Energy meter integration with HA

I think it can do all of these, depending on which circuit you put it or them on… I will get 2 to test, 1 for kitchen circuit and 1 for the studio (need to know the cost anyway for business reasons…)

I get the fact it can connect to the different circuits and switch them on/off but can it be hooked up the same way to the main fuse that I assume all the power is going through? In that case it should show whole house energy consumption I guess.
Would I need to replace my main fuse with this or can this run in parallel with it?

I presume this as that is what I am intending on doing linking it to my breaker switches… as Idon’t think this would replace them

Hi i wanted to confirm something, i have a Shelly Energy meter.

I added to homeassistant using the Shelly intergration on HACS.

Everything works fine. i then wanted to add a ultility_meter . But Utility meter measures in termos of kWh, while the Shelly energy meter reports in W. So i need to use the integration sensor right?

So something like this:

#sensor to move from W to KWH
- platform: integration
  name: energy_spent
  source: sensor.shelly_em_1_current_consumption
  unit_prefix: k
  round: 2

utility_meter:
  energy_daily:
    source: sensor.energy_spent
    cycle: daily
  energy_monthly:
    source: sensor.energy_spent
    cycle: monthly

My problem here is that if i compare the information from energy_daily on homeassistant to want i see reported on Shelly app is kinda of different for one day.

For example the day is just ending here in Portugal and in Homeassistant it reports 12.549 kWh, while in Shelly app for today i see 11.91 kWh .
The difference is not a lot but significant. Am i missing something? is there another way to do this?

Thanks

i am electrician and for me the best is https://www.iammeter.com/

1 Like

more interesting project about iammeter:

Hello everyone.

This could it work with minimal modifications with HA? Does the firmware still need to be rewritten?

I’m using Shelly EM and it is great. generally for such a device you should get a clamp with current rating as close as possible to your general breaker current rating to get more accurate readings. If your main breaker is 60, go for 120A. If your main is not 60 but just have a 60A breaker in your box (which doesn’t make much sense to me) go for 50A transformer.

It works perfectly with HA but not as an integration. It communicates the reading via MQTT and you can create sensors in HA to intercept those values.

sensor:

# ---------- EM -- HOME POWER CONSUMPTION MONITOR

#    DOCS    [ https://shelly-api-docs.shelly.cloud/#shelly-em-overview ]

# SHELLY EM || CHANNEL 0                          

- platform: mqtt                                                    # Voltage

name: "EM Voltage"

state_topic: "shellies/EM/emeter/0/voltage"

unit_of_measurement: "V"

- platform: mqtt                                                    # Power

name: "EM Active Power"

state_topic: "shellies/EM/emeter/0/power"

unit_of_measurement: "W"

- platform: mqtt                                                    # REACTIVE

name: "EM Reactive Power"

state_topic: "shellies/EM/emeter/0/reactive_power"

unit_of_measurement: "VAR"

- platform: mqtt                                                    # total energy in Wh (accumulated in device's non-volatile memory)

name: "EM TOTAL CONSUMPTION"

state_topic: "shellies/EM/emeter/0/total"

unit_of_measurement: "Wh"

- platform: mqtt                                                    # energy counter in Watt-minute

name: "EM ENERGY"

state_topic: "shellies/EM/emeter/0/energy"

unit_of_measurement: "Wm"

- platform: template                                                

sensors:

# TOTAL ENERGY in kWh

em_total_consumption_kwh:

friendly_name: EM TOTAL kWh

unit_of_measurement: 'kWh'

value_template: >-

{{ (states("sensor.em_total_consumption") | float / 1000) | round(3) }}

# TOTAL EM COST 

em_cost:                                                        

friendly_name: "COST"

unit_of_measurement: 'RON'

{{states("sensor.monthly_energy_consumption") | multiply(0.8) | round(2)}}   

# EM AMPS 

em_amps:                                                        # CH 0

friendly_name: EM Amps

unit_of_measurement: 'A'

{{ ((states("sensor.em_active_power") | float) / (states("sensor.em_voltage") | float)) | round(2) }}

# EM AP

em_ap:                                                          # CH 0

friendly_name: EM Apparent Power

unit_of_measurement: 'VA'

{{ sqrt(((states("sensor.em_active_power") | float) **2) + ((states("sensor.em_reactive_power") | float) **2)) |round(2)}}

# EM PF

em_pf:                                                          # CH 0

friendly_name: EM Power Factor

{% if (states("sensor.em_ap") | float) > 0 %}

{{((states("sensor.em_active_power") | float) / (states("sensor.em_ap") | float)) | round(2)}}

{% else %} 

{% endif %}

Good day,
Please help energy meter.
I use as a meter SDM 630 OK!
I need to split into two tariffs
Peak or offpeak
I use, I have a problem recording data. I want the same course as:

when I use:
so I don’t want this
sorry i don’t know the language i use a translator.

How do I get the same record as in the first picture?

something like: meter period hourly NO, quarter-hourly NO
meter peroid online YES .-)

alias: spotreba_denni
description: posledni možnost
trigger:
  - platform: time
    at: '01:00:00'
  - platform: time
    at: '06:00:00'
condition: []
action:
  - service: utility_meter.next_tariff
    data:
      entity_id: utility_meter.energy
mode: single

quarterly-hour is no longer supported I guess cause I could not use it anymore.

Features Upgrades of IAMMETER (Home assistant integration)

https://www.iammeter.com/docs/homeassistant

Looks like a nice piece of equipment, but the picture for the single-phase version shows only one clamp-on Amp sensor. Obviously there are two legs in a normal residential panel. Would I need two of these?

No need for two clamps for single phase. What comes through a phase conductor must go back throough neutral, so it’s no need to measure both, since they will be always equal (unless you’d have a major fault in your system and some of the current would go directly into the ground…)

I’m still not clear how this would work. If you put the clamp on the neutral, that’s bonded to ground inside the main service panel. I’ve seen other “whole house” energy monitors which use two clamps, one on each hot wire. What am I misunderstanding?

The CT clamp of one phase meter is used to clamp on the live wire. It is enough for one phase grid system.

Some products have two CT clamps, because it is designed for the “single-phase three-wire system”.

This is the introduction of “single-phase three-wire system”.

2 Likes

Exactly. What i wrote above is for single phase, which means one phase ans neutral. For this setup it’s enough to measure voltage between L an N and current through L. Then power is UIcos(fi).
If you meant “american style” with two phases, or Three-phase system then yes, you need one clamp for each LIVE wire and it’s still no need for clamp on neutral. Why?

• if you have 1-phase system current goes through live and same current goes back through neutral. So no need to measure twice.
  • In a multi-phase system current goes in one way through one of phases, but it can go BACK via neutral OR another phase. In a latter case you need to measure this “negative” current on this return phase, in order to know that you must take higher voltage in your power calculation(two phase voltage).
    I hope i wrote correctly, since english is not my native language…correct me, if i’m wrong. I live in Slovenia, so i’d need version with 3 clamps for my house. I’m still thinking , since it’s not that cheap…

What iammeter posted is my understanding of how North American home wiring works. The distribution system provides three phases, but individual homes only use one phase, through a center-tap transformer. From there, two hot wires provide 120V to each “leg” on the panel, and connecting between them (using a double-pole breaker) provides 240V. But it’s still all on the same phase, as viewed from the power distribution system.

So, this “one phase” solution may work elsewhere, but it’s not going to work in North America.

I found a diagram which shows what’s going on pretty well: