Emulated Hue with Alexa

mmm, strange. I may have to make the transition to hass.io :).

Is there still the limit of 49 entities?

Not aware it’s changed, that’s why some people use multiple instances of emulated_hue.

I’m very happy with it, the add-ons system makes it a piece of cake to add functions I’ve been unsure on trying and gives a no effort more secure environment.

You just need to be sure the add-ons you want either exist already (the most popular ones do), be happy to wait for it or create it yourself!

The buzz of being part of something very new is fun too :slight_smile:

Were you able to fix this issue?

how? Does it work?

p.s. Now I use this custom component, but is not maintained by the developer and I think is notworking in HASS.IO

That’s the thread I was referring to, I don’t need it with my set up so haven’t looked any further into it.

will not work with the integrated component like

emulated_hue 1:

emulated_hue 2:

?

No, I am still unable to discover any items in the Alexa app

I’ve been having issues too. Basically tried all of the troubleshooting I could find. I had it working for months and then made one change and now nothing. I commented out everything except one to see if I can get it at least back up. I get the 500 error no matter what I do. Tried changing the listening ports, rebooted my Mac Mini, made the emulated_hue_id.json file and still nada. I don’t know what happened recently, but makes me believe it’s something in the latest release. Might go back to 0.49 and see if that fixes the problem. Really frustrating!!

FYI: New install HASS 0.50.2 on Hassbian works.

I just did a Forget All and then Discover in the Alexa Wep App just to confirm.

I don’t know what I did but miraculously mine also started working again. So odd!

I tend to only update when there’s a change I actually want so perhaps one of the previous updates broke something that isn’t being fixed with subsequent ones and I missed that one.

My Mac Mini was several versions old, hass.io on the Pi is brand new.

@Bobby_Nobble there are almost always breaking changes. Nothing wrong with your update strategy, but make sure you read the Release Notes and the Breaking Changes in all the updates you skip.

Always do, that’s how I pick the ones I want :slight_smile:

I suspected you did. Mostly for future people finding this in a search. Many get caught out not reading.

1 Like

I transitioned to HASS.IO, identical behavior. I can see the data in my browser, but Alexa ain’t picking up jack… Very strange.

When I try to discover my devices thru the Alexa app it does not find any, but if I tell Alexa to discover new devices it works. I can then tell it to turn on/off window light for example. The strange thing is that I can’t see the devices under Smart home/devices. I think Alexa want me to activate a skill. I tried to activate the philips hue skill but that didn’t work (I only have a raspberry pi with home assistant).

I guess it only means that I have to organise groups and automations in home assistant instead,

I eventually got mine working, after I added an Echo Dot. Prior I only had a Ecobee and was running the Alexa App. When I added the Echo, it just started working. Very strange, but happy it works now :slight_smile:

I changed my router and of course lost all of my emulated_hue devices. I’m going to try adding by voice and see if that works. Thanks for the suggestion.