Emulated Hue and Google Home | Stuck on pairing process

Hi,

I’m trying to connect my Google Home with Emulated Hue.

I verified that the emulated hue component on the server side is working correctly. The response from GET http://192.168.0.17/api/pi/lights is:

{"1": {"modelid": "HASS123", "name": "PC Sleep", "state": {"bri": 0, "on": false, "reachable": true}, "swversion": "123", "type": "Dimmable light", "uniqueid": "switch.home_assistant_system_sleep"}}

Within the Google Home on Android I tried adding a new Philips Hue device. It seems to be able to find the emulated hue bridge, but gets stuck on the pairing process when it asks for the link button to be pressed.

My configuration.yaml looks like this:

emulated_hue:
  type: google_home
  # Google Home does not work on different ports.
  listen_port: 80
  expose_by_default: true
  exposed_domains:
    - switch
1 Like

@Mastergalen did you perhaps get this to work? I’m also struggling with the config process with Google Home. Got Echo to work easily.

Nope :cry:

Could you post the logs from home assistant? Maybe they could shine light on the problem.

Cool will try get to that tomorrow. Could this be due to python not binding to ports below a certain range by default and therefore not being able to bind to port 80?

Try:

setcap "cap_net_bind_service=+ep" /usr/bin/python3.5

in the Linux terminal as root. That should allow Home Assistant to open up port 80 using the Python 3.5 binary. I’ve used the history command to look for “python3” and I remember I did a search in the Internet for the same problem despite not having Google Home yet and there it is.

Only applications below port 1024 can only be opened if it had root privileges. Either Home Assistant must be run as root or you must use setcap for this to work.

1 Like

I was having the same issue as OP. Since I’m using a Raspberry Pi with the AiO, I had to use @bruhautomation’s variation. Seems to have done the trick for me!

sudo setcap ‘cap_net_bind_service=+ep’ /srv/hass/hass_venv/bin/python3

I’m having the same issue as OP. I cant pair emulated_hue component

I’m running Hassbian Home Assistant 0.38.1

I can access info from http://localhost/api/pi/lights but cant pair the emulated_hue component with the hue app, which is what I assume is the next step.

I couldn’t access info from the api page till I used the following comand:

Setcap “cap_net_bind_service=+ep” /usr/bin/python3.5

thanks

Hi, do I need to have an hue account for this to work? I can see my devices on port 80 and Alexa works fine but with Google home only have the option to add a hue account. I’ve created one but as I don’t have any bridge it just can’t find anything… Any workaround?

Found a work around.