Energy Management in Home Assistant

Sensor providing total works the best, however, sensors that reset can be used too, if they provide the right information.

If the sensors show up in the lists, they report themselves as capable of doing that and should be usable.

So the answer: If you are able to add them, they should work as expected, no matter how they work.

2 Likes

That’s nice, now I have to wait for more integrations can be used with this. I receive my grid consumption from influxDB sensor. Wich is not compatible… I don’ want to go back to mqtt :frowning:

After setting up, is there a way to walk through the setup again ? It isn’t calculating the way it should so I would like to keep trying sensors until it makes sense.
Unfortunately several of my Powerwall sensors are not available in the dashboard yet.

Go to configuration and then energy. You should be able to add new and remove others.

1 Like

Configuration > Energy.

1 Like

I had to unsubscribe and subscribe again in order to get the API key

2 Likes

My Solar production (SMA inverter) is received by entity sensor.grid_power . Any Idea why i cant select it in the dropdown in the settings?

Cool, got it setup now. It became only clear after first sensor, you could actually add more sources for consumption and returning energy. I used my monthly values from utility meter as somehow my guts say, if I use daily, it might end-up with some issue where the utility meter and the energy management integration reset values at slightly different times.

Now let me lookup does electricity rates :slight_smile:

This sound like a great feature.
But unfortunately I cant find any informations in the docs how to enable the Energy Management integration…

I tried energy: in the configuration and it works.

But I think this is not the way to try new integrations :slight_smile:

Thank you ! I should have searched more. :frowning:

1 Like

Thanks ! I should have looked more.

My energy meter is basically a FHEM server with an IR reading head connected to my eHZ Smart Meter which talks SML and delivers all the values. I send these decoded values to Home Assistant via MQTT, so what do I need to change to make it report as capable?

You should select the energy entity (total yield) and not the power one.

1 Like

See MQTT Sensor documentation and make sure as much data as possible is provided: last_reset_topic, last_reset_template, state_class, device_class, unit_of_measurement, and anything else you can provide.

The entity has to have the state_class and last_reset attributes

Thanks. Somehow i assumed i needed current production. Thanks

Great stuff! Only at the moment I can’t add any of my entities for grid consumption or return to grid since I’ve custom sensors made using an API. In the dropdown list the sensors are not listed.

This new ‘Energy’ stuff looks cool!
Did take some effort - everything in my home is based around power (kW) rather than energy (kWh) so had some help to get the necessary sensors connected through an ‘integration’ sensor.

Would be cool to see power handled directly in future, avoiding that extra complication when getting set up - looking at some comments here, it seems to be a common barrier to easy use!

This seems to be the key - set up a new ‘integration’ sensor with your kW sensor as the source, and this new sensor should slot right into the Energy stuff!

This has nothing to do with your sensors, it is a bug. Refresh the page when you are on energy config panel and it should work.

1 Like

This is something I’m very interested in but there’s something I don’t quite understand. On my Energy page, the red-orange-green gauge that says “Returned to grid” does not show the same value as the Energy distribution card. I can confirm that the data in the Energy distribution card is correct because it shows the same data as my (template) sensors. Can anyone explain this or how the gauge is calculated? Also I don’t get any calculated costs even though I set prices but that’s not a big deal.

Some suggestions to make these awesome new features even better if you’ll take them:

• Update energy view more than once per hour
  • Let us use template sensors
  • Include gas usage

Thank you for this awesome addition. This is what I’ve been trying to achieve for a long time!

[EDIT]
I noticed the gauge combines what I used from the grid and what I’ve returned. That’s fine but in that case I think the title is a bit misleading/unclear.