Emulated roku errors on start-up - Why?

I started using the Emulated Roku integration a few weeks ago. Since I installed it, I get this error every time I start HA. The integration does work, even with the error. Anyone know how to fix it?

Error fetching roku data: Invalid response from API: Error occurred while communicating with device

Expand the full error and post it. To expand, click on the error.

Thanks for responding @petro! There really isn’t much more than that. Here is what I get:

2021-01-14 08:09:40 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.roku] Error fetching roku data: Invalid response from API: Error occurred while communicating with device

2021-01-14 08:09:45 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.roku] Error fetching roku data: Invalid response from API: Error occurred while communicating with device

2021-01-14 08:10:02 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.roku] Error fetching roku data: Invalid response from API: Timeout occurred while connecting to device

So that’s not emulated roku, that’s roku. Did you install that by mistake?

Well, maybe this is just a case of me being dumb… I installed Emulated Roku. And after doing so, I received an HA notification that I had a new Roku to configure. Presumably, HA saw the emulated one and wanted me to add it using the Roku integration. Is that not how it should work?

no, emulated roku emulates a roku. So it turns HA into a roku. In turn you can use things like the harmony remote to create roku events in HA.

So what you did is made HA look like a roku to other devices, HA then saw itself as a roku and you integrated it. So your HA roku integration is talking with your HA emulated_roku integration. On startup, HA isn’t emulating the roku so the roku integration errors when it can’t talk to it.

That all makes sense, and was basically my understanding of it. So are you saying these startup errors are actually expected? Or is there something I can/should do to prevent them?

Well, they are expected with the way you set it up. Why would you want to set it up this way anyways? It seems backwards. What’s the end goal setting it up this way?

Maybe I didn’t set it up correctly, then? What did I do wrong, and how should I have done it? The end goal is to be able to use the Emulated Roku with a Harmony remote. And it does work now - Maybe I can set it up in a better way, though?

If that’s your endgoal, just remove the roku integration. This is what you currently have:

This is what you really should have:

The only benefit you get from integrating the roku is that you can use the roku’s media player to base automations off of. But it’s an unnecessary step because you can build your automations off roku events described in the emulated roku documentation.

That makes perfect sense. Thank you! I removed the Roku integration but kept Emulated Roku. Everything still works, and no more errors in the logs!