Enhanced Sun component

There’s already a request for something to do with golden hour, although I could never exactly understand what was being asked for:

sorry. missed that. did my request bring some extra info on what is asked for? I gladly repost the above in the issue on your GitHub if you prefer that.

Hi Phil,

The moment finally seems to have arrived the older sun enhancement integration starts getting/causing issues with HA. As of this update 115.x I see an error in the log, which seems to have been caused by my automation (that has never errored before) using platform state on the sun.sun integration…
I’ve posted it as an issue on the GitHub, (fully respecting you don’t maintain/support that any longer)

seems we would only miss out on attributes next_daylight and prev_daylight, when using the core sun integration and you sun2 integration?

But, these could be templated (…) from the daylight attributes in your sun2 integration.

Main issue would be here to note the sun enhancement integration now causes trouble… or is it something else completely and am I searching in the wrong direction?
thanks for having a look if you would.

I’m not seeing any issues here with sun2

No, it was the older Enhanced Sun integration, not Sun2.

I tried making a template for when the sun is at 2/3 of its max elevation but I don’t know how to enter it error free into my config.yaml

- platform: template
    sensors:
      two_thirds_of_max_elevation:
        value_template: '{{ states('sensor.max_elevation') / 100 * 66 }}'

Also, how would I have to enter it as a condition in an automation?
Will it pop up in the list of entities once it’s configured correctly in the config.yaml file?
I mean I can’t set the following into the “below” field of a “numeric state”-trigger

{{ states('sensor.max_elevation') / 100 * 66 }}

so I suppose it works the former way

edit: by the way, I just realized I don’t even know how to do a trigger “if the sun is at max elevation, today, then do x”
Just setting the max_elevation sensor as the trigger doesn’t work. It triggers the automation at 0:00 AM.
I’ll try setting max_elevation to “on” as the trigger and see if that works
Tried adding a binary sensor

- platform: sun2
    monitored_conditions:
      - max_elevation     
     ;I tried it like this                        
      - elevation:
          above: max_elevation
          name: Above Max Elevation
     ;and then like this

Both gave me an error

Hey Phil…

Any reason the sun2 elevation
[sensor.solar_elevation]
Is showing only nearest degree? The sun.sun elevation attribute for example shows 52.42 and sun2 says 42.5 (so maybe now 0.5 degree)?

Yep, not supporting that older custom integration any more, and yep, enough reorganization within HA’s core was done that the old custom integration no longer works. RIP!

Hey Phil,

would there be a way to calculate the max_elevation and min_elevation during the year on a certain location (default Instance location)? We can have the min_ and max_ for the 3 days with the current sensors, but this doesn’t give us the locations overall min_ and max_ elevation.
Given the current attributes and states, I didnt quite see a quick solution for this challenge…
nor did the https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/netherlands/amsterdam and https://www.suncalc.org/ websites, without having to fiddle with the clock.

thanks if you could have a look

@pnbruckner
It works today even after the “security earthquake” :slight_smile: : HassOS 5.10, supervisor-2021.01.7, core-2021.1.5

Hi David!

Sorry, I’ve been “away” from HA for a while.

I took a different tack with this integration. Instead of updating periodically (where the period changes throughout the day per a “step function”), this sensor was designed to only update whenever the value changed by 0.5 degrees. So it “automatically” updates more often where the slope is higher and less often where the slope is lower.

1 Like

While you’re here Phil

* No 'version' key in the manifest file for custom integration 'sun2'. This will not be allowed in a future version of Home Assistant. Please report this to the maintainer of 'sun2'

in 2021.3.0b0. I suspect it’s an easy fix…

Same for your illuminance integration as well

Yep, already saw that and working on it…

BTW, I should mention, the values are not really being “rounded.” I.e., it’s not grabbing the elevation at some “random” time and rounding to the nearest 0.5 degrees. Rather, it’s waiting until the elevation gets to the next 0.5 degree increment and then it updates the sensor at that time. E.g., if you enable debug for the integration you’ll see lines like these in the log:

2021-02-25 08:10:23 DEBUG (MainThread) [custom_components.sun2.sensor] Raw elevation = 16.499365 -> 16.5
2021-02-25 08:13:25 DEBUG (MainThread) [custom_components.sun2.sensor] Raw elevation = 16.998134 -> 17.0
2021-02-25 08:16:28 DEBUG (MainThread) [custom_components.sun2.sensor] Raw elevation = 17.496940 -> 17.5
2021-02-25 08:19:33 DEBUG (MainThread) [custom_components.sun2.sensor] Raw elevation = 17.998357 -> 18.0
2021-02-25 08:22:38 DEBUG (MainThread) [custom_components.sun2.sensor] Raw elevation = 18.496835 -> 18.5

It strives to determine the next update time so that the difference between the actual and reported values is no more than 0.02 degrees.

1 Like

A bug has been discovered that can prevent the elevation sensor from working correctly under some circumstances. See Issue #27. It can look like this:

I believe I have a fix (although I haven’t been able to reproduce the problem in the first place, so…) See PR #28.

I’d appreciate any feedback.

1 Like

I have not seen that bug. I use elevation to trigger a light and it always works for me… :man_shrugging:

Released 1.8.2

Fixes bug noted above. Also add version and issue_tracker to manifest.json per new custom integration requirements.

Hi! It Be possible to set a 0.1° step in elevation? or set a range of elevation within which the refresh rate is higher?

What would be the purpose? I mean, why do you think you need that extra precision, and what would you be able to do differently if you had it?

I use an automation that, when the sun sets, softly turns on a lamp, which increases the brightness when the sun goes down by calculating the brightness using the sun elevation value.
The lamp goes from 0 to maximum brightness with the elevation ranging from 5 to -5 °.
A step of 0.5 makes the brightness change in visible steps, if I have more precision I can calculate the brightness better and have no visible changes.
Sorry for my english