Envisalink bat_trouble flip flops between true and false

I have an envisalink card with a honeywell panel and I created the following binary sensor:

• platform: template
    sensors:
    alarm_battery_trouble:
    friendly_name: “Alarm Battery Trouble”
    device_class: power
    value_template: “{{ is_state_attr(‘sensor.alarm_keypad’, ‘bat_trouble’, true) }}”

Whenever the system has battery trouble (low battery or whatever) the sensor flip flips between true / false every 2 or 3 seconds. When I use the state tool I also see the bat_trouble attribute flip flopping back and forth between true and false. The physical keypad itself just says LO BATTERY and so does the Envisalink itself.

I have seen a similar thing when I have more than three windows or doors open at the same time - the indication for open/close for each item does the same thing every few seconds.
Once I close everything except 3 windows/doors it reliably indicates the true status - tried to find out what causes it but could not and gave up.
I think the Envisalink card polls the status of the zones and gets in trouble when they are too many.

Maybe your issue is based on the same root cause.

Oh sh*t, I had not noticed that before. I don’t really have automations based on the sensors coming from Envisalink cause they don’t work when the system is armed anyways. So that had never occured to me, but I think you’re right that those issues might be related.

I use the state of alarm_control_panel.home_alarm for some of my automations - I found it very reliable.