Energy Management in Home Assistant

This is HUGE for me, thank you! 2021.8 is the first update I installed on day 1 of it’s release. So excited that you’ve put a focus on this.

Initially, the sole reason I got into Home Automation was due to installation of my solar panels. I want to make full use of excess electricity produced on the roof.

Shame, EmonCMS integration hasn’t been picked up, showing “No matching statistics found” :frowning:

The CO2 signal website just signs up for news letter, it’s not clear how to get API key. Their doc says " You can get an API key here." which is just their homepage. Have I missed anything?

1 Like

This is great initiative and I will be very interested to see how things develop over time.

I developed my own version of the “Home Assistant Glow” a while ago and I found a pre-made opitcal sensor if people did not want to build their own (this comes with a circular sticky pad and a repeat LED so that you can see that the device is operating).

Details shared below in case this is of interest:

10 Likes

Will there be core support/integration with some of the SDR methods of reading energy meters? I have an. SDR reading my natural gas meter via rtl-sdr, and have been meaning to get at my electric meter as well.

Great initiative to bolster energy monitoring, very important for our environment!

2 Likes

How to get this working for the template.sensor?

I’ve added the following to my configuration.yaml but it is not showing up:

template:
  - sensor:
      - name: solar_panels_total
        state: "{{ states('sensor.growatt_total_lifetime_energy_output') | float | round(0) }}"
        unit_of_measurement: 'kWh'
        state_class: measurement
        device_class: energy 

1 Like

I use DSMR reader and after i intergrate the energy panel i cant use it, because the entity not start with energy_

Is there a way to use DSMR reader entities ?

I’m also trying to get DSM-reader and other template sensor to work, but adding device_class and state_class doesn’t work.

Will the Tesla Powerwall integration be updated? I’d like to use it as my monitor for house usage.

Thanks.

1 Like

Just sign up for the newsletter. The confirmation email for the newsletter contains the API key.

1 Like

Same here.
How need template sensors to be modified so that they can be used?

1 Like

Template sensors do not support this feature as of yet.

2 Likes

Guys, is there an energy meter that I can install by myself, without an electrician? I mean, ultimately I can get a guy to do it, but I’d prefer something plug and play. It’s an European block of flats. Thanks!

1 Like

When trying to add a pwoermeter, solar panels I receive the following error:
“extra keys not allowed @ data[‘currency’]. Got ‘€’”.

Is there any way to reset this, running 2021.8.

This is great, my feedback is the parameters should be clearer what unit of measure and feed they require. I was confused and wanting to understand if it is real time actual consumption to/from the grid OR totals of what the inverter and power meter have recorded over their lifetime.

Also, with the monitoring devices is it lifetime or today’s consumption? The sun is down now, so going to sleep and will check results in the morning.

NB: I have made the assumption that it is totals of everything and HA does some magic to calculate daily usage. If anybody can see anything wrong with what I have chosen please let me know!!

Great work!!

2 Likes

I tried that too, but I don’t get a key or something. Only a mail with a Button called “Yes, subscribe me to this list.”. Is it somewhere in the URL?

Sorry, I was not precise. Sign up for the newsletter and confirm your email address. The second email contains the API key.

I confirmed already. Maybe it takes some time

After changing my MQTT sensors with The Integration - Riemann sum integral they now appear in the drop down list and I can select them. :grinning:

4 Likes

You probably ran a dev version? You should remove the currency field from the energy file in the storage folder.

1 Like

I have two MQTT Sensors for energy consumption defined. One for the currently consumed energy and one with the total value of my energy meter, which will increase till the meter is replaced. How can I make these work?

Here is my config for both of them:

sensor:
- platform: mqtt
  name: "Energy House current"
  device_class: power
  unit_of_measurement: 'W'
  state_topic: "Haus/Energie/Haushalt/power"
- platform: mqtt
  name: "Energy house total"
  device_class: energy
  unit_of_measurement: 'kWh'
  state_topic: "Haus/Energie/Haushalt/total_consumption"
3 Likes

Same here. It’s not clear what parameters to select?
Total consumption overal? Total daily, Total monthly? Peak, off-peak, peak + off-peak?
Unfortunately it only shows my Hass “utility meter” sensors and not the template sensors derived from MQTT.

While I love this feature and am generally very positive of the documentation provided by Hass, this new feature is lacking quite some documentation.

1 Like