Energy Smart Meter Integration

Greetings @hammermcg, so far I’ve been unable to purchase a Rainforest device. Have tried a number of times, but they tell me they don’t have any stock due to chip shortages. So to answer your question, no progress. I have been looking at other possible solutions (like shelley etc), but nothing concrete.

Did anybody get any luck with this?

Basically, is it possible to read the data from the smart meter via Zigbee?

I’m in the UK and have a Pipit 500 which uses Zigbee…

I have been wondering the same thing, is it possible to speak directly to the Smart Meter via Zigbee. Unfortunately Rainforest Automation keep telling me the EAGLE-200 is still unavailable due to chip shortages, so I am wondering if there’s any way to DIY something?

I’ve reached out directly to reamped energy and awaiting a response to open it up. Then need to dive into something to get it to work. Shame to hear about chip shortage still.

Heads up!! Rainforest Automation have a limited number of EAGLE-200 units for sale on their US website. There is an option for shipping the units to Australia. I’ve just placed my order, so get in quick if you are wanting to purchase an EAGLE-200.

Sell a kidney on shipping?

Yes, unfortunately the shipping wasn’t cheap… but I figured there were no local suppliers, so it is what it is :slight_smile:

So after some interesting twists and turns my Eagle 200 is finally connected to my electricity meter. That was quite a journey… especially when my electricity provider appeared not to know how to provision the power meter.

So I added the Eagle 200 to my Energy Dashboard, but I noticed an error which could be my mistake, so am looking for some advice.

Here’s the error…

Would appreciate any feedback/advice on above? It’s probably something simple?

Disregard above… a reboot of the HA server fixed the problem.

Morning all,
First post here and just getting started with my HA journey.
I’ve got a solar inverter (fronius) but no smart meter. I have used push services to push generation stats from inverter to pvoutput and then integrated from there into HA. I then used mitmproxy to grab consumption stats from my powerpal. What i’m curious about is how I now get the grid export to complete my energy dashboard. Will purchasing one of these zigbee devices and registering it with myenergy portal give me my grid export or will it only give me what my powerpal already is (consumption)?

Cheers,
Adam

You should be able to use the pvoutput integration for grid export. I use sensor.energy_generated
Powerpal were also offering a beta wifi device recently, so as to avoid the mitmproxy stuff in the future.

Unfortunately I don’t have a fronius smart meter so I only see generation from the inverter.

You have powerpal for energy consumed, and are exporting fronius via pvoutput for energy generated.

With powerpal as consumption on energy dashboard and pvoutput energy generated on energy exported to grid you will up with a Net figure and graph on your dash board.

Nah powerpal only tells me what I’m consuming from the grid, not from solar. That’s the missing gap…how much of my solar generation I’m actually using.

Powerpal also tells you when you aren’t consuming from the grid. You will use 0 watts from powerpal when you are exporting to the grid. Pvoutput will be exporting at the time.

If you really want accuracy you need a Current Clamp device on the incoming supply and a separate clamp on your outgoing solar.

“PVOutput will be exporting at the time”

Not sure I follow with this bit sorry. My understanding was that I need a fronius smart meter to know what solar generation is being used to power my home and what is being exported to grid.

You have your inverter exporting to pvoutput already. You can pull that data back into HA with the below integration. It will create a sensor.power_generated. You put that on your dashboard.

Ah yep sorry. Confusing the term “export” for meaning 'export to grid".

Already have solar generation exporting to PVOutput and importing to HA. I then have consumption from the grid being monitored via powerpal.

I don’t have consumption from solar which is what I need to then determine export to grid (or vice versa).

I have one, the older version with 4 LED lights. PG&E was happy to pair my meter to that device. I found that the graph in HomeAssistant would stop reporting, it seems the rainforest device is flakey as power cycling it results in consumption showing up in HomeAssistant again.

I recently set up ZHA with a Sonoff 3.0 stick. I called PG&E and tried to see about pairing the meter directly to HomeAssistasnt. They said on their end they need the MAC and the Install ID number (IN). We tried the MAC with nothing for IN, we tried the MAC with 0’s for IN and 9’s for IN, we also tried the MAC for both, and lastly we tried the MAC with the IN from my old Rainforest hub. None seemed to work, I had ZHA scanning for new devices during the whole call.

I’d really like to find a way to pair the meter directly. Hopefully there’s a workaround. Maybe someone smarter can write something to imitate an approved device and somehow trick the meter into pairing directly with ZHA.

It appears that utilities implement smart meters to act as a Zigbee coordinator. As far as I’m aware, one cannot make two coordinators talk to each other and therefor direct connection between smart meter and ZHA coordinator isn’t possible.

I thin I’m going to buy this and flash ESPHome onto it: