Enphase Envoy with Energy Dashboard

Your installer doesn’t know what they are doing. You have to have that saying it’s enabled otherwise it’s not doing anything. Use the installer password generator from my GitHub and enable it yourself.

Enphase dashboard looks fine, I guess they just correct the data to make sense on their backend?

The absolute value tweak is good enough for me :wink:

Also, these values make sense to me, right now at night

I have 938W consumption, and a negative production (they always draw 1W at night)

And during the day, the dashboard shows a nice positive production when the sun is shining.

What does this page show when you login? https://enlighten.enphaseenergy.com/

Is your production blue and above the line?

If you have it like that; it meant that your consumption metering was not enabled. That is the same issue i’m having and i called my installer about that, he told me in order to have that enable, he will charge me $500.00 US.

If you paid for consumption monitoring then you don’t need to pay for it again …

You’re a bit confused about the templates - one measures how much you export - for that you subtract consumption from production - you only export if you generate more than you consume. If you apply ABS to that calculation, it will never calculate export correctly. The templates as suppled are correct and don’t need ABS … I did modify mine though as I removed INT since INT rounds to nearest whole number and I want mine to be more accurate.

Can’t find the exact same view, but it looks like this:

In the iOS app I have bars:

Does this sensor ever go positive in the day?

I only ask because the other 3 production sensors show a positive number

As for production figures and night time, mine show +4 Watts at night which is simply not possible.
Your system is appears to be doing a very similar thing, but is instead showing a negative 1 at night.
Personally, I felt this skewed my figures and I went out of my way to correct this in this post Enhpase Envoy on 2021.8 with new Energy feature - #3 by del13r

Yes, right now it is positive (296W). And Power Consuption is also positive (916W).

So with the | abs my sensors read:
Grid Import Power 620W
Grid Export Power 0W

Other than your production showing -1W only at night time, what is the exact problem that abs is supposed to fix?

If you are concerned that you can no longer see any negative production at night time, then I don’t understand why that would be a concern or why you would want to see and keep that erroneous information.

Also, if the panels were ‘drawing’ power at night time, shouldn’t that just be counted as consumption?

In theory, if you are measuring production with let’s say an odometer, odometers are only meant to increase. Your production going minus at night is the equivalent to trying to drive a car in reverse to wind the odometer back. This is why I wrote post 3 to zero out any erroneous figures at night when the sun isn’t shining so I can record more accurate figures.

My position is that production should not be anything other than 0 at night time. If the panels were drawing power, the only place they can get power is from the grid and therefore that would be represented as house consumption.

I have done a test with dev tools and my code still works even when your production is -1W.

template:
  - sensor:
        name: Grid Import Power
        state_class: measurement
        icon: mdi:transmission-tower
        unit_of_measurement: W
        device_class: power
        state: >
            {{ [0,
              500 | int
              -
              -1 | int
              ] | max }}

In the test above, to simulate your situation, I have replaced the house consumption sensor with 500W and the solar panel production sensor with -1W.
My code has seen your -1W and added it to the 500W to make 501W (see result on right of image below).
So essentially, it has seen what you think is the panels drawing 1W of power and counted it as grid consumption. I see no problem here.

If this extra watt being added to your grid import at night time is bothering you, then I suggest you go and look at post 3 of this thread and zero out your night time production figures.

See Enhpase Envoy on 2021.8 with new Energy feature - #3 by del13r

Hmmm, yes, you totally make sense. I’m confused now why my envoy gave a negative number for consumption, which is what made me add the abs in the first place.

Maybe if my solar panels produce more than my consumption, the envoy returns a negative number for consumption. Which might mean the clamps are installed in the wrong place?

I am still trying to pinpoint what is wrong.

We have established that the production shows -1W at night, what else?

At what sensor is it showing negative?
Is the enphase current consumption sensor or current production sensors negative? or is it just the grid import or grid export number that is negative?
Which of these 4 sensors is showing incorrectly as negative? 2 are from the enphase integration and 2 are from the template sensor in my first post.

The other thought I had was you may or may not be wired for net metering and that may be causing negative values.
I know basically nothing about net metering and I might be sending you off on a different tangent.

See

And

Happy to try help, but I need more information from you to help any further.

Yes, Net metering is used here.

The Enpase Current Consumption was negative. That’s why I initially added the abs to {{ [0, states('sensor.envoy_xxxx_current_power_production') | int - states('sensor.envoy_xxxx_current_power_consumption') | int ] | max }} because it subtracted a negative consumption number, ending up with an addition, causing a way bigger Grid Export Power than was actually happening.

I will gather some more values when the sun is shining and come back later :slight_smile:

For other’s reference:

Gross metering:
The total energy generated by the solar rooftop plant is to be injected into the grid without allowing the generated solar energy to be consumed directly by the consumer.

Net Metering:
The energy generated by the solar rooftop plant is first allowed for self-consumption and the excess energy is injected to the grid. Net metering adjusts what you feed into the grid against what you take from the grid and only charges you for the difference.

