Energy: Custom names for individual devices

Is there a way of changing the order of the individually monitored devices without deleting and adding them again?

I’d second that.
ALL the entity cards can be customised, so why not the Energy dashboard.

You create meaningful names for the devices at the time they are installed. Changing them after the fact to fit just one particular view is not what HA is about. HA is about taking control, so you shouldn’t HAVE to do something just to make a device work with ONE view. What about the automations that this will mess up.

As has already been said, the mobile browser view has much less space than the desktop browser view, and what about small display screen. Don’t forget the entity names are assigned by each device as its added, so even if you given the device a short name, you’re still left with a big “Energy TOTAL” after the entity name, so every single energy monitoring entity name would have to be renamed.

Also the graphs and views in the energy dashboard really do need some work. They ALWAYS sort in size order, so switching the timeframe changes the order, which is really consusing. Simlarly there’s no way to fix the minimum and maximum on the graphs, they change when the timeframe changes.

2 Likes

I am hunting for where all my electricity goes - I am using a few tools and this is driving me NUTs. PLEASE let us add a friendly name (even just for the dashboard)…

Nopes.
But the order in which they’re added doesn’t matter, as they will be reordered by order of descending energy consumption in the dashboard. So it may change from day to day, depending on how much energy each device has consumed in relation to others.

Thanks. I guess that makes more sense anyways.

The energy dashboard should be just as customizable as a standard card. MY device names are purposefully standardized, as they can change responsibilities if needed by a alias name change.

The inability to do this on the Energy dash reduces its usefulness.

Sorry for the double post, but I just found that if you add them also as individual devices, you can click on them and set a friendly name, which updates the sources as well.

1 Like

Oh thank you! I never would have guessed that clicking on the bar on the energy dashboard would help with this.
Still should be configurable via the dashboard editor …

Yes, totally agree. It’s as if they’re saying…
“Look, we’ve given you this wonderfull tool. Just be greatful.”

It’s not the same standard as the main dashboard, it can’t be customised, you CAN’T have aliases, you can’t specify the order in which items appear (it’s just biggest first) and ONLY entities with EXACTLY the correct properties can be used.

I wanted to add my gas boiler / central heating run time, as this is a large energy consumer, but there’s nothing to allow runtime hours (or any time unit) available.

That’s a trap. It just opens the entities dialogue. If you rename it there, you rename the entity - which will be done on EVERY place where the entity is used.

We still need a separate name just for the Energy Dashboard.

2 Likes

+1 from me

All my energy entities end with " energy" but since in the Energy dashboard only energy entities are visible, there is no need for showing " energy" - but only on this particular dashboard

1 Like

Custom names for individual energy devices merged for 2024.5 (#20033)

2 Likes