Emulated hue 0.92.1 - "Item" isn't responding, please check network connection etc

This error has just started to occur since upgrading to 0.92.1 today.

I have a number of Sonoff switches utilizing emulated hue to work with my Amazon Echos. Every call to turn one on now gives me the “Isn’t responding” error, however, the switch does turn on.

It is also happening with Belkin Wemo switches that are natively supported. It is not happening with any lights, however.

I have followed all the normal steps, forgotten devices, re-run discovery, deleted the emaulted_hue.json file, re-booted HA, etc etc. The issue still persists.

Any ideas?

I was having the same issue and tried everything, Ended up going with the Alexa integration with Nabu Casa and haven’t had any issues since.

It’s an issue with something that has been changed from 0.91.x to 0.92.x. The component still works, it is just producing an error for some reason.

Yeah I saw the issue once going to 92.0. Some lights would turn on fine but would say it when I turned them off, Still worked as expected just had to listen to Alexa carry on each time.

Bumping this, issue still persists after a fresh pull of 0.92.1. I can not tag the dev, his Github account doesn’t seem to match his HA account.

@techfreek

I am having the same issue. I have several flavors of tasmota (6.5, 6.0, 5.14) running on sonoff switches. all having the same issue that was not there on .91.4

Same issue here with both Sonoff tasmota and Wemo switch.

yes - I have a sonoff basic running esphome - same issue - alexa will turn it on but say the device is not responding… I have 3 zwave lights, they work with no issue.

I am also having this issue since upgrading but with an input Boolean exposed to alexa that has been working flawlessly for almost 2 years.

My Yeelights work, Osram lights work, it seems to be an issue with switches and Alexa.

Same exact issue here, happens with broadlink devices, but not all of them only some which is strange…

only switches by chance? I noticed this morning that my physical switches work fine but template switches appear to have the issue. Could just be an intermittent issue with switches in general. It hasn’t occurred for me on lights at all and that could just be a fluke on my end.

updated to 0.92.2 - same issue. ask alexa to turn on the switch - switch turns on, alexa responds “switch is not responding, please check its network…” if I set up a routine, switch will turn on and off without complaint from alexa.

Same problem here. I may roll back to 0.91.3 until this gets fixed. Everything works just Alexa says it isn’t responding but only in the off position.

I have rolled back to 0.91.1, the issue has gone away, so it’s something that has been changed between 0.91.x and 0.92.x, perhaps to do with this change made in 0.92.0;

Add color support to emulated hue (@techfreek - #19590)

I think it is. A guy mentioned in some PR that he debugged into a similar issue and alexa will send a get at after a put when setting a state. If the state doesn’t match the put, then she responds with “item” isn’t responding etc. I did some digging and found out that in my system only switches have this issue. They also only have this issue when the switch is on. They do not have the issue when the switch is off. So with switch domains only i get:

on to off -> message
on to on -> message
off to on -> no message
off to off -> no message

So this clearly has to do with the on state. And the section of code that covers it does look different. I’ll see if I can get my dev env working with alexa, not making any promises though.

EDIT: I think I may have found the issue. I won’t be able to look into it until tomorrow night. I’ll update if it actually works.

3 Likes

Thanks Petro! This has been bugging me.

Upgraded to 0.92.2, still broken.

Yeah it’s bugging me too. I was waiting for someone to look into it but it looks like that will be a while. Mine as well get my hands dirty.

Same issue here. Glad I found this thread, I was thinking the problem was with my router config.