Error in Zigbee2mqtt: Error while opening serialport 'No such file or directory, cannot open /dev/ttyACM0'

Hi there, anyone has any ideas why?

My USB zigbee controller is running fine on Zigbee Home Automation.

Here’s the full log:

[s6-init] making user provided files available at /var/run/s6/etc...exited 0.
[s6-init] ensuring user provided files have correct perms...exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] applying ownership & permissions fixes...
[fix-attrs.d] done.
[cont-init.d] executing container initialization scripts...
[cont-init.d] socat.sh: executing... 
[12:00:47] INFO: Socat not enabled, marking service as down
[cont-init.d] socat.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] zigbee2mqtt.sh: executing... 
[12:00:47] INFO: MQTT available, fetching server detail ...
[12:00:47] INFO: MQTT server settings not configured, trying to auto-discovering ...
[12:00:48] INFO: Configuring 'mqtt://core-mosquitto:1883' mqtt server
[12:00:48] INFO: MQTT credentials not configured, trying to auto-discovering ...
[12:00:48] INFO: Configuring'addons' mqtt user
[12:00:48] INFO: Previous config file found, checking backup
[12:00:48] INFO: Creating backup config in '/config/zigbee2mqtt/.configuration.yaml.bk'
[12:00:48] INFO: Adjusting Zigbee2mqtt core yaml config with add-on quirks ...
[cont-init.d] zigbee2mqtt.sh: exited 0.
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
[services.d] done.
[12:00:49] INFO: Handing over control to Zigbee2mqtt Core ...

> [email protected] start
> node index.js

Zigbee2MQTT:error 2021-10-10 12:00:54: Error while starting zigbee-herdsman
Zigbee2MQTT:error 2021-10-10 12:00:55: Failed to start zigbee
Zigbee2MQTT:error 2021-10-10 12:05:24: Check https://www.zigbee2mqtt.io/information/FAQ.html#help-zigbee2mqtt-fails-to-start for possible solutions
Zigbee2MQTT:error 2021-10-10 12:05:24: Exiting...
Zigbee2MQTT:error 2021-10-10 12:05:24: Error: Error while opening serialport 'Error: Error: No such file or directory, cannot open /dev/ttyACM0'
    at SerialPort.<anonymous> (/app/node_modules/zigbee-herdsman/src/adapter/z-stack/znp/znp.ts:146:28)
    at SerialPort._error (/app/node_modules/zigbee-herdsman/node_modules/@serialport/stream/lib/index.js:198:14)
    at /app/node_modules/zigbee-herdsman/node_modules/@serialport/stream/lib/index.js:242:12

What stick ?

It’s a SMaBiT (Bitron Video)

I don’t see that stick on the supported device list for zigbee2mqtt

1 Like

Oh that explains it, thanks

I mean - the CHIP is mentioned on the supported list, it’s experimental but it is listed.
Regardless of whether the stick is supported or not, doesn’t really make any difference for this error though, the error is that it can’t open the serial port.

You mention that it works with ZHA, so the first question is - you did actually STOP ZHA from running before you attempted to try Zigbee2MQTT right? because only one app can access the port at a time.

1 Like

The SMaBiT looks ike it has a Silicon Labs Ember 3587 chip. However, as pointed out it’s “experimental” and per this thread most of them need to be re-flashed with some custom firmware to work. The linked thread below mentions some specific devices and instructions, but no SMaBiT is listed that I can see.

I agree that it’s possible the device is being used by another process or there is a hangup, but why go through the hassle of troubleshooting if it’s already working with ZHA, and you’re likely to have other issues because it’s “experimental”. Its possible the OP could somehow get this working, but I would want to hear from someone successfully running this device with zigbee2mqtt before investing more time into this.

Don’t get me wrong, I like zigbee2mqtt much more then ZHA, and use it myself, but zigbee2mqtt just doesn’t work with as many adapters. I had two adapters previously that didn’t work right with it. I finally went with the recommended zzh stick on the 3rd try and now it is working well. I wish I had just purchased it from the beginning instead of wasting time and money on other adapters.

1 Like

I’m probably just lucky. I got the ConbeeII stick before I noticed that it was also not 100% supported. I didn’t flash it or anything, I plugged it in and hoped for the best. It worked first time and has been stable and has a very good range. I just wish I had gone down the Zigbee route before I had heavily invested in ZWave…

1 Like

The conbee is a little bit of a different story vs the ezsp. The conbee support has been in zigbee2mqtt for awhile, and is much more widely used. I’ve seen many posts with people using the conbee with zigbee2mqtt just fine, although some have had issues. Here’s more discussion about the conbee support

This post is the first I’ve ever heard of someone trying the SMaBiT stick though.

I’ve thought that too especially with Chip/Matter. Zwave has its benefits though and I dont think it’s dead yet. Either way zwave and zigbee are both local at least, and I’ll take zwave any day over a cloud connected device after reading about this Tuya mess.

hi guys i am having similar issue and i am stucked. Any idea?

Hi @patapalo,

did you solve that issue? I switched from a Sonoff Dongle-E (experimental support, couldn’t get it running) to a Sonoff Dongle-P. The Sonoff Dongle-E was recognized as ttyACM0, the Sonoff Dongle-P as ttyUSB2.

When starting up zigbee2mqtt:
Error: Error while opening serialport ‘Error: Error: No such file or directory, cannot open /dev/ttyUSB2’

Thanks for any hints!
KR