Error in configuration.yaml pointing to groups.yaml

Just started using HA. I have a number of things configured and working, but I see this error in the console (RPi3).

2020-06-25 20:24:50 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.config] Invalid config for [automation]:  (See /home/homeassistant/.homeassistant/configuration.yaml, line 9). 

Here is my config:

# Configure a default setup of Home Assistant (frontend, api, etc)
default_config:

# Text to speech
tts:
  - platform: google_translate

group: !include groups.yaml <-- Error points here
automation: !include automations.yaml
script: !include scripts.yaml
scene: !include scenes.yaml 

The groups file is empty. What an I missing?
Thanks

Did you try commenting the line out to see if that solves the problem? If so then I guess including an empty file is invalid.

Nice thought, but still same error pointing at the now commented line. I removed the line altogether and now the error points to line 8.

/home/homeassistant/.homeassistant/configuration.yaml, line 8

Which is:

automations: !automations.yaml

That file is not empty.

Then my guess is you have a problem in your automations.yaml. When you break up the configuration file the system has issues locating the line with the error some times. Try commenting out automations until the error disappears. The last removed will of course contain the error.

The error message clearly says that the problem is with an automation, and that the fault is on line 9. Line 9 is automation: !include automations.yaml, so I’m confused why you thought it was your groups that were the problem??

Revert your last change to your automations, or post what you changed and what you wanted it to do and we can help you fix it.

I never said the problem was in the groups file. I said the error pointed there. I noted the exact line where the error occurred in the post for clarity. Sorry for the confusion.

Not sure if this was a incorrect quote but

automations: !automations.yaml

Is not valid. It should be

automations: !include automations.yaml

I believe it should be:

automation: !include automations.yaml

Thats what mine is and for the record mine is empty.
All the constructs (not sure the proper nomenclature here) are non plural but the includes are plural (albeit i think you could name the include file whatever u wanted so long as it matched.
You can see here the yaml code is automation:
https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/automation/
The OP didn’t have the plural but the subsequent code/quotes did not sure which is accurate.
Do any of these includes work? seems like maybe you have a perms issue? or syntax issue its weird cause your subsequent quotes seem to change from the OP.

You are about the typo. initially, I removed the line instead of just commenting. I still got the error, it just pointed to the next line. I’ve corrected the type, but have not had the time to more serious digging.
Thanks for the reply