Entity_registry, deleted items not deleted: bug or feature

HI,

when deleting entities in Hassio’s setup, these deleted entities are preserved in the registry. Is this per design of the entity_registry? Or is this a mere oversight, and is it on the to-do-list for improvements. Or is it simply a bug.

Would have hoped for a registry that gets sanitized, maybe at restart, to rescan for all entities. It must do so anyways for scanning new items to add. It should be able to delete the orphans…

As it stands, a very handy python script for finding these leftovers is developed the last couple of days, Script to find items that no longer exist by @NigelL, and this works quite fine.

I would like to know the answer to this too. After getting new iphones for my partner and I, I cannot remove the old devices. Each time I delete the items in the registry, they all return, with a new one of the same name + underscore new sequential number. Very frustrating.

my post is somewhat outdated see here How do I change the "node name"? for more actual info. You’re not alone…

I really hope this is solved in the future. To me I see this as the most talked about item on the forums atm. It’s as bad as letsencrypt was in 2017