A history graph would be helpful to show when it is going negative.

Right, I forgot about the History function :slight_smile:

Power Consumption:

Power Production:

Some numbers so far, still waiting for having enough sun to have more production than consumption:

Envoy Current Power Consumption  757 W
Envoy Current Power Production    60 W
Grid Export Power                  0 W
Grid Import Power                697 W

Envoy Current Power Consumption  696 W
Envoy Current Power Production	 131 W
Grid Import Power                565 W

Envoy Current Power Consumption  519 W
Envoy Current Power Production	 495 W
Grid Import Power                 24 W

Envoy Current Power Consumption  193 W
Envoy Current Power Production	 777 W
Grid Export Power                584 W
Grid Import Power                  0 W

Envoy Current Power Consumption   88 W
Envoy Current Power Production	 774 W
Grid Export Power                686 W

Envoy Current Power Consumption  216 W
Envoy Current Power Production	 774 W
Grid Export Power                558 W

It looks like the Envoy Power Consumption meter is already subtracting power production from it.

The sun came out, more production than consumption, now the envoy meter went negative:

More production than consumption:
Envoy Current Power Consumption  -59 W
Envoy Current Power Production	1105 W
Grid Export Power               1046 W

Envoy Current Power Consumption -820 W
Envoy Current Power Production	1941 W
Grid Export Power               1122 W

I would guess, my Grid Export Power is 820W in the last example, instead of 1122W. So I can probably just take Current Power Consumption and if it is negative, it is grid export power, if it is positive, it is Grid Import Power?

Note, this is with the abs, otherwise I had 1941 + 820W (1941 - -820) as Grid Export Power.

So, maybe this would work for me:

# If Power Consumption is positive, it is Grid Import Power	
- sensor:
    name: Grid Import Power
      {{ [0, states('sensor.envoy_xxx_current_power_consumption') | int ] | max }}

# If Power Consumption is negative, it is Grid Export Power
- sensor:
    name: Grid Export Power
      {{ [0, states('sensor.envoy_xxx_current_power_consumption') | int ] | min | abs }}

Which reads:

Envoy Current Power Consumption  -277 W
Envoy Current Power Production	 1173 W
Grid Export Power                 277 W
Grid Import Power                   0 W

Looks better I guess:

The cross is where I changed the formula, a lot less grid export power :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for showing the history graphs.
Definitely helps to try and understand the issue.

I have a theory.
CT clamps have an arrow on them.
This indicates that ct clamps are only meant to measure the flow of electrons in only 1 direction.
In the case of this ct clamp, it’s purely meant to measure the flow of electrons from the grid into your home.

This has to either be an issue with where the consumption ct clamp has been installed, it’s orientation (arrow direction) or with a software setting on the envoy or a combination of all 3 possible causes.

Keeping in mind that consumption monitoring is an optional add on that doesn’t interfere with the core functionality of the solar system. Therefore the installer is less likely to be concerned about wether your consumption monitoring is reporting the correct information as it’s just there for your information really. Incorrect consumption ct clamp placement won’t shorten the life of the system or affect your warranty so I can see why many installers might not put a priority on getting this right.

The consumption ct clamp is only meant to record power pulled from the grid. The fact your consumption graph goes negative in the middle of a sunny day is telling you that the consumption ct clamp is also detecting some of the energy that your solar panels are sending to your home. This result should not happen, as that is what the production ct clamp is for.

My advice, get the installer back out to double check their work.

See

See https://enphase.com/sites/default/files/2021-05/Installing_Consumptions_CTs_Tech_Brief_EN_NA_1.pdf

See
https://community.enphase.com/s/question/0D53m00006liUnY/negative-readings-ct-clamp-when-generating

No that’s wrong - they measure current flow in both directions - they measure the magnetic field around a cable because the clamp is made from a coil of wire that’s wound in a specific direction. if you reverse the clamp, it measures backwards. The arrow points in the direction of current flow that gives a positive reading. If you install t backwards, it will display a negative number.

1 Like

I confirmed the CT clamps are installed correctly:

Arrow from solar panels to electrical cabinet:

Arrow from the grid (street) to the electrical cabinet:

Production Meter in the Envoy configuration:

Consumption Meter in the Envoy configuration:

The “Metered Circuit” is not editable.

I will have a look tomorrow when there is production on how this Consumption meter looks. It’s night now, so no solar generation, which seems to show correctly on this “load only” vs “load with solar production” being equal with 0 production.

What does confuse me, in https://media-store.enphase.com/productattach/e/n/envoy_s_metered_quick_install_guide.pdf page 2 it mentions 3 CT clamps, while I only have 2 installed?

Thanks, I stand corrected.

I now know that the arrow direction is for polarity.

Using that logic, in a normal situation, If my panels are generating 600w, and the consumption clamp will detects and reports -100w to the envoy, then the envoy will compare the -100w reported from the consumption clamp and the 600w from the production clamp and then it will show 500w consumed rather than the -100w.