Emulated Hue suddenly stopped working with Echo Dot V2

It was these instructions
http://collingwood.me.uk/blog/index.php/hass-io-and-alexa/

and point 6.16

I didn’t have the Alexa Smart Home show up even though I had set all the languages correctly.
I deleted and re entered the code again and again. Eventually I just ploughed on and configured the trigger tab and the Alexa Smart Home came up…just a bit confusing.
Also the redirect urls didn’t make much sense until I read somewhere else how to do it from the above intructions.
I’m still getting lots of errors in my logs though as mentioned previously

Is there any update? I changed the port to 80. Lights getting recognized again in alexa but turning on and off again. Is there any solution for the on/off problem?

Thank you very much.

Ah yea, Personally I would have gone with the instructions linked in the home assistant docs. They are much clearer than those instructions and they provide links to click.

Do you have duplicate entities in alexa?

I just used the instructions from the Haaska site, they were spot on for my setup. Did you get your other error fixed (the log spamming)?

For anyone running Home Assistant on a Synology NAS, these instructions helped me get emulated_hue to respond on port 80: Emulated_hue working in Docker with Echo Gen 2 & Google Home

I still have issues where my echo dot v2 can’t set a dimmer value if I say “Alexa, lights ten percent”, but it does work to say “Alexa, TV room lights ten percent” or “Alexa lights on” (or off). In this case, TV room lights is in the same group as my echo dot, so just using “lights” has always worked before.

Are your lights dimmers? If not, I read a fix where you remove the light from Alexa, turn the light on, then re-discover the light in the Alexa app. That makes the light a simple on/off non-dimmer light which works with Alexa. This worked for me for my one non-dimmer light switch.

1 Like

No still spamming the log over 500 entries now…

What version of Home assistant or hassio are you running? I posted a link earlier in the thread that shows a bug in version 0.98.2 causes the exact errors you are seeing.

I’m running version 0.99.3. I have since abandoned the skill and gone back to emulated hue having reset all echos, deleted all devices and it now appears to be responding and working well…I will go back to the skill at a later time as I did like the extra functionality it had. It’s just at the moment HassIO in my application has too many bugs and I just want to get those addressed before I introduce any others.

1 Like

Some of my lights are dimmers some are just standard plugs but if they are all of when discovering device Alexa sees them all as dimmers. Alexa can turn them on but not off and they show errors. If I delete everything and turn everything on then discover devices Alexa sees everything as a basic light bulb on off only. If it’s a dimmer or not. Weird.

Hi guys,
I’m hoping someone can give me some direction. I’ve been running HA (via docker) for about a year now and enjoyed this new hobby. I have an echo dot v2 setup with emulated hue to control my tv (broadlink mini), lights (xiaomi) etc. Like others I recently have experienced the issues outlined in this thread.
I have been able to successfully change the port to 80 (using macvlan as it would conflict with openmediavault) and my voice commands are up and running again (albeit with the occasional complaint from alexa).

To my question.
I get internet access via 4g wireless (optus in Australia) and unfortunately this means I don’t have a public IP and am unable to port forward (i’ve tried to setup letsencrypt but failed authentication).
I was really interested in trying Haaska (and these emulated hue issues have made me explore it as an alternative) but I don’t believe this is possible.
Is there any other way anyone can recommend for me to integrate the echo dot (alexa app) with home assistant with perhaps the possibility of remote access for some one using 4g wireless?
HA cloud seems to be one option but are there others?

Cheers

Nope, you’ll need to expose your home assistant as a static page (I.E. using a dns) to get any communication with outside sources. If you don’t have that, nothing will work. Cloud is the only service that will.

Thanks for answering my question Petro. I was afraid of that. I may give the cloud trial a go now :slight_smile:

so, you’re saying that you now have functioning Alexa control via emulated hue? are you using port 80 or 8300?

I am using port 8300. Having deleted all devices turned off all alexa devices…I switched on one alexa echo to collect device information, then switched on the other echos that I have. If you do it with all alexa’s on it gets confused, naming devices twice, one Royal Philips the other Dimming. So far so good…It’s been on for 30 hours now and no real problem…I will eventually go back to Haaska as I like the extra functionality…

How many V2 echos do you have on your network. You likely have an echo with the old firmware which is now driving everything. When that echo updates it’s firmware, emulated hue will no longer work.

I have two v2 dots with latest firmware, one v1. Also echo v1 and echo v2. I have queried all of them and they are all latest firmware

Could you please list the device and the firmware version?

thanks! I’ll give that a shot. I had tried going to 80 but got nothing discovered. Went back to 8300 and everything got discovered but nothing worked. just kept saying the device was not responding, check its network connection and power supply.