EQ3 Bluetooth Smart Thermostats - buggy?

I wonder what the experiences are from others with these Thermostats. I have bought a couple as I didn’t want to go the zwave route but I’m not quite happy with the way the HASS component seems to work.

First of all the connection setup is a bit of a pain as only one device can have a BT connection with the thermostat and the BT stack automatically connects after a restart so you need to disconnect this before starting HASS otherwise it doesn’t find them.

Then I have noticed that the eq3btsmart platform is resetting the thermostat date/time and probably more every time it connects which basically makes the internal programming of the thermostat unusable. I wonder if that is intentional or a bug??

Anybody else using those?

Yes, the component does not really work. It keeps the devices always connected and uses the unnecessary, complicated and buggy bluetooth library bluepy for its very simple tasks. This is known and mentioned in this open bug report. When I find time I will rewrite this component.

1 Like

Thanks for pointing me in that direction… should have looked before buying them :wink:

Hi there,

This is my first post and I’m VERY new to all this,

I have been looking at adding eq-3 trv to my house and was wondering if the ones on the link below are ones that work.

Thanks
Alan

I am also interested in those bluetooth enabled thermostats. Any feedback from users using those with home assistant?

I got my thermostat yesterday. I was able to pair it. It shows up in HASS, but I am not able to control it via the GUI. The log shows errors while trying to connect to the thermostat. I am having the same issues reported here:
https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/issues/3885#issuecomment-275937995

I don`t think there is a way to get it running in a stable way?

Cheers,
Sascha

Hi

Aby updates for eq3 bt? Is it worth looking into ?

Thanks