Energy: Cost for the individual devices

+1 here too!

new update solves this

It does not. It shows the detailed usage (e.g kWh) per individual devices, but not the cost.

Correct and very frustrating they still haven’t included this feature.

Oh dear, now that I’ve got box mini from octopus, set everything up and wanted to see individual devices cost and …this … frustrating. Hopefully won’t be long before it gets implemented, seems like no brainer

1 Like

yes I see your point, youre correct

i must be doing something wrong ?

Looks like you’re doing it right to me. Pretty sure we all expected energy cost to show up in that section when the update released… turns out that’s not the case.

+1 here to!

1 Like

If someone that has the insight into the code around the energy dashboard and calculations I guess adding a little more shouldn’t be to hard to do at the same time?
So could we also include the calculation of self consumed solar in here too? And add a “Cost saved” for it.
This would have to be done for both solar/battery/and other power generating stuff if HA supports. Probably copy/paste between them?

In my mind, it’s basically just another “individual device” calculation… Just “the other way”.

There is already 2 requests for this:

Check my other forum post for solar benefit calculation: Solar benefit calculations - #4 by Bristol-jay

1 Like

I’m excited to share the first version of my custom Home Assistant integration, designed to seamlessly calculate energy costs based on your device’s power consumption and chaning electricity rates like Nordpool. This integration is perfect for anyone looking to get a detailed insight into their energy usage and costs.

Features

• Real-time Energy Cost: Tracks the cost of energy consumption in real-time (€/h).
  • Cumulative/Total Cost: Accumulates the total cost over time.
  • Daily, Monthly, & Yearly Costs: Breaks down energy costs into daily, monthly, and yearly totals.

Screenshots

Real-time Energy Cost
Cumulative Cost Overview

Getting Started

To start using this integration, simply add the power entity of your device and the electricity price entity to the configuration. The integration handles the rest, calculating various cost metrics based on your inputs.

Repository

You can find the code and more details on how to install and use this integration on GitHub:
Dynamic Energy Cost Integration

Note

This project is currently in its early beta phase. We encourage early adopters to use it cautiously and share feedback for further improvements.

UPDATE:

Version 0.2.0 (still very early stage) is up.

Now you can input energy (kwh) sensor and electricity price sensot to the integration like you do with energy dashboard, and get daily, monthly, and yearly cost sensors.

I left the possibility to calculate cost from power sensor, but it’s not that precise as fom energy sensor. Only if you don’t have energy sensor for the device you want to calculate cost, use power sensor.

As said, it’s a early beta and its my first custom integration, first python development and probably my first ever proper development project.

1 Like

@arva This looks great. I am trying to calculate how much it costs to charge my car each day. I am on a variable rate which changes every 30 minutes (Octopus’s Agile tariff in the UK). My car charger (Myenergi Zappi) has an integration which has a sensor for the power delivered to my car. It seems I need to learn and understand Reimann integrations, how to get these to calculate every 30 minutes and some other things before I can even get started. I’ve just lost most of Sunday and feel no closer to do this pretty basic thing. Looks like you are on the way to solving that. I’d be happy to help you test.

Hi!

Actually price change frequency does not matter.

Cost calculation is made every time the energy entity changes. It then calculates the difference between new reading and last reading multiples it with energy price and adds the value to cost.

So it will check the current price on every update. Caveat is that energy sensor must update frequently. Usually it does and if it does not then it would be impossible to calculate cost anyway.

Edge case can be when last known energy reading from the end of hour, let’s say 00:59:30 and next time energy sensor updates one minute interval at 01:00:30. Then the cost will be calculated with the 01:00 price, but some of the energy was actually consumed with last hour price. But for let’s say 10kw power, the half minute energy will be 0.08kwh, and cost with 0.2€/kwh (again edge case where hours difference is 0.2€/keh) is 0.016€, so not so much.

I went with this logic to mitigate the risk of losing data or doing wrong calculations when restart or what ever happens.

If the new value is lower (for example energy sensor resets) it will not do the calculation and just stores the energy value for the next energy sensor update.

This prevents cost decrease. Kind of similar logic as total_increase in HA.

As of calculating cost from Power entity it’s the same. Calculations being made every time power entity changes, but i strongly recommend to use energy sensor instead of power senor tho, couse it’s more precise that from power sensor.

In your case use the Energy consumed today sensor (kWh) in your Myenergi Zappi integration.

As for now the integration is using EUR as hardcoded currency, but you can feed in your GBP/h as price entity. Result cost sensors unit_of_measurement is EUR, but the value is correct. It’s in my to do to make logic that will take the unit of measurement from the inserted energy cost sensor. Meanwhile, you can change the unit of measurement manually in UI.

Great.

I now have two “devices” set up using the integration.

One uses “Zappi power ct internal load” (W) as the Power Usage sensor.

The other uses “Zappi Energy used today” (kWh) as the Energy usage sensor. This sensor resets to 0 at midnight.

They both use the tariff sensor which changes every 30 mins.

Let’s see how they compare after a few days of charging.

1 Like

Probably the kwh one is more precise.

@arva I have a static cost kWh rate here in the US. How am I just setting a default rate using the new dynamic energy costs or is this not what this was designed for?
I have a bunch of devices that keep track of watts consumed and I would just like to turn these into costs associated with the individual devices on the energy monitor tab.

Hi! Make a input number helper and use this as an energy price and you are good to go.

@arva Unfortunately I am not sure what that exactly means. I am still very new to adding any beyond a switch I can turn on/off from my phone. I already read the Input Number and I am lost just like all of the other articles around this. Do you have an example you could provide so I can wrap my head around this?

The tracking energy devices are Shelly EM devices.