Emulated Hue - not working/hub not found

I’ve been trying for the past two days to get anything to see an emulated hue component… I need to be able to connect my Harmony Hub to it so I can use the smart home buttons on my remote.

I’ve tried two different types, one is the built in component (config.yaml - emulated_hue) and also an add-on (here: https://github.com/marcelveldt/hass_emulated_hue).

Both when enabled (separately) show the devices listed if I use the test paths in the browser.

However nothing on the network seems to be able to find the hub - no matter what app I try from my phone (any Hue app) or the Harmony PC software (as described on the emulated hue page) they never see the hub.

I’m at a loss, there is nothing in the logs at all (not sure if something needs to be enabled to see more info somewhere?).

Any help would be appreciated!

I’ve got the same issue. I’m running 2020.12.1 and I’ve been having issues with one of my Shelly dimmers not dimming through emulated hue for some weeks now. Tonight, I reset my harmony hub and restored it and now my four EH lights are all non-responsive despite the HA config not changing and like you, the api links all work Did you make any progress or log a bug report?.

Emulated hue is emulates a Phillips hue generation 1 hub. The chances of this continuing to work over the years is slim because hue has dropped support for it. I wouldn’t be surprised if other company’s drop support as well. I personally moved away from the integration 2 years ago.

If you want to attach your lights to Alexa. Use the Alexa smart home skill.

If you want to attach things to harmony, use emulated roku.

Thanks Petro. I use EH so I can get four lights on to the Harmony remote home automation buttons which makes turning on and dimming the living room light very family friendly. Mine was working fine under 2020.12.1 (besides one light not dimming) until I reset and restored the Harmony Hub. Can’t see how the Roku emulation would allow me to control lights and also can’t connect Harmony buttons to Alexa, only Hue. I have most of my lights exposed through Alexa via Naba Casa but the four I need on the remote can only connect using Hue as far as I’m aware.

Would this be a better option? https://github.com/marcelveldt/hass_emulated_hue

1 Like

Use roku events to fire automations. On the harmony side, assign events to the buttons of choice.

Thanks. I’ll look into that as a workaround as I can’t get https://github.com/marcelveldt/hass_emulated_hue working either.

Hey Petro. Any chance you could explain this Roku integration a little further? I’ve added the config and have tested the emulated Roku using port 8060 and the XML is good. Now what? Having never ever seen a Roku let alone use one, how do I get the Harmony to fire and event in HA? Do I need to add something to the Harmony first? Can I use the event listener for this somehow?

Add the roku as a device in harmony. It’s like a tv.

When actions are performed with the device active, like pressing play, a press play event will appear in home assistant.

Thanks for your input - however that if true is an unfortunate way to take things in HA IMO. You would think that if v1 hubs are phased out the add-on would be updated to use the newer version.

The Harmony does not allow you to add anything EXCEPT home automation devices (such as HUE) to the home automation buttons. So your Roku hack doesn’t work.

Coming from OPENHAB with a working hue emulation add-on I suppose I now have to find another way to get my remote working with HA. I suppose I’m back to having to set up a DIYHUE docker instance outside of HA and hope that works somehow.

You can thank phillips hue for not allowing that. It’s not HA’s fault. Hue closed the gen2 API and made it impossible to emulate.

No, I use this currently as a replacement for hue… You just don’t understand how it works.

Openhabs hue emulation will have the same issues if harmony stops working with gen 1 hues. This is not home assistant’s doing. This is other companies (Hue, logitech). Unfortunately, we are at their mercy.

[quote=“petro, post:10, topic:255762, full:true”]

You can thank phillips hue for not allowing that. It’s not HA’s fault. Hue closed the gen2 API and made it impossible to emulate.

I cannot argue with you on that - I only know that OH2’s add-on works (and it seems to emulate the later API - since you have an config option to emulate a v1 if you need it). It also allows you to virtually push the hub button (which HA add-on doesn’t).

No, I use this currently as a replacement for hue… You just don’t understand how it works.

You’re right I don’t - so why don’t you explain it to me? I literally just checked to see if I could assign something other than home control devices to the home control buttons on my remote and the Harmony software/app says I CANNOT.

Openhabs hue emulation will have the same issues if harmony stops working with gen 1 hues. This is not home assistant’s doing. This is other companies (Hue, logitech). Unfortunately, we are at their mercy.

Again, I can only tell you what I know is working now… and OH2’s Hue emulation is working perfectly with all the apps and Harmony’s smart hub without issue.

Sorry about this replies, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to use this horrible forum software to properly quote you.

I already described it to the other gentleman.

1. Add the integration
  2. Connect to the integration through harmony as a Roku Device.
  3. Use it however you want. To test, select the device and press ANY button on the remote.
  4. (For testing only) Following the documentation for emulated roku, see how the event is shaped. Simply subscribe to the event in the dev_tools event page. Whenever a button, any button, on the remote is pressed when the device is active (in an activity or the device is selected) That event will occur in home assistant and you can execute actions off of it.
  5. Make your automation to do whatever you want in HA using the event that is fired in home assistant.

Don’t click home control buttons, click device control buttons. The same buttons that are available under home control buttons are available under device control buttons. Also these buttons by default send events through the event pipe. You don’t even need to assign any actions to them because the events just appear in HA.

It’s really easy to use… it’s also the same forum that openhab uses.

1 Like

Thank you very much - I will try everything you’ve just said above!

You’re right it is, and many others use this software - I’m just so used to older forum software - pressing the ‘quote’ button in the tool bar adds confusion as it’s similar (to say BB code) but breaks the minute I edit it :rofl:

It’s called Discourse. There’s a tutorial buried somewhere on here. Took me all of 10 minutes to do a few years back and you get a nice badge for it (if you care about that).

Let me see if I can find the link.

Ah, you have to message @discobot to start the advanced tutorial. It will walk you through a bunch of random forum functionality.

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discobot display help.

Awesome, will do thanks!

Sorry back to Emulated Roku and Harmony - I have just now been able to assign the device buttons as you indicated above.

But I wanted to clarify - will the harmony allow me to (re)use the + and - buttons for each separate light/switch just like the original home control would? If yes, I guess this would require some extensive scripting in HA (or Nodered?) to bring all this functionality together?

I’m not sure, I’ve never used those buttons. What did they do?

How it worked with home control was nice.

You assign lights/dimmers, etc to your 4 buttons around the +/-, once you’ve selected the device if it was a dimmer you could then use +/- to adjust brightness.

This of course was handled by the Harmony automatically (via Hue integration).

Ah, Yes, you’d have to handle this logic in home assistant.

Make an input_select. When button a is pressed (event fires), set the input_select to the entity_id you want to target.

Then when the + or - events fire, just use the brightness_step_pct attribute for the light.turn_on service to increase or decrease the current brightness.