Energy - Enable Nested Devices

Lets say- I have a system to measure the current at every breaker in my house.

Lets then say- I also specifically measure the wattage from a few individual fixtures, and appliances.

As it stands- they would appear as separate consumers of energy, with no relation.

This request- is to allow a hierarchy to be formed, allowing you to designate say… the Microwave is nested under the kitchen outlets breaker.

For a visual reference- I would like this information hierarchy available to be easily configured via home assistant.

This is not a hypothetical scenario: I have a smart electrical panel that measures and reports power on each branch, I have PDUs that report power of all loads, and I have Z-Wave power monitors for specific individual loads. When two of these smart electric panels are daisy-chained (1 is a sub-panel to the main), a hierarchy exists.

I strongly “second” this enhancement request/proposal

3 Likes

Yes!

I can see a way to maybe do this but it is all completely manual. We’d have to create template sensors of parent-child to show as the ‘‘parent’’ item in the dashboard to keep it separate though. Which could get messy.

I like knowing that the breaker for my VR room uses X amount but individually in that room seeing what the main computer uses along with a few other devices.

We can go a step further on this and on top of setting up nesting how about manually defining how much wats devices use. Similar to how Alexa does it, you can specify how much each light uses and it can create an energy snapshot of your entire house.

Was just doing a search before raising a Feature Request for this myself!

My scenario that I’d like to have a hierarchical structure for

PowerCalc Devices —
------------------------------| ------- Distribution Board Per-Circuit Monitoring ------- Usage From Provider
Energy Sensors --------

2 Likes

Came here to suggest this feature. Good to see it’s already here!

In my case I measure each ‘group’ on my distribution board, but also have some power strips measured by a power meter, for example to feed my desk. Then I also measure some devices on the desk separately.

This is a very good idea. I’m not at the point yet where I’d be able to use this, but I know the day is coming.

It would be a great help if there is the option to group and cascade/ nested power meters.
Many devices meanwhile could meter electricity consumption, but still not all.
Mostly there is a root meter from the PC or the power company and some additional.
In bigger installations, there are separate root meters and then the meter from the smaller deices. Per fuse or per RCD or in other ways.

If I could add child’s to a power meter would be helpful here. Also, helpful would be to group the meters by floor and room or fuse.this will help to find consumers on the power line much more easy.

I just voted for this. I had put in another request,a nd then tripped over this one. So deleted mine, and voted here.

Seems so obvious.

I bump this one on reddit every now and then. But, looking at the top-voted topics… yea, I just don’t think this one gets enough visibility.