End of installation requires login

I am installing HASS.io on a RaspberryPI 3 B+ and it runs through the installation on the console and then sits there. I press enter and it displays:

Welcome to HassOS
hassio login:

I have various attempt to login without any success. What do i do to get past this?

I also have a config file on a usb thumb drive plugged in and it connects me to wifi on my tethered phone

2 Likes

I found the answer, It was root. I still need Home Assistant. I’ve been searching the web for help but every installation I see of HASS.io online ends with the Home Assistant GUI interface. Why does my installation end with the hassio > command prompt?

1 Like

I thought I found a way to login. It appears commands that start with the $ sign are not recognized. In fact, not much is recognized and i do not have a fully functional keyboard and my mouse doesn’t work. I must be logged into the root of the OS.

If you have installed the HASSOS image of Hass.IO, are you expecting the GUI on the Pi console? If so that is not how it will work. You need to point a web browser at the IP of the Pi on port 8123 for example.

http://192.168.1.54:8123  (replacing IP with whatever IP your Pi has been assigned. )

From there you should be able to continue the installed/setup.

1 Like

Because that’s EXACTLY what it’s supposed to do. It’s a headless OS. You manage it remotely over the network.

1 Like

Please forgive me, i have been working on the for hours trying to find out how to connect to the PI. I went to my router and attempted to log into my browser on my computer with every ip address i could find. no success

Every YouTube video skips these steps and there is very little info on it.

The PI boots up and then stops. it doesn’t say it is complete or have any welcome screen. How do you know it have booted all the way? There are no instructions on this

Some people are logging into PI@Hassbian through PuTTy with a password. Is there default passwords in the system?

any help is appreciated

Thanks for your response, all the stuff i looked at made me think the browser was in my Raspberry PI.

1 Like

Its not a problem, we all have to start somewhere.

You mention that you connect/tether to the WiFi on your phone in your original post not your router…

The IPs given out by your phones tethering will not normally show up in your router, its also a pretty good chance that your Pi will be ‘hidden’ behind NAT when tethered to your phone and so not visible.

I would suggest if you can for a first time set up to try and connect your Pi with a cable directly to your router. If you really need to use WiFi, then connect to your router WiFi, you should then be able to find the IP.

You also mentioned Hassbian in relation to PuTTY, that’s not the same thing as the HassOS Pi image (which is what it sounds like you have installed) , its based on a different base OS distribution. Once you have the Hass.io running and can access the addons page you can install SSH access from there along with other addons if you wish.

Problem number 1. Unless you follow the documentation provided on the Home Assistant website, it’s going to be out of date.

If you get a command prompt, it’s done.

That would be for Hassbian. If you installed Hassio, you have HASSOS, which is a completely different host/base OS.

If your router doesn’t support mDNS, then you’ll have to use the IP address of your Pi instead of hassio.local . For example, http://192.168.0.9:8123 . You should be able to find the IP address of your Pi from the admin interface of your router.

I’m not sure how that could be mistaken.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply Allan,

I guess out of my frustration I didn’t give all the information to you. during the first post, i was tethered to my phone and I did see it connected to my phone tether. The later post when I referred to the router, I was attempting to connect it to my home network. I plugged it into the Ethernet with no luck and WiFi and no luck there also. Sorry I didn’t make that clear the first time.

Out of all the times I have attempted to install the HASS OS, can the PI hold on to data without the SD card? If so, can it be cleaned up so I can start over?

Part of my frustration is that all the tutorials I come across refer to Resin OS. They edit a network config file that resides on the SD card with the OS. I can’t find no such config file on the new HASS OS. I assume that is where they create a password to log into after the PI boots up.

As for PI@Hassbian and PuTTy, I was referring to an install tutorial that booted up the PI and went into Putty to configure the OS. All these tutorials claim to get their HASS OS from the same location. https://www.home-assistant.io/hassio/installation/. I think there’s just a few small steps between loading the SD card with the OS on the PI and logging into the PI from another source. Such as a browser from another device. As a noob, this seems foreign to me. To be able to log into a device that has not yet been configured. I would think I would have to configure the OS from the device before being able to connect to it.

Last night I had the “headless” PI connect to my phone over WiFi but didn’t know how to log into it. Now I try to connect it to my phone again and it will not connect, even after multiple tries. Later tonight I will attempt to connect it to my computer, right now I’m away from it.

The headless HASS OS will not recognize the $ sign or sudo commands (which I know very little about). In fact, it looks like there is very little that could be done through the root interface.

No, the ONLY storage on the Pi would be an SDCard or USB drive that you plug in. There is no local storage built into the Pi itself.

Then use the official documentation and ONLY install based on that.

HASSOS just came out a few months ago. HASSIO came out last year sometime. Home Assistant came out 5 years ago. It is important for you to know which one you are actually referring to.

Nope. Follow the directions on the website. You don’t have to do anything else.

It gets an IP from your router (DHCP server), and you connect to it. It’s actually a really simple way, very similar to how you connect to a router’s interface to configure it.

Exactly. You aren’t supposed to do anything with the console.

I went through the process one more time and was able to connect it to my phone. AWESOME!!!

Now I went to Chrome and placed the IP address with :8123 and it timed out. I wonder if there is a extra security layer on my cell phone keeping me from accessing it?

I am truly a noob,

I was trying to access the hassio from outside my network on my computer rather than my phone. I AM IN!!! from my phone Chrome browser.

Thanks for all your help flamingm0e and Allan