Energy: water usage

Hi Rene,

I’ve just posted a summary here Water metering using Sensus HRI, libmbus, MQTT and Utility Meter integration

Bests
Jens

One more thing to add, I’ve created Add water/fluids to available device classes · Issue #697 · home-assistant/architecture · GitHub to (maybe) get water as supported device class, similar like gas. Please add you comments / thoughts / feedback! Thanks a lot!

4 Likes

I totally agree that it would be nice to have a water meter added to the energy dashboard! I hope this will be possible in the further.

Suggest you guys also vote here → https://community.home-assistant.io/t/rename-the-energy-dashboard-to-utility-to-make-it-include-readings-for-all-public-utility-resources-including-electricity-gas-heating-and-water/338847

Interesting to see some people referring to Gas as energy. I disagree gas is energy. Energy is the heat it produces by burning it. Gas is a resource like water. Although I agree typically water is not used to produce energy, but it is also a resource consumed in our homes.

1 Like

For me it does not matter how water will be interpreted,
I would really like to see a dashboard similar to energy with history of my water consumption.

2 Likes

I agree with you! And want to add that at least in the Netherlands (in new construction houses) hot water is used as heating instead of gas.

Those houses don’t have a gas connection at all, but instead get their “hot water” from centralized district heating. This water heats the floors and is used for warm running water.

Which makes it function the same as the gas in the energy dashboard.

This is the reason I would LOVE a (hot) water consumption meter in the Energy dashboard!

3 Likes

Same for me, integrated or in it’s own dashboard is detail, what I’d like to see is water treated the same way as energy is, for the same reason: automatic day/week summary and estimation of bill…
the fact it’s energy (electric or chemical) or water is not important in this context, what count is that it’s metered resource you have to pay per consumption.
I see 2 difference:

Contrary to electricity, you can not reinject in to network, so there is no concept of production price (elven if you can auto produce, it’s only for self consumption)

having alarms for over-consumption is much much more useful than for electricity… Water loss in conduits or toilets is a very common problem, which can turn expensive if you are not aware of it…

Since i found and enjoyed the energy dashboard, i was surprised not to find a water one (i also have a connected water meter through hacs/mqtt, so i have the data, just not the nice statistics and integration automatically done like for energy)…
Adding it is really a no brainer, in fact i may hack the gas one (which i do not use at home) to present water as gas if it does not come soon :wink:

1 Like

Water should be in the same dashboard as Energy. Energy can be renamed - probably to “Utilities”

See for example this official web page listing utilities.

Regarding water: do not forget to distinguish cold water and hot water. In some appartment buildings the water heater is central and hot water costs more.

So basically I would propose that Energy become Utilities and is capable of coping with:

• Electricity
  • Gaz
  • Cold water
  • Hot water
  • Waste (I am sure there are cases where you can either have the total number of collections and even weight - think about non-recycable waste, recyclable waste, vegetable waste, dangerous waste);
  • Telecoms (total GB in/out consumed, total calls, total time, etc).

I am not saying that it has to do all that short term, but that developement should be done with that in mind.

Just found Rename the Energy dashboard to "Utilities" to make it include readings for all public utility resources, including electricity, gas, heating, and water again (I already voted for it) .

5 Likes

Should be really awesome to have the Energy tab turned into Utilities or something. I just set up my water meter of the incoming waterline in my house. Fingers crossed that this will make it into Home Assistant :wink:

Just another point of view… don’t go to town on me.

Energy: The power from something such as electricity or oil that can do work, such as providing light and heat.

Utilities: It is electricity, gas, water, telecommunications, internet, rubbish, sewerage etc

HA Energy = is power

A simple solution if you would like water just add another page, its there now. You can read what comes out of the sky, what is held in your water tanks, read mains water usage how much you use in your garden / bathroom / kitchen / dishwasher / washing machine… it up to you and your imagination. That is why we all love HA. But it is not energy.

I mean there is no harm adding it to energy but then it wouldn’t be call that… it would be called Utilities right. Then it start to get messy and would assume hard to maintain. Like what about car petrol/gas… well we charge our EV right… why not measure how much petrol we use. I hear some people have diesel tanks for heating… that’s power right… most HA users just add a sensor to keep an eye on it.

If you would like a page called Utilities just make one and have everything in there.

Remember is just another click to go from water to energy. You still have to get all the sensors to read water.

I don’t know just playing the other side. :confused:

That would be ok if the "engergy cards’ were available to use with ANY sensor we throw at it.
So we could have these nice diagrams for water as well.
Not to mention the monthly-day by day bar chart for the individual devices already in the Energy tab.

2 Likes

So I plead for the addition of water to the energy panel. It is a raw material consumed by households. People who do not want it displayed in the energy panel will not set it. But those who want it there will have the opportunity to set this function. in CR, water is supplied and invoiced in m3, just like gas (which is also only consumed by households, energy is subsequently produced from it)

Hi there,
I have the same need, to check for water consumed.
I share 100% what have been discussed.
Is there any news on that?
Thank you

1 Like

Good day, I came across this search looking for a way to add my water usage to the energy dashboard. I sort of agree that it should be renamed to utility or consumption dashboard. Electricity, gas, water etc.

I would also want the ability to monitor different sources of water, for example, clean municipal water, borehole and Grey water. With the ability to install meters downstream to the monitor what is using how much. Exactly like the electricity meter…

+1 for native integration. Just ound this project, and it’s amazing! GitHub - anas-ivs/ESPHome-Water-Meter: Home Automation using Home Assistant & ESP Home for measuring water parameters and automations

FYI this is coming in 2022.11

2 Likes

I think you mean 2022.11 (ref: WTH do we have Energy dashboard and no Water dashboard? - #29 by frenck)

1 Like

That’s what I said :wink: