Error booting Hassio!

My Home Assistant and Raspberry Pi suddenly did not respond and I could not connect to HA anymore.
When I try to restart I get these errors:

What can I do? Is it my SD card thats broken? Its a Sandisk Ultra 64GB XC1.

Or is it something else? Any help is appreciated… :slight_smile:

Sure looks like it. I hope you have a backup.

NO I DON’T!!! :frowning:

So there is NOTHING I Can do about it??

It has only been installed for a month or two, but I have really put Many hours on it…

Why is this??? Is Home Assistant really this unstable!? Or Is it me that have Done something wrong?

Im new to HA and making a backup was definitive on my ToDo list! Did not think I needed to do it so soon though… :roll_eyes:

I had the same issue happen to me yesterday after about a month of use. The PI got way too hot. I was able to get the configs using another computer but the device renames were lost. The SD card seems fine so I’m not entirely sure what the issue was but I’ve moved to a normal computer and so far everything is a lot better.

Ok, I will try to see if I can save my configuration with another computer…

But I dont like that I dont know why this happened! Last thing I did (I think?) was to configure iCloud 3.

I have tried iCloud3 before, but my HA was really really REALLY slow after this. Unusable actually, so I disabled it.

Now I tried it again to see if I was able to make it work propertly. But I know it was again really really slow… But I dont know why!
Dont think I was disabled it this time though… :frowning:

I’m sorry. Its never fun to loose any system. I don’t think HA is particularly unstable, and more likely the problem here is with the SD card and/or power supply for the Pi. I’ve been running for ~ 3 years on a Pi and outside of the first (budget) card I used, I have not have one corrupt.

It MIGHT be possible to mount the SD card on a Linux based system or VM and access the config (including your automations, etc) files, which is really the only thing needed to recover your system.

FYI - I did some quick testing this weekend with a pi-zeroW. I was able to do a scratch install of Hassio, remove the SD card, and then mount it in a Linux VM. Digging around, I mounted the 8th partition (in my case /dev/sd8) where I found the config files under …/supervisor/homeassistant.

1 Like

Ok, I managed to recover my config files… at least I have copied the files to a USB drive.

Now, I need either a new SD card as I cant install hassio on it as I got error if I try. So I guess the SD card is broken? It was a Sandisk Extreme 64GB card, so not a cheap copy.

Or should I Install hassio on a SSD disk instead? Or what brand should I use if I want to use SD card again? Dont really like that its allready broke my SD card after only a couple of month use…

Suggestions??

I have just had the same awful experience as @crazytok have. SD-card crash with no recovery option. You mention mounting to a Linux based system but is it still possible to do this when HassIo i running Docker ? Is the whole installation not isolated in a Docker image and then single file recovery is impossible? - I still need to see that Docker can resist major power failure without crashing everything - My question: Is Docker Safe to use in an Productive environment (Like HassIO)?

The short answer is yes, this example was with Hassio which is using docker. And Yes, Docker is suitable for production use. If you are concerned about power outage, I would suggest a small UPS. My Pi is right next to my router and shares a small UPS.

And now it’s my turn for the SD-card to break…
Instantly throwing the pi out for a nuc with a real ssd. I have read about this before so my backup i just a week old but still. No more SD-cards here :frowning:

1 Like