Energy Dashboard: Peak power per day/week/month

With the implementation of an old EU directive, Swedish electicity compaines will by the latest January 2027 have to switch model for cost chargeing from todays energy based (per kWh) to a power-based (kW, peak power).

The transition is ongiong, abut have to be completed by all providers by end of 2026.

A commonn model is calculating the average of the biling month’s three top peak power consumptions, measured in 15 minutes periods.

Todays design of the Energy dashboard gives a great understanding of the energy consumption when feeding it from a smart meter, but there is no support for power consumption. As this will be a cost driving factor for many households soon, it would be great to be able to track and visualize power as well as energy.

Hi. Do you have a link to more information about this directive?

Kind of similar in Slovenia (also EU). You will pay a “subscription” for each kW peak power in 5 different time blocks. You could for example pay for 3 kW in the 1st block and if you will consume more than 3 kW in the 15 min block, you would pay quite a lot the excess. The blocks are 0-15 min, 15-30 min, 30-45 min, 45-60 min and peak power is meant as average power in the 15 min block, i.e. kWh consumed in the block times 4.

I implemented this in HA with a simple utility meter helper that resets every 15 min.

This is the EU directive
https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/en/TXT/?uri=CELEX:32019R0943

In Sweden this has been reworked into a national directive (link to Swedish authority of Energy Markets Inspectorate, unfortunately only available in Swedish)

What this basically says is that by 1st January 2027 all households should be subject to a new price model based on peak power (as opposed to consumed energy as of today). The argument is to allow the household to be in a better postion to plan their load balance, and thereby save money.

There are some electricity comapines that has implemented the directive in Sweden too.
One model is based on three max peaks (different days) in the period (month), and the average of those three measurements defines that month’s value.

Swedish is fine. Almost the same as norwegian :wink:

Ok, I understand. Reading your first post in this thread, I was under the assumption that the cost of electricity should be based 100% of max power usage within a time frame. But I understand now that this is something else.

In Norway, this was introduced in 2023 by law and we pay a fee based on the average of the 3 highest power usages (within an hour and on different days) each month.

It would be nice if the energy panel could provide information like this, but I guess it is only a matter of time before someone creates a custom integration for it.

I am hoping for something quite generic in HA, as different countires, and also within countries, there will be differences in how to actually charge the households.

The three-max-average seems to be a popular model, but I know of others.

Once we have a tol in HA to actually capture the sensor and track current max, then the next challenge will be to manage the appliances to limit the cost. This will be a smart-home nightmare, as there will be so many different priorities to handle, should be water boiler take precedence over the oven, or should the electric car heater be allowed to butt in etc etc.

For me it seems like far from “simpler and in more control”, but that might be just me :slight_smile: