Energy Dashboard Add Electric Car consumption

I have an electric car. Its consumption is measured with a seperate meter, but that should be substracted from the total consumption in order to get a meaningfull measure for home consumption. Some cars can even supply power in peak hours. This enables the dashboard to follow the home consumption (and savings) as well as the car consumption.

I currently have created a template sensor to have this insight, but I could not incorporarte that in the Energy Dashboard

I would love to see such a feature in the energy dashboard.
I think, the main information should come from the integration of the Wallbox (OpenWB, evee, etc.).

There are many options how this could be integrated, since you could have a special tarif for car charging, or you can use your own solar production + grid import, there are a lot of different information that would be nice to have integrated into the energy dashboard.

• Total consumption for charging
  • Total cost per Tarif
  • self consumed energy from solar production vs. imported energy used for chargingā€¦
4 Likes

Good idea, please consider this.

1 Like

I currently have my Car charger setup under ā€œMonitor Induvidual devicesā€ , however Iā€™d much prefer if it showed in the same area in energy distribution as itā€™s own entity and possibly with half hourly graphs.

+1 and voted for this.

4 Likes

Indeed, seems a great idea. The EVs are more and more like the photovoltaic panels - something accessory to the house and worth to be monitored separately.

+1

2 Likes

This would be great.Please implement

This would be a nice addition, to be able to visually see how much the car is drawing.

Would love it!!

Integration with two electric cars should be nice.

This would be super to have!

For the time being, I use the battery integration for my EV. In order to have a ā€œ0 kWhā€ value for unloading the battery, I created a default value with the powercalc integration:

- platform: powercalc
    name: unload_battery
    daily_fixed_energy:
      value: 0.00

As I donā€™t have solar, I also created a default value ā€œ0 kWhā€. otherwise battery consumption is not subtracted from the overall consumption and house consumption shows the same value as overall consumption.

In case you have another work around, let us knowā€¦

4 Likes

thinking about the sameā€¦

having a PV it obviously would be interesting as well how much of the EVā€™s charge came from oneā€™s own roof. (gotta try @schneemenschā€™s approach if this can visualize that for now)

thinking further - the same thinking as for BEVs would be true for other ā€˜bigā€™ consumers ā€¦ like heat pumps

3 Likes

I agree, as the big consumers modify the scale of the bar chart significantlyā€¦

Thanks a lot for sharing this ā€œtrickā€.
So you used the ā€œbattery_simā€ integration from HACS.

I defined the following code in configuration.yaml

battery_sim:
  auto_batterij:
    name: auto batterij
    import_sensor: sensor.laadpaal_real_power_sum    # this is the sensor of my charging station
    export_sensor: sensor.unload_battery
    max_discharge_rate_kw: 11.0
    size_kwh: 90.0
    energy_tariff: 0.30

And I applied your trick for the battery and solar panels (which I do not yet have)

name: unload_battery
    daily_fixed_energy:

name: zonnepanelen_sim
    daily_fixed_energy:

All this makes different sensors.
In the energy dashboard in the battery part I added:
auto batterij - battery energy in
unload_battery

Is this correct the correct way? I am asking, because in the graphs the battery shows negative values for auto batterij - battery energy in

Thanks

actually - no. we used the built in battery function of the energy dashboard. but it seems to work similarly.

yes, power going to a battery shows as negative value, i guess as itā€™s assumed this power should come back again to the home(grid) at some point (adding positively to the statistics then).

1 Like

btwā€¦ not quite what the energy dashboard does, but thereā€™s an app (errā€¦ card) for that:

1 Like

Would be really nice.

Here I got a flat rate contract for free power to my car at home, but the charger runs through the same meter as the rest of the house. Then once a month, the company subtract the charger kWh from the rest, and send a bill separately for the kWh consumption for the house, and a separate fixed bill for the free charging.

So if I use 1000 kWh total and 400 kWh is for the car, the bill would be 600 kWh for the house, and no matter how much I charge the car, the bill for that would be the same, ie. ā‚¬100

As for now, Iā€™m using the grid return, but it could be nice with a separate option for electric car :smiley:

Hi, I am planning to use the ā€œbatteryā€ option of the Energy Dashboard for my electric car, too - when it finally arrives ā€¦ :smiley:

I am not sure, why you need to change the ā€œunload_batteryā€ daily_fixed_energy with 0.00 - I would like to see the behave when this isnā€™t setā€¦
But considering, that ā€œreturn2gridā€ or ā€œreturn2homeā€ will probably come within a few years for battery based cars, I think havin this implemented into the battery itself would be the best solution atm.

On the other hand:
IF you do have a battery - and want to charge your car from that battery, the configuration might be a bit difficult, because you would add both into one ā€œcomponentā€

Do you have ideas for this case (even if it does not apply in my caseā€¦)

1 Like

Well, in general a battery charged as well as discharged, so this is why you have to add both values to the configuration I guess. As the discharge process of the car happens to the car not being attached to the wallbox, I gave it the ā€œ0ā€ value in order to be able to add the car as a battery.
On your second point: Iā€™m not sure if the configuration is difficult at all, you just add a second battery (besides the car) an it monitors what goes an comesā€¦
As you can tell by my post, I have only little knowledge about all this. maybe someone else can elaborate on this topic.
Hopefully we get the Car integration for the powerpanel soonā€¦
You all have a nice day!

I would also love to see this functionality added to the HA energy dashboard. I intend to purchase the Shelly 3EM but would love to know if this is actually considered on the roadmap