Emulated Hue suddenly stopped working with Echo Dot V2

I have an idea but it’s a longshot.

I’ve seen a few posts on github a few months ago when this happened in relation to the Tasmota firmware’s Hue emulation where some had similar problems. This appears to have been fixed in subsequent master releases. I, like I presume many have with Sonoff Tasmota devices, have had to switch to their emulation since we lost the ability to do it all through HA. As it happens, it works perfectly well. But I miss scripts, badly.

So my idea is, could the answer lie buried somewhere in Theo Arends code?? I appreciate the HA version must be considerably more complex when dealing with so many different devices and scripts but maybe it’s a good starting point?

Just my 2 pence worth (I’m not a programmer lol).

I don’t think so. They may discard all changes in favor of Nabucasa/Home assistant cloud.

A PR to fix the Emulated Hue component has been approved and merged into 0.103.0 due next week by the looks of it.

PR is HERE.

3 Likes

Is that your handiwork? It’s nice to see that component get some love. Now if there was a way to have that component give HA user access to port 80, hassio users wouldn’t be left in the dust. I’m not sure the main dev’s would allow that though.

No, not me, I’ve just been keeping an eye on it.

It’s taken a while because the component has had many changes made to bring it more into line with native Hue configuration I believe.

What’s funny is the guy has kangaroo in the name… One can only assume.

He must be a good bloke :wink:

Did someone already try if emulated hue works again with 0.103.

Haaska works but it’s really slow for me. Takes 2-4 seconds to turn on a light.
Would really hope that it works local again.

Btw if it works again maybe someone can answer if the 2.gen echo dot is necessary for this or it’s also possible with 3. gen now.

Yes, it’s a bit slower than it was, and a little buggy which is a big improvement over it not working at all. Also, I’m running HA in a venv on the Pi3b+, which possibly could have another influence on these results.

I’ve only tested it on scripts so far on my Echo Dot v2. Out of 4 scripts, Alexa said the devices had a malfunction yet they worked anyway. The forth was a script that called the Alexa Media custom component for verbal feedback on some sensors - that didn’t work when I asked her. However, it did when I manually pressed it in the Alexa app.

I also noticed in the app that the device would momentarily say there was a malfunction when going into it, or until turned on or off. Maybe it’s some kind of delay in reporting statefullness or something.

But hey, I’m just so glad it’s back. Nice one :clap:

Well I’m not sure, but I think it worked like this (say there was malfunction) before when you set the port to 80.

You are right but I’d wish to have it as fast as before.
Could someone who already tested this confirm that we still need the seconds gen echo. I ask because maybe the new code works with current models too?

The hue bridge limitation is on the alexa side. It will never work with newer versions of echo. Hue has a new bridge, newer versions will only work with the newer bridge. The newer bridge is impossible to emulate. So your answer is “No, it will never work, ever. No matter what we update.”

Thanks for your work. Just now updated hassio to 0.103.0 and emulated_hue is back in buisiness. All my devices (switches) are showing in alexa (as lights) and can able to control with app and voice. Great job.

That’s odd because the git file I posted earlier works 100% when on port 80. I’ll stick to that file rather than this handicapped pr I guess.

You’re saying that the emulated hue works on your network when you only have gen 3+ echos?

It’s impossible to emulate a v2 hub?

From what I’ve read, yes. But it also could be that no one has cracked the api.

any one resolve the issue?

I still have the problem that I cannot set up the brightness of a lamp (group of lights) via Alexa. group of lights:

light:
  - platform: group
    name: Sofa
    entities:
      - light.sofa_lampe_1
      - light.sofa_lampe_2
      - light.sofa_lampe_3

Alexa Homepage, double entries. If I remove one, the second automatically disappear. If I want to change the brightness, alexa say: There are more than one device with that name… Via Alexa App I can only see one “Sofa” (light name = Sofa). I removed all entries one by one via app and via the alexa homepage, delete the emulated_hue_ids.json and reboot. After a fresh search -> same double entries. Same for my light group “Küche”. Weird double entry.

My config:

# Example configuration.yaml entry
# http://hassio.local:80/api/pi/lights
host_ip: 192.168.178.10
listen_port: 80
#off_maps_to_on_domains:
#  - script
#  - scene
expose_by_default: false
#exposed_domains:
#  - light
#  - group
#  - switch
entities:
  light.bett:
    name: "Bett"
    hidden: false
  light.schlafzimmer:
    name: "Schlafzimmer"
  light.flurog:
    name: "Flur oben"
  light.flureg_lampe:
    name: "Flur unten"
  light.einfahrt_lampe:
    name: "Einfahrt"
  light.esszimmer_lampe:
    name: "Esszimmer"
  light.stube:
    name: "Stube"
  light.sofa:
    name: "Sofa"
  light.terrasse_lampe:
    name: "Terrasse"
  light.kuche:
    name: "Küche"
  switch.laura_steckdose:
    name: "Laura"
  switch.steckdose:
    name: "Steckdose"
1 Like

Hi guys, i had the issues of ALL my devices couldn’t be seen by Alexa, the difference I had was because the emulator couldn’t set my lights back to white I was using emulation from Home Assistant for only the switches and the emulation from Tasmota for all the lights.

I found I needed to reboot the echo its self (which is also a echo show5) for the devices to be discovered again.

Does this still not wok for HassIO? I can’t use port 80 as my reverse proxy nginx is using it.