just a hit or miss if it boots or not. when it actually boots, it has a long blinking battle between flasher and emporia wifi led and then it works…but very seldom and not quite reproduceable.
its almost looks like it would boot from the flasher stick…is that actually possible?
And how can i reflash a bootloader or repair a seemingly bad flashed chip?

tx

Soo…
I did some more testing.
I am able to nail the issue further down.
Every time i connect with my usb-serial adapter via chrome web serial and try to flash the image i want for the emporia, it boots up.
Does that make sense?
Is it possible, that my attempt to flash it, is instead running the binary on it?
Cause i am getting the failied to initialize from the flashing attempt in chrome and i did not connect io0 to ground
Any ideas?
I have to correct my statement…it only works once in a while…or just in the beginning of the testing…not sure yet if it is a timely thing or a hit or mis