Energy Consumption for Neo Coolcam Plug

Any solution to this issue yet?? (I see that they have solved it at homey’s app)

Probably no update on this? Not much Coolcam plug users in here :slight_smile:

Still have the issue. No fix I think :-/

This is not an ONLY problem of coolcam plugs.
When it turned off, it can report -2147488… kWh. Only way - reset it to zero.
Sometimes it can lost neighbors. It can be a huge problem for network.
It’s a cheapest device, but it so buggy :slight_smile:

Only solution - make a trigger logic “If consumtion < 0 then reset meter values”.

Does some of you have an automation example for such a thing ?

Thanks, what is this ? Is it included in hass ? I have never saw this before.

I guess its NodeRED flow/automation

Yeap! I think it is crap, I’ve wasted o lot of time trying to make them work (3 pcs) not only they loose neighbors, they have terrible signal reception and they almost cant work with secure inclusion (s2) and as mentioned here, they even cant report proper energy usage :slight_smile: avoid at al times! :wink:

I don’t like HASS internal authomation, It’s a NodeRED, flow-based tool by IBM staff.
With HASS integration and MQTT integration (and much more).
Generally, you can do some things from HASS.
“When KWH value <0; send MQTT message to Zw2M: metering reset”

Two of them works in S2 mode.
You can use it, if you want only remote-controlled-socket, nothing more.
In my environments, it used as internet-router watchdog, etc. For devices with very low consumtion, because i dont’t thrust to quality of high power schematics of Neo.

Per 10 Neo sockets:
2 of them have kWh, less, then 0.
1: button light can’t be controlled by configuration (always on)
3: Lost neighbors.

I have 3 Neo and I’m able to include them as S2 Unauthenticated.

It seems to be compatible to S2 Authenticated too, but do you have the 5 digit DSK asked ?
I have tried 00000 and 12345 but without Success.

1 plug does not report anything, even after a reset
1 plug report negative value
1 plug is OK.

All of them have the same FW. (NAS-WR01ZE 2.23)

No issue with button light, haven’t seen any problem about neighbors but maybe I don’t how to see that.

I will have a look at NodeRED. I have heard of it, but I have never try

I found in zwavejs2mqtt store the DSK value of my S2 Unauthenticated Plug.
So I exclude and add them again in S2 Authenticated with the this DSK. All is OK :-).

About reset I made this, it works great :

- id: 'neo_plug_2'
  alias: Neo Plug 2
  trigger:
    platform: numeric_state
    entity_id: sensor.prise_zwave_2_electric_consumption_kwh
    below: 0
  action:
  - service: zwave_js.reset_meter
    target:
      entity_id: sensor.prise_zwave_2_electric_consumption_kwh

I have also a Plug who does not report correctly the voltage, it’s between 12v and 233v. I think the electronic checking the voltage is out of service.

Beware that the plug is NOT always reporting negative values. from time to time it does report real values. I record the values in a database and ignore the negative values. At least it will give some indication of power consumption of the plug. Reset is not a fix for negative values, because soon after it will be negative again and you will have lost the real values and never know the power consumption through the plug. And actually if you would subtract the latest negative value from the previous negative you get the real power consumption in that interval.

After doing some further research, you can create a positive value (in another sensor) by adding 21,474,836.45 to the value. It will give you the real usage.

@pensionado I can confirm that adding this value seems to produce correct values - thanks!
Just out of curiosity - how did you calculate the exact value?

@ahochsteger I had one plug that occasionally had consumption, and as I indicated sometime the correct value was reported. So I reset the meter, created some consumption and waited for the negative value (and the correct one). This enabled me the calculate the correct factor and after confirming the value on some other plugs I found that to be the right value. I have now adjusted my program that records these values in an influxdb and saw that meter reporting is now consistent and correct.

1 Like

According to some bug fixes, the value to be corrected should be the equivalent of 0x7FFFFFFF

0x7FFFFFFF = 2147483647 ==> 21474836.47

This would prevent a decreasing total if you use a template sensor to correct this. I use this atm:

template:
  - sensor:
      - name: "Neo Plug Corrected Energy"
        unit_of_measurement: kWh
        device_class: energy
        state_class: total_increasing
        state: >-
          {% set value = states('sensor.neo_plug_energy') | float(0) %}
          {% set const = 21474836.47 %}
          {% if value < 0 %}{{ (value + const) | round(2) }}
          {% else %}{{ value }}
          {% endif %}
1 Like

when I try this I get errors after the config check. missing value_state and Invalid config for [sensor.template]: [state_class] is an invalid option for [sensor.template]. Check: sensor.template->sensors->neo_plug_bank->state_class. (See ?, line ?).

Can you share your exact yaml configuration?