Energy: Add fixed daily cost

I set this up a few days ago. All working fine until this morning (1/1/24) and the sensors (electricity and gas) have both gone negative: -20 and -24 respectively. The difference is probably due to the initial dates I set (22 & 26 Dec). Is this just me or has anyone else seen this problem?

This solution works well and is easy to set up

1 Like

The energy dashboard hasn’t been abandoned, quite the opposite really. Many features have been added over the past 2 years, and more are in the works (check out the open PR’s on GitHub).

Please try to remember that the vast majority of HA features are contributed by volunteers, including many parts of the energy dashboard. You’re being disrespectful to people who volunteer their time to build cool stuff for others, for free.

Regarding the feature itself, you are right, it will never happen. That’s because the energy dashboard is not meant to be a billing management system, it’s meant to give you insight into your electricity consumption, how to reduce your consumption and how to automate your large consumers. Adding fixed costs does not add any meaningful insight in this regard. So yeah, if you really want to add fixed costs, you can use one of the many (terrible) hacks proposed above or otherwise just accept that the energy dashboard is not meant for this purpose.

2 Likes

I tried this and it’s just 0 for me, created them exactly as the link:
Here are the sensors:

This one seems to be going up but on the energy dashboard

I have it running for about 2 days now

Hi Andrew just used your code for Standing Charge in homeassistant worked a treat great thanks
just needed to add the word template at the very top of your code in the config file