Entity or device with password/pin code protection

Hi guys,

I know that a lovecard card exists, but it is not secured enough for me.

I’d like to prevent my garage door to be accidentaly opened by using a pin or password protection.
Opening the garage let you go into the whole house, not very safe.

As the alarm panel already implements a pin protection (at low level, I can imagine), could this feature be implemented to any entity with a simple restriction or secure instruction in the yaml configuration?

For example:

switch:
  - platform: template
    switches:
      garagedoor:
        restriction:
          pin: 1234

I think that a backend solution should be looked into as a dashboard/ui can eventually be hacked.

That would be great !

Yes and no… The device is already protected by API auth. Some random unauthenticated person couldn’t just hit your HA instance and manipulate the device.

So, if a bad actor has compromised your very secure password, which contains letters, numbers, symbols, etc (lots of entropy), why would a 4 digit numeric pin be more secure?

You’re effectively wanting to protect against someone who has taken your phone, or is in your house already and has posession of your smart dashboard tablet, etc.

Or am I missing something?

That’s actually a very good point. You’ve convinced me.
I do have a very strong password with 2FA enabled and no local wifi connected unauthed device can access my HA instance. So yes, it can be considered as already enough secured.

Closing, thanks for pointing this out.

How did you set 2fa up for HA?

It’s built in Home Assistant: Multi-factor authentication - Home Assistant

1 Like

Wow, I didn’t know that :exploding_head: